Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rjjacobson

macrumors demi-god
Sep 12, 2014
You’re not wrong but I use it for groups about hobbies I follow and for some websites I still use the login with Facebook function and it’s a pain if you don’t have the app because you get logged out very often.
Precisely my use also. I have hobby groups I co/admin, my kids and grandkids photos on here and instagra. I keep in touch with some international friends (fossil trllobites) via messenger no texting possible. And a couple other interest groups I partipate. But much of the rest is junk, spam and click bait to sell you and get you stirred up I try to avoid/ignore not respond any longer. If not for the aforementioned uses I would be gone in a heartbeat. As has been mentioned elsewhere I also have always had background refresh off to slow down the horrid power use by some updates to the app.

Takeo Apple

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2020
I wonder if this is a bug connected to something nefarious. It wouldn’t surprise me if it was discovered a hidden feature that violates our privacy has a bug.
This is not the first time Facebook has been using the audio API to do background processes. A good proof is that when I am playing music over AirPods and open the Facebook app it often stops the music.

I deleted FB for now.

w_aldo

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2018
Stockton-on-Tees, UK
This is not the first time Facebook has been using the audio API to do background processes. A good proof is that when I am playing music over AirPods and open the Facebook app it often stops the music.

I deleted FB for now.
Yeah, whenever I opened Facebook my music would always pause.

In the past (iOS 9 days) they were using a VoIP string to keep the app active in the background indefinitely (otherwise it would get killed by iOS). Very shady

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Facebook uses VOIP and audio background processes to stay alive in the background even with Background App Refresh off. It has been doing it forever, and it won’t stop. It’s a pathetic app and I reckon Apple doesn‘t do anything about it because it’s Facebook. Unfortunately, the only thing you can do is delete it.

Reactions: addamas

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Interesting. Facebook only takes up 4% of my battery like the last 10 days. Safari is almost 50%.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA

I deleted FB for now.
People who are a bit more suspicious would say that it’s because the app is listening to your conversation. Who hasn’t heard their friends say yeah five minutes after I talked about scuba diving Facebook shows me ads for diving gear. I don’t mean specifically scuba diving. I just used that as an example.

I don’t think they would care to pull in audio because that would be too much data to process. I think it’s just because it wants to be able to take over the sound with whatever advertisement video it’s playing. I’m a little suspicious Facebook is using some sort of backhanded way to access GPS location especially since it pulls so much battery in the background but I’m not sure if there’s a way to tell.

Either way it was killing my battery so till they tame it down I am going to stick with Facebook in the browser

ian6969

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2019
Mine was reporting 8+ hours a day background processing, even though I rarely use Facebook. Deleted it, rebooted my phone, reinstalled, and its now back to working properly.

deep1

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011
My battery is so much better on 14 pro since I deleted fb app and removed reminder Lock Screen widget ( not sure how).
Reminder widget might not have anything to do though.

Reactions: addamas

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
I have this issue on all my devices including my iPads that´s still on 15.7 so I think it’s a problem related to the app itself. I deleted the app on my phone for now because it affected the battery there but it don’t seems to affect my battery on iPad.

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2011
Interesting data point today. Check out the drop off in battery earlier. Facebook app update installed and then notice the slower trickle down in battery.

Attachments

• 208ECEE2-1AD9-4AFE-9165-5379478DC51E.jpeg
    208ECEE2-1AD9-4AFE-9165-5379478DC51E.jpeg
    304.2 KB · Views: 67

mtulman1

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2015
Definitely seems fixed. I am getting a 8 minute background time on my battery stats.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
My Facebook is just fine on iOS 16.0.2. It has done this once in the past, and I fixed it by deleting and reinstalling the app. Probably some defective database file. It happened to other apps before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.