Facebook Getting Refreshed Look on Desktop and Mobile

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 30, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Facebook's developer conference, F8, took place today, and Facebook announced a number of changes coming to the social network in the future.

Facebook is set to gain a refreshed design, that's meant to be "simpler, faster, and more immersive," situating Facebook Groups more prominently. The new design will "make it easy" for people to transition from public spaces to more private ones.

[​IMG]

There's a redesigned Groups tab to make it easier to find content from your groups, along with a new discovery tool for recommendations for new groups. Content from groups may show up more prominently in the News Feed, and content from the News Feed will be able to be shared directly with groups.

New features for specific types of groups are coming, such as an option to post without a name in a health support group and an option for employers to post job openings in job groups. Gaming groups will get a chat feature, and Buy and Sell groups are getting an option that will let people ask questions and place orders during live broadcasts.

A "Meet New Friends" feature is coming to help people start friendships with new people from shared communities like a school, workplace, or city, and this summer, a new Events tab is coming to allow users to see what's happening around them.

Facebook's redesign is rolling out on mobile devices starting today and will be available on the desktop site "in the next few months."

As was announced earlier today, Facebook also plans to introduce a Messenger app for macOS, a re-engineered mobile Messenger app, a feature for watching videos with friends, and a dedicated space for messaging close friends and family.

During today's event, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg also said that privacy will be more of a focus going forward. Facebook will focus on six principles as it makes site and app changes in the future: private interactions, encryption, reduced permanence for content, safety, interoperability, and secure data storage.

"Over the next few years we are going to build more of our services around these ideas," Zuckerberg said. "This isn't just about building features. We need to change a lot of the different ways that we run this company today."

Article Link: Facebook Getting Refreshed Look on Desktop and Mobile

2. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

Yet another service being made to look like a mobile app.

3. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Facebook is smart. They continue to revamp their "deathstar" app so they can continue to keep many people hooked on their app, even though they continue to lie and abuse law and policy.

In my opinion, people need to start boycotting Facebook. Treat it as malware that compromises your privacy and security.

4. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

5. PierJes macrumors newbie

PierJes

I do not have much faith in Facebook.
    They found a new way to peek in our personal data.

6. UltraPower macrumors newbie

UltraPower

If you’re worried about privacy, then get off the internet entirely.

7. busyscott macrumors regular

busyscott

I’m curious to see how this works for them. New features and designs are often only embraced, at least at first, by early adopters and trend setters, many of whom left the platform long ago. A major change now could potentially only serve to alienate the trend followers that are left, this could be the beginning of the end.

The security stance is laughable! Even Zuckerberg had a hard time not laughing at the idea that their company would have privacy as a core value. I would have a hard time believing it even if he came off as sincere...which he didn’t.

8. Smith288 macrumors 65816

Smith288

9. Böhme417 macrumors 6502a

I really, really hate this. I feel like almost all news sites have shifted to this, and viewing them on an actual computer leaves tons of wasted space.

10. Victor Mortimer macrumors regular

Victor Mortimer

Weird, I thought I was reading MacRumors, not F*c*bookRumors.

11. elvisimprsntr macrumors 6502

12. BWhaler macrumors 68030

BWhaler

13. Mr. Dee macrumors 68000

Mr. Dee

Sometimes I find myself mindlessly swiping down in Facebook then I regain conciousness and remember to go to bed. Its addictive and not in a good way. They have set it up to make you keep scrolling hoping to find something exciting but its actually nothing there. Its just a huge time suck machine.

Surprisingly, I don't have that same experience with Twitter app or Instagram.

14. macsba macrumors 6502

Doesn't matter. I'll never be a facebook member. I'll never trust their security.

15. jrriney macrumors newbie

Too little too late. You f*cked over your community, Zuck, now it’s time to lay in that bed you made.

16. calstanford Suspended

So it looks like the stupid step-child of Twitter and Google+. Cool Zuck.

17. DoogH macrumors member

I am glad to see they're putting effort into improving privacy and taking emphasis off the news feed.

18. theapplehead macrumors 6502

theapplehead

My favorite part of this whole article. He finally decides to make privacy a focus. But lets be honest, we all know it will never happen.

19. fairuz macrumors 68020

fairuz

I quit Facebook half because the site was too slow to load and too laggy to use, so this sounds good.

20. Gsmaniac macrumors member

I’ve got this new look on my iPhone already. Lipstick on a pig.

21. dannys1 macrumors 68020

dannys1

For me I have this experience with Instagram more than Facebook.

22. 0947347 Suspended

Like a lipstick on a rectum.
    Come on, just put that git in a jail and shut that service down already. So much disregard for users and still going strong.

23. chucker23n1 macrumors 68020

chucker23n1

There’s way too much white in that redesign. So featureless, cold, boring.

“If you’re worried about getting your house broken into, have you tried going homeless?”

24. 0947347 Suspended

Yes just ban the users not the services, well done.

Internet is “mostly” fine. It’s a tool you need to know how to use. That is all
    --- Post Merged, May 1, 2019 ---
    You mean, bed with billions of dollars? Hopefully it will not be in coins :) that may end up like the Duck Tales intro, when the Scrooge (i think that was the name) always jumped in a big pool of coins and swam in it

25. itsamacthing macrumors 6502a

I uninstalled the spyware from all my devices