Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iLoveiTunes

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
sending pics takes forever on iMessage and i cannot see if someone is/was online to have read the message. some might call it stalking i personally LOVE it

oh, so your poor internet connection is to be blamed for it... Yeap right

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
Please explain why iMassage is inferior to WhatsApp? :confused:
In my opinion I prefer iMessage, especially as it's integrated with normal messages. However iMessage isn't cross platform, and as far as I'm aware it doesn't allow group chats.

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
WSJ says it is 19 Billion, not 16.

Facebook said in a regulatory filing that it would acquire all outstanding stock and options in WhatsApp for about 183.9 million of its shares, valued at about $12 billion. The deal also includes $4 billion in cash and an additional $3 billion in restricted stock units to be granted to WhatsApp's founders and employees.

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
sending pics takes forever on iMessage and i cannot see if someone is/was online to have read the message. some might call it stalking i personally LOVE it

I HATED that "feature" of WhatsApp. I don't care if people know if (and when) I read their message, but I hate that it shows when I was last online. I had people at work on there, and I could find out if they were chatting away on there with other people because it says "Online Now" or whatever. I don't really care for that aspect of it.

As for iMessage, I don't know what's going on with yours, but my pictures are always super quick.

elev8d

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
Ha ridiculous.

Whatsapp is the most popular messaging app though, but, like most things that are "most popular" its not the best or prettiest. Messageme is a lot nicer but barely used, even Kik is a bit better. Whatsapp are always about 4 months before everyone else with big iOS or iPhone changes too.

Kik is most definitely better, unless you like getting unsolicited messages from telemarketers/scammers.

Whatsapp is clean and efficient and works without any issues which makes it better. I'm upset that they are selling to fb and I wish they had stayed independent. I'm probably going to jump platforms now. :(

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Ridiculous. Thats me done with Whatsapp then. Was already started to wean myself away from it anyway.

Goldfinger

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2006
Belgium
Not surprising. An insane amount. Also disappointing but, resistance is futile...

Deleting whatsapp means no more communication for me. Everybody uses it (even with most people here having unlimited SMS). iMessage is not even close to being an alternative. There are no alternatives really because of the huge userbase and the app being cross platform.
You can cry all you want and shout about deleting whatsapp, switching to Line, viber and whatnot. The reality is that your contacts/friends won't care one bit about FB buying whatsapp and they'll all just continue using it.

teejaysplace

macrumors member
May 24, 2006
$16 billion seems blisteringly over-valued, particularly for a single free app. To put it in perspective, George Lucas sold the entire Star Wars empire for 1/4 of that and there are infinitely more ways to monazite an entertainment franchise. It seems almost unfathomable that Facebook will ever see a full return on this investment. This might be the misstep that they look back on in 10 years as the one that upended the ship. If I'm Wallstreet, I'm definitely not bullish today.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
This is really bad news. Sorry to hear that, but what other alternatives would you suggest? Viber? I wouldn't mind using text, but not all over the world they are unlimited in our cariers' plans and forexample the hangouts application on androdi is a mess. WhatsApp was amazing insharing position, piftures and everything so easily...
I'm really dissapointed with this...

Facebook messenger, Skype, MessageMe, Kik, BBM, iMessage, SMS, Email, Twitter, Viber, Line, WeChat, Tango Messenger, VooVoo, Google Hangouts, TextMe, imo, XMS, GroupMe, Path, Kakoa Talk, Cubie, Hike, Maaii, Rounds, Snapchat, Nimbuzz, ChatON, Voxer, Yahoo Messenger, Text 2 Group, Instamessage, IM+, Molto, Hipchat, DiDi, iMessenger, Textie, Yak Messenger, WaZapp, Upptalk, iGotChat, Palringo Messenger, Coco, Telegram Messenger, Bobsled Messaging, Chat for OMegle, Libon, Truphone...

There are 49 alternatives for you.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
I HATED that "feature" of WhatsApp. I don't care if people know if (and when) I read their message, but I hate that it shows when I was last online. I had people at work on there, and I could find out if they were chatting away on there with other people because it says "Online Now" or whatever. I don't really care for that aspect of it.

As for iMessage, I don't know what's going on with yours, but my pictures are always super quick.
You do realise that the 'last seen' isn't actually official. Whats app have already said it can be manipulated by pings sent from them or from the phone which is just updating the information to make sure it hasn't missed any messages etc. It's very much like the Facebook messenger in that it's not an actually indication that they are online. On both services I have seen people who I am sat with who are obviously not online but it says they are. In fact for the Facebook one I have seen my friends profile say that I am online though I hadn't been on Facebook all day.

dammyonline

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2010
London
Not surprising. An insane amount. Also disappointing but, resistance is futile...

Deleting whatsapp means no more communication for me. Everybody uses it (even with most people here having unlimited SMS). iMessage is not even close to being an alternative. There are no alternatives really because of the huge userbase and the app being cross platform.
You can cry all you want and shout about deleting whatsapp, switching to Line, viber and whatnot. The reality is that your contacts/friends won't care one bit about FB buying whatsapp and they'll all just continue using it.

I agree with you and quite frankly not really bothered about the buyout...well as long as the guys at Facebook aren't thinking of doing something as silly as merging it with their messenger service :/

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Apple messed up so royally by not buying WhatsApp years ago. Same goes for Google.

iMessage and Hangouts are vastly inferior.

Well played, Facebook.
you make it seem like it's the end all of messaging. There is always a bigger fish

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
In my opinion all Apple have to do is make iMessage cross plat form (though include a subscription charge for non iDevices, maybe extend it's offering to PC's), add multiple chat support and they could win the race for messaging.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
On the plus side, I guess this would mean the app will become permanently free (instead of $1/year).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.