Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

facebookapp.jpg
When Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg testified in front of Congress last week about the ongoing Cambridge Analytica scandal, he was asked a question about what kind of data Facebook collects from people when they use various apps and websites that have Facebook tools and integrations installed.

Zuckerberg promised to share more information on that topic at a later time, and today Facebook made good on that promise with a detailed article on what data Facebook gets from third-party apps and websites.

Facebook has several plug-ins and tools that allow Facebook to gather data on users even when they're not using Facebook, including social plugins (Like and Share buttons), Facebook login (which lets you log in to services with a Facebook account), Facebook Analytics, and Facebook ads (allows apps and websites to show ads from Facebook advertisers, run ads on Facebook, and measure ad effectiveness).

Facebook says that whenever you use an app or a website that has one of these tools installed, the company receives information even if you're logged out of Facebook or do not have a Facebook account.

According to Facebook, the information collected offline is used to "make [app and website] ads better," with Facebook receiving data that includes IP address, browser, operating system, cookie information, and which app or website you're using, all of which is common information collected when you use an app or a website.

Facebook provides detailed information on how the data collected from each of these tools is used:

[*]Social plugins and Facebook Login. We use your IP address, browser/operating system information, and the address of the website or app you're using to make these features work. For example, knowing your IP address allows us to send the Like button to your browser and helps us show it in your language. Cookies and device identifiers help us determine whether you're logged in, which makes it easier to share content or use Facebook to log into another app.
[*]Facebook Analytics. Facebook Analytics gives websites and apps data about how they are used. IP addresses help us list the countries where people are using an app. Browser and operating system information enable us to give developers information about the platforms people use to access their app. Cookies and other identifiers help us count the number of unique visitors. Cookies also help us recognize which visitors are Facebook users so we can provide aggregated demographic information, like age and gender, about the people using the app.
[*]Ads. Facebook Audience Network enables other websites and apps to show ads from Facebook advertisers. When we get a request to show an Audience Network ad, we need to know where to send it and the browser and operating system a person is using. Cookies and device identifiers help us determine whether the person uses Facebook. If they do, we can use the fact that they visited a business's site or app to show them an ad from that business - or a similar one -- back on Facebook. If they don't, we can show an ad encouraging them to sign up for Facebook.
[*]Ad Measurement. An advertiser can choose to add the Facebook Pixel, some computer code, to their site. This allows us to give advertisers stats about how many people are responding to their ads -- even if they saw the ad on a different device -- without us sharing anyone's personal information.

App and website usage habits are also used to determine the content and ads that are shown on Facebook. A person who visits a lot of sports related sites, for example, will see more sports-related news stories and ads.

To control what data Facebook is collecting, the company directs users to its News Feed preferences and Ad preferences to remove unwanted advertisers and opt out of certain types of ads. You can disable the feature that lets Facebook provide targeted ads based on your browsing habits, and you can disable the option that lets other apps and websites use your Facebook interests to provide ads.

Facebook says that it will address additional questions that were raised during Zuckerberg's testimony in future posts.

Article Link: Facebook Outlines What Data it Collects From Other Apps and Websites

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
For those still wanting to use Facebook install the following plugins (click on names for links):

Ghostery (blocks ads, scripts, trackers, etc)
AdBlock (blocks ads only)
Adnauseam (this one actually clicks ALL ads and screws with ad results, a total PITA for ad servers!)
uBlock
PrivacyBadger (blocks trackers, etc)
Facebook Container (for Firefox)

For browsers, I recommend Brave which is also available for iOS and Android.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Deleted my Facebook years ago because I didn’t want them with my data and now they are getting it anyway? Is this legal?

It does not matter if you delete your account. It is not deleted in their system and servers. You can tell if you want to activate or log in again with your old email and password. It just reactivates it again. I did this years ago and deleted my account. Then...I tried a few years later to activate my account again and ‘bing’ it went back to my old account with all of the information.

