Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryanfacer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
Hi

I am spending a few months in china and I have just noticed that Facebook is blocked. Is there any way to get onto it with a Mac? Dont mind paying but I need to be able to upload pics and videos.

Cheers

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Not really. Besides, you wouldn't want to get caught on those kinds of sites in China.

Suanmiao

macrumors member
May 3, 2008
no worries

just use any reputable VPN service, it's fine you won't get arrested or anything.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
You're pretty much screwed if you get arrested using it. Buy a good, real book?

NickZac

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2010
Are you guys actually serious? I am assuming you are but I never knew it was more than a 'social taboo'...it's actually against the law to use?!?!

deeesea

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2010
don't know what you guys are talking about, I lived in nanjing for a few months, facebook works. it's just PAINFULLY slow. SO EFFING PAINFULLY SLOW.

but it works. also, try vladia or something, perhaps it'll work.
It's not like you'll get fed to the dogs if you're caught on FACEBOOK. you'll get fed to the dogs if you're caught on any website talking about the june 4th tiananmen massacre ;)

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
To the OP, I have previously worked and lived in China. Look for a good VPN provider to access facebook. It is blocked that is why it cannot be accessed there but it is not against the law. It is just chinese paranoia creeping in.

DLovett

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2010
Jesus christ, people really are talking out of their arses here.

Simply download the program "Freedur", pay $10 a month and you can now visit Facebook, Twitter and YouTube. It will slow your connection down ever so slighty, but nothing worth mentioning.

Used this while I worked in PRC for 6 months. If you are near Hong Kong, you can use a wi-fi spot there to download it, since there is no censorship in Hong Kong.

ryanfacer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
Cheers

Thanks for the help everyone. I have got it working with a VPN, costs $34 a year but it works very well.

I have been told I don't have to worry about being thrown into prison, my chinese wives dad is a government official and he said it's ok and at the very worst it is no worse than a parking ticket.

bobfitz14

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2008
Massachusetts
Why has Facebook been blocked over there anyway? Facebook would earn so much more revenue if the massive population in China had access to it...

well i don't have a definitive answer but it's probably the Chinese government that is blocking it and not Facebook itself preventing access, and i bet China doesn't care at all about Facebook's potential revenue.

ryanfacer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
It is the government that is blocking it, it's not just facebook but most social networking sites like twitter, YouTube etc. I guess they don't want the public seeing what the rest of the world is upto or something like that.

I'm not that big on facebook but it's the best way with keeping in touch with frends and family while I am away.

Wafflausages

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
^Yea my friend just went to hong kong and she accessed facebook (well im assuming) because she was posting up pictures while she was there :p

LikuidMetal

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2010
Irving Texas
Hi

I am spending a few months in china and I have just noticed that Facebook is blocked. Is there any way to get onto it with a Mac? Dont mind paying but I need to be able to upload pics and videos.

Cheers

WOW! Thats great, you're an American going to China, trying to access Facebook. I can see this become an international Breaking news topic on CNN. You're going to get your head chopped off. Dude you really have to look into the laws before you go to another country. Not trying to be a jerk, I just wouldn't want to see a fellow American get screwed by some whack jobs. Be careful man.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
WOW! Thats great, you're an American going to China, trying to access Facebook. I can see this become an international Breaking news topic on CNN. You're going to get your head chopped off. Dude you really have to look into the laws before you go to another country. Not trying to be a jerk, I just wouldn't want to see a fellow American get screwed by some whack jobs. Be careful man.

They won't chuck you in the slammer unless your in a communist part of China perhaps. Anyway, they wouldn't want to do that, it would be BAD publicity!

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Hi

Cheers

From what I've heard I don't think its a good idea...Idk about you but I don't want to get caught, arrested and hung by my testicles while two 3 feet tall asians beat me with a red star because I needed to update my facebook status to "LoL china is so awesome!".

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
They won't chuck you in the slammer unless your in a communist part of China perhaps. Anyway, they wouldn't want to do that, it would be BAD publicity!

Publicity? ... what, that you disappeared never to be heard from again?

and are now working in a melamine factory

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Publicity? ... what, that you disappeared never to be heard from again?

and are now working in a melamine factory

You can just imagine the headline: AMERICAN MAN VISITING CHINA CHUCKED IN JAIL FOR USING FACEBOOK

It would scare a lot of tourists away from going there because they'd think the Chinese authorities were loonies and will put them away forever for pretty much no reason.

-Just stick to Hong Kong. There a lot of the communist rules don't apply and your protected from the looney chinese authorities :D

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
You can just imagine the headline: AMERICAN MAN VISITING CHINA CHUCKED IN JAIL FOR USING FACEBOOK

It would scare a lot of tourists away from going there because they'd think the Chinese authorities were loonies and will put them away forever for pretty much no reason.

-Just stick to Hong Kong. There a lot of the communist rules don't apply and your protected from the looney chinese authorities :D

people actually visit mainland China? :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.