Facebook Restriction

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by andykerese, Nov 2, 2010.

1. andykerese macrumors newbie

A member of my family happens to spend all her time on facebook. I would be interested if anybody knows a good software or any solution how I could control what websites she is visiting, what time of the day she is capeable of visiting the allowed websites and which days she is allowed to visit these websites. The problem is that there is WiFi in my house and I can't just switch the router off because other people need to use the internet too and I don't want to disable the internet on the computer she is using because she needs the internet fo r studying. I tried net nanny however it didn't help because I could put facebook onto a "blacklist" but than it banned it for ever.
    I would like to allow her to be able to use facebook, but only in certain times on certain days.
    Anybody knows a solution or software?
    Thanks anyway.

2. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

My router (WRT54G) has a restriction feature on time, site, ip address, etc... Does your router setup page have that?

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You can use Parental Controls on your daughter's computer. You can use these to blacklist a site, or restrict access Also, you can use it on all other computers in case she tries to use other computers. Also, be sure to make the no FaceBook policy to anyone who enters your house and connects to your Wi-Fi.

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I think on some routers you can put time controls on their host files. In the host file you could change say between *time1* -*time*
    www.facebook.com 127.0.0.1. That would redirect any time she goes to facebook back to the local ip address.

5. andykerese thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for everybody for the time and effort, I really appreciate the time and effort.