They don’t delete anything. They are data collectors.

Suspended
Jul 18, 2009
More focus should be on Google, not just Facebook!
[doublepost=1523925301][/doublepost]wow.... who would have thought a company backed by VCs and investors that just want a return at any cost; doesn't care about users personal information. My mind just exploded on this unforeseeable news. ;)

Reactions: B60boy

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I’m no Facebook fan and don’t use the service but what do people expect with a free service? Facebook has to make money some how. If your a business, especially a small to medium sized business you’re going to want the ability to micro-target. And if you’re a user do you want to see ads for random things you couldn’t care less about? Having said that I think there needs to be more scrutiny around shadow profiles, around people who don’t use the service but Facebook is still able to get data on them either because someone else allowed Facebook access to their contacts or via just by browzing the web (via Facebook Pixel). Facebook should not be able to track people who don’t use the service.

Reactions: martyjmclean

caskin8a

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2009
Toronto
All anyone actually wants to know is does Facebook record the filthy p*rn you’re watching? And I don’t think that’s answered.

dhess34

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2008
It does not matter if you delete your account. It is not deleted in their system and servers. You can tell if you want to activate or log in again with your old email and password. It just reactivates it again. I did this years ago and deleted my account. Then...I tried a few years later to activate my account again and ‘bing’ it went back to my old account with all of the information.

There’s the sticky matter of US data retention laws to deal with. So if you tell a tech giant to ‘delete all your data’, but two years later the US government wants your data ... *poof* they WILL produce that data! I worked at a Silicon Valley giant where I saw that exact scenario play out 10-15 times over just a couple years (that I knew of).

alexhardaker

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
For those still wanting to use Facebook install the following plugins (click on names for links):

Ghostery (blocks ads, scripts, trackers, etc)
AdBlock (blocks ads only)
Adnauseam (this one actually clicks ALL ads and screws with ad results, a total PITA for ad servers!)
uBlock
PrivacyBadger (blocks trackers, etc)
Facebook Container (for Firefox)

For browsers, I recommend Brave which is also available for iOS and Android.

For Mac/iOS users, you can use this:https://better.fyi/

They advice against ghostery and Adblock Plus etc. They allow “ethical” ads. The guy gives talks on data and privacy etc too.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney

That’s so wrong. If you do want to leave the service, best to download your profile data then individually delete every post, unfriend everyone. Delete as much as you can and replace required fields with dummy data, then proceed to delete your account.

[doublepost=1523957816][/doublepost]
For Mac/iOS users, you can use this: https://better.fyi/

They advice against ghostery and Adblock Plus etc. They allow “ethical” ads. The guy gives talks on data and privacy etc too.

Funny, they use as an example of their “ethical ads” policy The Deck network, which was shut down ages ago. So they don’t seem to be able to keep their website up to date.

Last edited:

GeekGuys

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
As an experienced IT engineer of many years I can tell you that most of the explanations given for storing data are hogwash. It is widely known that IP addresses are very poor for geotagging, language support, and the other reasons given. Also, there is no need to store this information as any logic would be done locally, on the browser.

Don't forget that Facebook was originally a website to rate how hot (or not) girls were in college, by sad horny men (namely Zuckerberg and the twins). So it would be at least honest if he just said

"look, we store data to sell it, make me rich, and provide you a free platform. You want privacy, then pay".

But that doesn't sound nice, so we get nonsense and bulls hit *
[doublepost=1523959568][/doublepost]And another thing. I'm confused by the surprise the world is showing about data privacy. If you actually read the website T&C you will find it all explained there. It is the same on pretty much all websites.
Using the excuse about "who reads that anyway" doesn't remove your responsibility.
Do you honestly think MacRumors is doing anything different? Free to use platforms need to survive and make a profit. Advertising and/or data mining. Pretty much the only way to do that.

Reactions: WitneySi

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK

How does that behaviour fit with the new EU GDPR regs?

Reactions: Creepitor
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.