Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

facebook-messenger-logo.jpg
Many Facebook Messenger users have taken to social media today to point out a frustrating keyboard bug occurring within the iPhone app (via TechCrunch). According to the affected users, Messenger is "totally broken" and freezes after they type a few words in a chat window.

Users have tried force closing the app, as well as deleting and reinstalling it, but nothing has yet fixed it. Facebook confirmed that it is looking into the bug, "but for now there's no word from the company on what is causing it and how it plans to fix it."

DearFacebook, pleaseFix messenger so ICan typeMoreThanA couple wordsThanks - Adam Colgan 🏳?🌈 (@nerdenator) January 18, 2018
There also appears to be no workaround, so those needing to contact someone on Facebook Messenger will need to use another device or visit the social network on the web. Complaints on Twitter about the problem show that issues began late last night and have persisted into the morning.

One user reported that the bug caused their iPhone 6s Plus to crash, and another theorized that the source of the problem might be with the app's autocorrect function.

Earlier this week, Facebook vice president of messaging products, David Marcus, admitted that Messenger's mobile app has become "too cluttered." In response to this, the company will invest in "massively simplifying and streamlining" Messenger in 2018.

Article Link: Facebook Messenger Bug Preventing Some iPhone Users From Being Able to Type Messages

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
There is a workaround, turn off predictive text and spell checking (Auto Correct). Or, use notes to write your message, then paste it into messenger if you don't want to turn off features.

Pretty annoying bug for sure!

Last edited:

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
It seems that this bug has been fixed. It was caused when the autocorrect pop-up was shown.

I sent a report to Facebook yesterday, if that helps. :p:D

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Thank God they release "weekly updates to make the app even better"! Guess I'll "check back next week for more improvements"!

/s

This is what happens when you release on a schedule rather than as needed.

Not to mention all the massive amounts of energy and bandwidth they waste globally by pushing updates that do nothing... I mean break the keyboard.

Reactions: RMo and ignatius345

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I've taken to using Facebook on my phone only through the mobile site -- and also only using it in a secondary browser (Firefox) so it's quarantined from my main browsing I do in Safari. And I refuse to use Messenger at all. I have weirdly found that Firefox on the mobile site will let you do messaging through the mobile site. I used to just always get a little ad for Messenger in that space, but lately it's been working.

tl;dr Facebook sucks, but sometimes it's the easiest way to get in touch with someone.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I guess I’m lucky. FB Messenger is my go to messenging app since my contacts are about 50/50 iPhone/Android split, so it’s a nice cross-platform solution. I haven’t had any problems.

extrachrispy

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2009
Sacramento Mountains, New Mexico
This is what happens when you release on a schedule rather than as needed.

Not if they're using the "train model:" releases are scheduled, and represent trains leaving the station. Whichever fixes or features are ready and on-board the train get released. Whatever doesn't make it has to wait for the next train. This model can result in greatly improved stability, if the development managers don't push to release stuff before it's ready, solely for the sake of making the train. There will be another train along shortly, so there's no need to rush.

Having been a developer for some decades, I like that model for incremental feature and fix releases. A major release is a different animal and needs explicit gating criteria for release. If you get behind, you can catch up by removing content from the release, which will then be released later via trains (e.g., iCloud messages that everyone has been waiting for). You could instead slip the release until the feature content meets the quality metrics you agreed to with the dev and QA teams.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.