Facebook mobile developer: Android is 'sloppy'

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by abercrombie, Aug 30, 2010.

1. abercrombie macrumors regular

abercrombie

Facebook mobile developer: Android is 'sloppy'

'The more I work with Android the more it reminds me of Windows'"

The developer for the Facebook application on the iPhone has criticised Android and given reasons why the official app is poorer for Google phones.

Although recently getting a decent upgrade, the Facebook for Android application has always been the poorer cousin to the iPhone version, and Joe Hewitt, who helped created the Apple option, says it's down to the tools offered.

"The more I work with Android the more it reminds me of Windows… as in, it's really flexible, agnostic, and developer-friendly, but also really sloppily designed," he said on Twitter.

Read more...

2. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Was this the Joe Hewitt that wrote facebook for the iphone and then just left it for others to fix?
    If it is, the facebook app has run a lot smoother since his departure.
    Win for the iphone
    sorry android

3. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

Great, another andorid sucks thread. This is an iPhone forum.

4. MaxxTraxx macrumors 6502

Wierd how the Facebook developer would hate on anything, just look at the FB APP.

5. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

Yes, I agree with you. I prefer using facebook on Safari than using the app

6. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Yep, Facebook on Android has always been behind the iPhone version. It's not just Facebook though. Android apps in general are about 2 years behind when comparing funtionality--except of course the Google family of apps.

7. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

Doesnt the Android version not support chat? I have a friend with a Droid and I think he told me that the only thing that sucks is that he can't facechat.

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Hmm yet another thread from insecure iPhones fans. Do you feel you have to try to put down another phone to make yourself feel better?

9. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

For some reason, this discussion seems to be "fact" and not "opinion"...

10. samcraig macrumors P6

The fact is - who cares?
    My opinion is that it's ridiculous for people here to constantly post threads about other phones or OSs in an effort to make themselves feel better about their phone.

Why the insecurity? Why the need to "bully" other phones.

If you don't like Android - don't buy one. But the constant taunting is old.

11. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

May as well be. It's about as intelligent, why not throw the dumbassed pictures on top and complete the effect?

12. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Correct. That is about the only big difference. Other than that, i think it runs fine. Maybe not quite as good but imo it is close. I think FB and ebay both are very similar to Apple's version.

13. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Oh yay, the neverending iOS vs. Android pissing match continues.

14. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-gb; Nexus One Build/MASTER) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Three positives and one negative and we focus on the negative! "It's really flexible, agnostic, and developer-friendly...."

Oh well!

Edit: Drop that to two positives as I don't knowwhat they meant by "agnostic", unless someone can explain. :p

15. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Apple had the benefit of having an established, polished operating system in OS X to base iOS on. Android is Google's first foray into operating systems, and all things considered, isn't too shabby.

16. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

Yeah "Agnostic" is not a word I ever associate with software... But hey, that's just me.

17. Liam8 macrumors 6502

Liam8

Maybe we like dissing other phones. Obviously the iphone is the best smart phone so I don't think anyone is insecure about it.

18. bstpierre macrumors 6502

Agnostic means it is not Desktop OS biased. It plays with all (or at least Windows and Mac) OS's equally. It comes from the days of evangelists and other religious imagery used in the OS wars.

That is what it means, I can't comment on whether Android is Agnostic or not.

19. MaxxTraxx macrumors 6502

I'm sure it has it's pros and cons just as iOS does.

Does the iOS version even support chat? I cannot get it to work at all! It always fails!

I hope they plan on updating the app soon.

20. samcraig macrumors P6

People who are secure don't need to criticize others. Or should I say MATURE people who are secure don't need to criticize others.

So I completely disagree with you. Ask yourself WHY you like dissing other phones... hmmm?

21. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

Facebook app sucks on iPhone as well? Point of this thread other than showing that guy(and the op) is just talking trash to talk trash?

22. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

You know that was the guy that publicly stated he was no longer going to develop for the iPhone because of the app store policies, right?

23. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Exactly what I was going to post.

The dude just likes attention.

24. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

This is the case with most of the apps ported to android. I'm not surprised.

25. Stormspeed macrumors member

Awwwww.....another purported droid user offended on the IPHONE FORUM. Breaks all of our hearts.