Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eric.c

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2009
You can always try hotspot shield :)

Don't bother with the app that they have. It forces MacBook Pros to use the nVidia GPU.

Go here
http://hotspotshield.com/clientless/iphone/get_started.php

to get a username and password.

Then go to system preferences > network

Click the little plus button to add a VPN connection.

For VPN type choose Cisco IPSEC)

Then add the server name, account name and password.

Go to Authentication settings and add the shared secret too.

Now you get access to the entire internet in China :) Enjoy.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY

Don't bother with the app that they have. It forces MacBook Pros to use the nVidia GPU.

Go here

OP hasn't replied yet. He must be dead...good job Eric.:D:eek:

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
It's disgusting how many Americans think China = North Korea. Their media is mostly to blame for that.

Suanmiao

macrumors member
May 3, 2008

Go here

hotspot shield is blocked here since last year

Suanmiao

macrumors member
May 3, 2008
From what I've heard I don't think its a good idea...Idk about you but I don't want to get caught, arrested and hung by my testicles while two 3 feet tall asians beat me with a red star because I needed to update my facebook status to "LoL china is so awesome!".

man you need to go out of your country more...

ryanfacer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
I have been told by my father in-law who is a Chinese government official that these sites have been blocked for the good of the people ( not sure why ) and if you want to find a way around it that is your choice. If the police want to get funny about it then it would most likely be a fine or something along them lines and the only way that you would be in real trouble is if you made a website that breaks the law or if you was displaying one of these websites to the public. I have been in China now for a few days and I have found the people and police VERY friendly, much more so than in any other country I have visited and I am in mainland China where I have yet to see an other westerner.

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
people actually visit mainland China? :cool:
Yup. God knows why though...

Nice.

I just got back from Beijing, after spending a very pleasant fortnight with my in-laws.

Visited the Buddhist Lama Temple that was saved by Zhou Enlai from destruction during the Cultural Revolution. Visited the Temple of Confucius and adjoining College. Visited the Botanical Garden (bamboo gardens are green in the winter too). Ate lots of stuff that you just can't get here (even in Chinatown). Met with friends we haven't seen in a while. Visited my wife's grandmother in the hospital.

There was other stuff, but I suppose you've already given my list a tl;dr. KThxBy.

Waragainstsleep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2003
UK
Doing a bang up job of making Americans look like a bunch of ignorant racists there guys, well done.

Those posting the insensitive racist comments must obviously be gun-toting, redneck creationists just killing time before they take their guns to school or go after some "hate filled liberal" politician.

Its nice when people apply uninformed stereotypes huh? Even when its amusing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.