Facebook Details Several Privacy Changes Coming in the Wake of Cambridge Analytica Scandal

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 4, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Facebook Chief Technology Officer Mike Shroepfer today wrote a blog post outlining several changes that are being made to Facebook APIs to limit the amount of data apps can collect from Facebook users.

Changes are being made to the Events, Groups, and Pages API to cut down on what apps can see. With the Events API, for example, apps will no longer be able to access attendees or posts on the event wall, and the Groups API will no longer provide member lists or names associated with posts or comments.

[​IMG]

Facebook will also now need to approve third-party access to both Groups and Pages APIs, and, as mentioned previously, all apps that access information like check-ins, photos, posts, and videos. Apps will no longer be able to see religious or political views, relationship status, education, work history, and tons more, all of which was previously readily available.

It is also no longer possible to search for a person's phone number or email address to locate them on Facebook. Facebook says "malicious actors" have used this feature to "scrape public profile information" using data pulled from search and account recovery options.

For Android users, Facebook had been collecting call and message logs to enable Messenger features. Facebook says it will delete all logs older than a year and will upload less data to its servers going forward.

Starting next Monday, Facebook will also introduce a link at the top of the News Feed to let all users see what apps are installed and what information has been shared with those apps to make it easy for less technically savvy users to remove apps.

The Facebook privacy changes come in the wake of the ongoing Cambridge Analytica scandal, where Cambridge Analytica used personal data acquired from Facebook in an illicit manner by a third-party app to create targeted political advertisements during the 2016 election.

[​IMG]

Originally, Facebook said Cambridge Analytica was able to collect data on 50 million Facebook users, but today, Facebook clarified that it actually had access to the Facebook data from up to 87 million people, with 70 million of those in the United States.

Article Link: Facebook Details Several Privacy Changes Coming in the Wake of Cambridge Analytica Scandal

2. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

This company along with Google are just evil. IMHO

3. RMHeat2179 macrumors newbie

4. luvbug macrumors regular

luvbug

Deleted my account, although I hadn't touched it in years. They can make all the changes they want, and say whatever, but I'm sure everything (user information) will still be available for a price, or a court order.

5. macusermdm macrumors newbie

I deleted my Facebook account a few days ago. Their data handling is concerning, but I just got too irritated with all the negativity and hate on it. I reported, and many other did too, a person threatening to send two teenage girls wearing headscarves back to ‘their’ country in a body bag. Facebook replied that the comment didn’t violate their community standards. I don’t think Facebook has any standards and I don’t need to be part of it.

So, I left Facebook and I’m feeling much better.

6. Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

This might punish Facebook, but your privacy is lost forever as the users are not FBs customers, the advertising industry is. Going further, I‘m keen to see how FB will handle privacy once its profit will decrease. Yet, deleting the account is obviously the first step.

7. rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

I love Facebook. I really hope poeple don't stop using it.

8. kstotlani macrumors 6502a

But isn’t your data already with Facebook clients. Probably prevented from going to new clients. I am not sure if Facebook allows their clients to take the data to their own servers. Anyone?

9. redneckitengineer macrumors regular

redneckitengineer

I ditched Facebook in 2011, ditched every social media in 2012. Any company this powerful should be regulated. They may tell the government and you whatever you want to hear to keep you around, but buddy... there’s backroom deals and water cooler chats that you couldn’t imagine happening.

10. tkukoc macrumors 65816

tkukoc

Dumped messenger a while ago and moved to Line, next up is my facebook account. Back to good old email and snail mail.

11. EdT macrumors 65816

EdT

Facebooks also going to test another security policy where if a company offers to buy your private data FB will notify you that someone is offering them money for your data but if you pay FB they won’t sell them the information.

And if you pay them a lot more they won’t laugh at the fact that you were dumb enough to believe them.

12. TheBruno macrumors member

TheBruno

In addition to privacy, Facebook is horribly designed and invasive. It's the most bloated form of social media there is: they want to know everything they can about you, and it surprises me how many people are comfortable entering their work info, their spouse's name, photos of their children, and dozens of other personal details about themselves without question. Never mind the fact they're turning over a profile to Facebook's marketing division that puts them in the headlights of advertisers; hey, it's free!

Reminds me of another giant company whose privacy practices and profile building are as equally creepy...

13. now i see it macrumors 68030

Man someone's really gotta be addicted to Facebook to continue wanting to use it after all this.

14. Will.O.Bie macrumors 6502

Will.O.Bie

It's too little, too late. The damage has been done and I don't think anyone with the right mind would ever trust them again. I pity them for trusting them in the first place.

15. TrowaNY macrumors newbie

If your data has already been sold, and is out there what good does deleting your account do? There are people just deleting Facebook, but not Instagram or WhatsApp
    Meanwhile no one seems to care about the data breach at the Equifax or the unreported breaches that are happening daily. Whatever "They" you believe in already has our information, one of them being Apple .

16. Glockworkorange macrumors 65816

Glockworkorange

Their entire business model is just taking your data.

These “changes” will change very little.

17. mariusignorello macrumors 65816

Until their servers are completely sanitized of any data nobody will forgive them. Facebook is the scum of the earth.

18. xero9 macrumors 6502a

Sadly, I don't think a lot of people care. No one I was friends with seemed to even mention it, and there was certainly no #deletefacebook activity as far as I could find.

19. johnnyturbouk, Apr 4, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2018

johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    I’m done with Facebook, have had since jan 2007, and stopped using it after 2012. Only use it to send messages to immediate family and friends. I was always a bit suspicious about their business model and the recent events only corroborated my suppositions. I’m so glad Tim Cook called them out on their nefarious practices!
    I do hope them, Twitter and Google get regulated, they have become a haven and an echo chamber for virtue signalling BS!

20. rynx9 Suspended

rynx9

I deactivated and deleted Facebook a couple years ago. I don’t have any Google accounts anymore. I basically only use Twitter now. I don’t use my real name or info but I’m sure Twitter still knows more than they should about me and my internet browsing habits. :confused:

21. Dominicanyor macrumors 6502a

Dominicanyor

22. jermwhl macrumors regular

jermwhl

I'm really on the fence about deleting facebook. I don't post anything there anymore - I just use it to keep up with my family since I travel so much. I've never used any of the external apps/facebook logins (aside from Farmville years ago when that was a thing). I was aware of why all those third-party apps wanted you to log-in with your facebook credentials. But like others on here mentioned, facebook has become so hateful and toxic, I despise going on there. Even my family members that I hope to just see photos of have started participating in the toxicity that has enveloped the site. Social media in general is getting to be that way. Maybe deleting ALL of them is the best solution.

23. mariusignorello macrumors 65816

It’s really sad. Facebook has given it to people up the butt and the users just take it passively. Since when is Facebook that important?

24. fairuz macrumors 68000

fairuz

There's nothing they can do to make up for distributing literal spyware on Android. And did they even stop recording call logs?

25. WBRacing, Apr 5, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018

WBRacing macrumors 6502a

WBRacing

Loving the Google hate in this thread. It's as if the posters have never made use of / benefited from Google's existence or the many services provided by them, all without ever having to pay anything directly for them.

The hypocrisy, you can almost taste it.