Facebook app won't download/update

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by hexon, Nov 8, 2013.

1. hexon macrumors member

my phone told me there was an update for Facebook today. When I tried to install it, it just put the Facebook app into "waiting" and keeps popping up with a dialog box that says "unable to download app 'Facebook' could not be downloaded at this time." I restored my phone (even in DFU mode) and now it won't let me put the Facebook app on my phone at all. I tried downloading it with iTunes on my mac and it keeps telling me there is an error downloading the artwork and refuses to work that way either. Any ideas?

2. wilky76 macrumors regular

wilky76

Same problem here with the update not downloading.

The update to Facebook released a couple of days ago was terrible it would just crash constantly.

You think with after all these years you think they figured out by now how to make an app that didn't crash or break something else when they bring out updates for it. :/

3. hexon thread starter macrumors member

4. SayCheese macrumors 6502a

Same issue here.
    Arghh, I use FB for my business and I use it from the phone a lot.
    Hope they fix this soon.

5. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

Facebook might have pulled it from the store. Everybody I know who downloaded the latest update says their app crashes as soon as they open it, including mine and all of the people who commented on the apps review page.

6. JayBuchanan macrumors newbie

I was able to install the update by deleting the Facebook app and then re-installing from the App Store.

7. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

just delete it from the phone, connect to iTunes and and sync the old version back

8. digitalfailure macrumors regular

The troublesome update was 6.7 facecack have released 6.7.1 as a bug fix for it but it currently doesn't download.

Strangely, 6.7 has been very stable for me on iPad 3 and iPhone 5s so far which is nice as my 5s doesn't usually need an excuse to blue screen or springboard.

9. Unhyper macrumors regular

Unhyper

Even after I delete it and download it fresh from the App Store, it claims there is an update for it, which it refuses to actually download.

10. digitalfailure macrumors regular

I can't even open fb now on any of my idevices since it failed to download.

11. Fantasigraphic macrumors 65816

Go into updates and press the STOP button in the Facebook app update section and that'll let you use the crappy app again!

12. jer04 macrumors regular

jer04

I wish I saw this post sooner. I have been having this problem since the 9th of oct after I picked up a new iPad and was installing all the essentials. Tried everything including hard reset, restore and etc. :( Then I realized it didn't work on my iPhone as well.....it's clearly facebook's fault since other apps can be downloaded without a fuss.

13. Gryfter macrumors 6502

Gryfter

go on facebook through your web browsers (safari, chrome, etc...) and not the app...

problem solved...

14. SayCheese macrumors 6502a

Didn't know I could do that. Thanks for the heads up.
    The app is back to working again.

15. confucious macrumors 6502

On my iP5 running iOS 7.03 just stopping the update is fine.
    On my iPad3 running iOS6.1 JailBroken canceling the update just left me a grey icon and it wouldn't open -it just tried to download (and failed) again. Deleting it on my iPad it won't download at all now.
    What OS are other people on who are havin problems downloading?

16. Ledsteplin macrumors 6502

Ledsteplin

I have the same issue on my iPhone 5. I deleted the app, then downloaded back from my purchased list. That worked for me. It's not the new updated version, but it works. The update is still waiting in the App Store.

17. kolax macrumors G3

Looks like the 6.7.1 update had a major bug in it so it's been pulled. It will automatically install when it's live again.

18. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I was just about make a thread on this issue. In any case, its ok. Im being weened off of facebook. Eventually you just stop caring. I wish Apple wouldnt pollute their OS by tying it to FB.

19. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

The OS version has nothing to do with it. Facebook is the issue. Unless you can reload version 6.6 from your computer via iTunes, you'll have to settle with Safari for your FB fix.

20. confucious macrumors 6502

On iOS7 I can just stop the update and my old version still works. It doesn't on my iOS6 device. We all know FB is broken but I can still use FB on my iOS 7 device without having to reload from iTunes.

21. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Nope. Sorry. Tried that and it won't let me open the app. All I get is a grayed out icon that won't open.

22. confucious macrumors 6502

What device and OS?

23. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

5S. iOS 7. Too late now. I deleted it and tried to reinstall. That'll teach me to troubleshoot...

24. kolax macrumors G3

25. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yeah looks like it's finally working.