Facebook Paying Teens $20/Month to Install Data Harvesting VPN App on iPhones

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 29, 2019.

1. alexnyc8 macrumors member

lol your congress person cares only for lining their pockets with your tax money. you congresscritter is the reason big corps and big data do what they do. you have been sold to the Lowest Bodder lol

2. v3rlon macrumors 6502a

This sounds like something that would be illegal with minors. They are too young to sign the contract.

3. DoctorTech macrumors 6502

DoctorTech

Facebook is evil squared. Its bad enough they make this data harvesting software but then they outsource to other companies to get people to install it so they can keep some distance from it. I hope Apple revokes all Facebook certificates and makes an example out of them so other companies won't pull this type of stunt again.

4. Malarkey macrumors member

Malarkey

Delete Facebook. There's a better way to stay in touch with friends and family... it's called email.

5. Greenmeenie macrumors 65816

Greenmeenie

I quit FB awhile ago. Now i just laugh when i read this crap they are still pulling.

6. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Most people don't really want to get "spammed" by various things someone else wants to share and/or comment on.

7. Mick-Mac macrumors regular

There is an infinite supply of stupid/gullible people out there and so long as that is the case there will always be companies like facebook fleecing you. This will never change unless meaningful penalties for the filthy rich are administered e.g. I've heard CEOs of big (corrupt) organizations in China have actually been executed. I'll bet that'd change behaviors (forgetting for the moment about the disastrous loss of personal freedom that comes with that sort of thing).

8. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68020

ryanwarsaw

If that's the case I will quit drinking while I drive for Uber.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 29, 2019 ---
    Haust meet EULA.

9. ghanwani, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019

ghanwani macrumors 65816

They were making an average of $26.76 per quarter (assuming you are in the US or Canada)
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/251328/facebooks-average-revenue-per-user-by-region/
    Of course, that probably includes users that never log on, so the average revenue per active user is probably a lot higher and increases with activity.

Perhaps never. I am sad to report most people I know of do NOT regard them as evil and do not even follow the news to know what is going on.

Regardless, FB has enough cash, that if used correctly with the right PR firms, media firms, and politicians, can make people start thinking of them as some sort of a savior for mankind.

Anyway I try to educate people by sending them this:
    https://www.businessinsider.com/wel...s-wont-help-facebooks-privacy-problems-2010-5

10. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68020

ryanwarsaw

It is somewhat refreshing to hear that some people are actually being paid. This is the first step for FB to acknowledge individual ownership of ones own data. The next step for FB IMO LOL would be to allow users a button that deletes all content. I think later on users will get wiser and FB will be looked back upon as a run away horror. The Napster of the 00"s.

11. tw1ll macrumors regular

The most disturbing thing about this story is the single mindedness with which fb pursues data harvesting. One has to assume they put similar effort into every app and relationship they possess. Unfortunately nothing will change unless privacy legislation keeps up with the evolution of surveillance technolgy.

12. Skeptical.me macrumors 6502

Skeptical.me

The one thing that bothered me about the advertising billboard thing that stated "what happens on your iPhone stays on your iPhone" is that that isn't really true. True for apple related services and apps, but not third party apps. And who doesn't use third party apps on the iPhone. I'm not 100% clear about what data is collected by app developers but I hope Apple makes it mandatory to collect all data in a non personal identifying way.

13. SDJim macrumors member

SDJim

14. ghanwani macrumors 65816

How would Apple do that if the app requires a login (which most spying apps do)?

15. waquzy macrumors 6502a

waquzy

Agreed.

However try telling that to the 12 year olds and social media wannabes...

At least it does have a permanent delete function these days, something they didn’t have for a decade. Now when you deactivate you have an option for your account and all your data to be deleted.
    You still have to wait for 30 days to it to happen, but it’s there... and I did that months ago

16. giantrobot503 macrumors newbie

giantrobot503

More like try telling that to the the 52 year olds. Most millennials I know don't use Facebook.

17. Skeptical.me macrumors 6502

Skeptical.me

Good point. So, I guess there's no way that that is possible. So what happens on the iPhone doesn't in fact stay on the iPhone.

18. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

Far from it. iPhone is the only device where you can still get some privacy.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 29, 2019 ---
    And why exactly would they? This is done with the free will of people. Why would Apple stop you if your private data means nothing to you and you want to sell it for $20?

19. waquzy macrumors 6502a

waquzy

Because they are too busy playing Fortnite

20. Arbuthnott, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019

Arbuthnott macrumors member

The issue here is not that those affected are being paid. The issue is the lack of informed consent. There is no way that the explanation provided allows users to understand what is being done, or its implications. Presumably also it is not just the user whose privacy is being compromised - surely any communications they receive, to the channels that are being spied on, will share details of any others who exchange messages or information with the affected user, thus compromising privacy and security on a much wider basis than simply the naive users themselves.

There ought to be a way of letting other users know that someone has been "infected" by one of these FaceBook spy tools, so that anyone communicating with them, or receiving communications from them, can be aware that they are infected.

21. H2SO4 macrumors 601

Whilst I gather the T's & C's are up front using input from age 13 is wrong, but masquerading as another company nobody can complain about. Any organisation that has shell companies does that. Any company that owns another but uses separate names is using a degree of separation also and that is for their own good, not yours.

22. Arbuthnott macrumors member

Have you considered that the infected users will also, by proxy, may also leaking private information from other users in communication with them? Incoming messages and outgoing replies from infected users will reveal all sorts of information on others who would presumably not be aware that the security of their communications is being compromised in this way.

23. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

I think you are just getting far too deep in this.
    Just enjoy life a little, rather than being paranoid about everything.

24. Arbuthnott macrumors member

I respect your opinion. Here's mine, as neatly expressed by Edmund Burke:

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

I guess you get the point.

25. fredrik9 macrumors regular

fredrik9

Why would Apple care? It is, as far as I can see, voluntary to enter this program. It even says FACEBOOK in capital letters before you approve. Why stop something people do voluntarily?