MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Facebook today announced that it has begun testing ads in the Messenger app. The test will be limited to users in Australia and Thailand and will allow businesses to place ads on the Messenger home screen below favorite users and most recent conversations.

messengeradsfv.png

The company says that "no one will see an ad in a conversation without clicking on an ad experience on the Messenger home screen or starting a conversation with a brand." Facebook assures that ads will not "originate" in conversations.

Facebook says businesses have told the company that they're excited to use the Messenger platform to connect to its billion users, driving sales and building brand awareness. Currently, Facebook runs ads on its News Feed that, when clicked, take users into Messenger conversations with brands. This has helped person-to-business messaging grow popular, with Facebook saying over a billion messages are sent a month between people and businesses.

Messenger users will have "complete control" over their experience, and will be able to either hide or report specific ads using a dropdown menu, similar to how users can report ads on their News Feed. Additionally, advertisers are not allowed to directly message users unless the user initiates the conversation.

The test will only work for a "very small group" of people in Australia and Thailand, and Facebook says the company will take its time before it considers further expansion.

Article Link: Facebook Begins Testing Ads in Messenger App

xsdeus

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012
San Diego, CA
I already hate that the Messenger app
keeps resurfacing "Active Now" and "Favorites" list— especially since the latter is nowhere close to even having a sliver of accuracy in my case.

This just makes me hate facebook even more. It's been a necessary evil in my life, but it keeps inching closer to deletion every year.

Comment

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
Makes sense from a business perspective. With all the alternative internet communication apps, though, doesn't make sense from a consumer perspective to still use.

Comment

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
The company says that "no one will see an ad in a conversation without clicking on an ad experience on the Messenger home screen or starting a conversation with a brand." Facebook assures that ads will not "originate" in conversations.​

"see an ad in a conversation"? "clicking on an ad experience"? "starting a conversation with a brand"?

It all makes me want to interface my disgust reflex and have a conversation with my repulsion experience.

I take it they mean 'you won't get spammed unless you ask for it'.

Comment

Zedcars

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Brighton, UK
I dumped Facebook and Messenger over a year ago and don't miss them in the slightest. There are plenty of other ways to keep in touch with people. What does worry me is WhatsApp since that's what I mainly use now. Apple's attempt to try to make Messages more like Messenger and WhatsApp hasn't really worked in my opinion. But if Facebook start sticking ads into WhatsApp then I will probably just go back to plain old text messages.

Comment

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
What I find most incredible is that people is OK with this, they continue to use the product even though they hate the ads and they keep adding them on every corner of their services. That's why Facebook is still big.

Comment

zhang96

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2016
Ottawa
I am not comfortable with the whole “Ad model”.
Yes, some might say you are using free apps, so they can have your data. Some might also say “I got nothing to hide, so I don’t care about encryption or mass data collection by social media”.
But here’s the thing, Facebook is trying too hard.
Instagram was a success acquisition, but there are Ads in every three post. Facebook used to be a platform for communicating and sharing, but it was being flooded by fake news. As a human being who wants to make his own decision, I don’t want frequent advertisement and autoplay video to make me buy something. I must admit Facebook does know what I’d like to buy, but I wanted to make my own decision and I know I am able to make decisions.

Facebook is not toxic by any means, it has came a long way, it is still a successful product and I can see it being one for the next 3, 5 years. But I guess I am a bit weird, I prefer long article that is certainly not 140 characters, I prefer fact and knowledgable content over jokes, I prefer chatting in person over clicking like button for someone you haven’t met for years, I prefer encryption over convenience, I prefer Telegram, Signal, ProtonMail, iMessage, DuckDuckGo, 500px, blogs, podcasts, books over Facebook Messenger, Outlook, Gmail, Google Facebook, autoplay videos, Instagram, twitter and everything that is trying to collect as much data as possible under the facade of “Making the World a Better Place” or “Provide the Best User Experience”.

Everyone have a right to choose, I don’t blame or will discriminate anyone for using the things I don’t like, but there are better things, and you can use them.

Comment

chr1s60

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
California
Another service that lures people into it as free then puts ads.

This is the world we live in. People as a majority seem to want cheap or free apps that work flawlessly. The flawless or working towards flawless part is a result of hours and hours of development and the money to pay those people needs to come from somewhere. The easiest way to get that money and have the largest possible user base is ads. This is a trend that won't be going away any time soon.
[doublepost=1485415696][/doublepost]
It's the worst because it is not available on other platforms.

It is compatible with everything, just switches to text and you lose some features. No different than any other app for messaging if you message someone not using the app.

Comment

n-evo

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
Facebook is invested with ads, advetorials, fake news and click bait articles these days. I see more of those than actual posts of "friends", most of them being filtered away without asking. It's only fitting Facebook Messenger is heading the same way I guess?

Last edited:
Comment

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
When the CEO of a social network is young and has a team of people to run his own page you know your product is ****ed beyond belief. Facebook isn't a social network. It's an ad network. Zucky-baby seen photographed with his favourite users:

CJ565Nh.jpg

Reactions: Johnny London
Comment

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
The amount of times I use messenger , this will not bother me, though I hate ads in apps. Poor experience for those using messenger on a regular basis
[doublepost=1485421530][/doublepost]
When the CEO of a social network is young and has a team of people to run his own page you know your product is ****ed beyond belief. Facebook isn't a social network. It's an ad network. Zucky-baby seen photographed with his favourite users:

CJ565Nh.jpg

Love the irony of the bloke in the middle being on a MacBook .....only computer you see

Reactions: Shirasaki
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.