Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Oculus owner Facebook may soon allow its Oculus virtual reality headsets to report workout data to the Apple Health app, reports Bloomberg.

facebook-oculus.jpg

The Oculus iPhone app has code that would allow workouts completed with the Oculus headset to be recorded in the Health app like other workout data. The Oculus app would be able to report health-related metrics like exercise minutes and number of calories burned.

Third-party apps have long been able to provide workout and fitness data that's aggregated in the Health app using the dedicated HealthKit API.

As Bloomberg points out, the code's presence in the Oculus app does not mean the feature will actually see a launch.

Article Link: Facebook Considering Apple Health Integration for Oculus Workouts

coolman124

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2021
to write to apple health data you also have the ability to read health data so yeah let's just say I'm never giving them access

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
This is good news. Not that I will be purchasing one or giving Facebook access, but hopefully this will push other VR headset OEMs to do the same.

wigby

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007

Oculus owner Facebook may soon allow its Oculus virtual reality headsets to report workout data to the Apple Health app, reports Bloomberg.

facebook-oculus.jpg

The Oculus iPhone app has code that would allow workouts completed with the Oculus headset to be recorded in the Health app like other workout data. The Oculus app would be able to report health-related metrics like exercise minutes and number of calories burned.

Third-party apps have long been able to provide workout and fitness data that's aggregated in the Health app using the dedicated HealthKit API.

As Bloomberg points out, the code's presence in the Oculus app does not mean the feature will actually see a launch.

Article Link: Facebook Considering Apple Health Integration for Oculus Workouts
I'll wait for Apple's own AR workouts like any sensible user would do.

4jasontv

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2011
Y’all saying no because it’s Facebook but you aren’t even giving any consideration to the idea of strapping something expensive and easily broken that isn’t waterproof to your face and then maximizing your ability to aggressively flail about until you’re dehydrated and out of breath.

scheinderrob

macrumors regular
May 6, 2021
**** facebook. i tried to make an account and was banned the next day even though i hadn't posted or done anything other than sign up. there's even no appeal function. i just got caught up in some algorithm and there's nothing i can do about it.

mook

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2006
They get fogged up with minimal use, so I can't imagine using them for workouts 😂

Reactions: tubular

genovelle

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2008
This is good news. Not that I will be purchasing one or giving Facebook access, but hopefully this will push other VR headset OEMs to do the same.
Here is the problem with that. Oculus was originally an independent VR company. If they still were and did this, our information would belong to Facebook if they were to buy them later.

jlocker

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2011
Lake Michigan
I love mine, you just need to get the right headband with the right padded face plate.

I think you can be scared of anything and media just like to sell advertising themselves. Don't trust your internet provider. Don't trust the local gas station, Don't trust your neighbor, Don't trust the Star Bucks.

But people will go out and buy some Chinese WIFI internet router, because it is cheap and don't think twice about it.

Oh and if you think a VPN can hide your data think again, if they want to see it they can see it. Oh! I can crack a fire stick and steal tv with Kodi and they are never going to catch me! Incorrect!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.