Facebook Rolling Out Redesigned Messenger App With Simplified Interface and Customizable Chat Bubbles

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 23, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Facebook today announced that it's rolling out a redesigned, simplified version of the Messenger app on a global basis starting today.

Messenger 4, as Facebook is calling it, will refocus on conversations, making it easier to navigate through the app. Instead of nine separate tabs, there will be three tabs, with conversations quickly accessible through the "Chats" tab. Quick access to the camera for sharing photos and for video chats is also included in the Chats tab.

[​IMG]

In the new "People" tab, Messenger users will be able to find friends, see who is active, and watch people's Stories, while the new "Discover" tab will let users find businesses to get deals, play games, follow news stories, and more.

Conversations with people can be customized using color gradients. With color gradients, multiple colors can be used for chat bubbles, and the colors will change as you scroll up and down a conversation.

According to Facebook, the new Messenger app will roll out to customers "over the coming weeks" so not everyone will have access to the refreshed design right away.

In the near future, Facebook also plans to roll out a Dark Mode that will cut down on glare from the phone at night.

Article Link: Facebook Rolling Out Redesigned Messenger App With Simplified Interface and Customizable Chat Bubbles

2. shanson27 macrumors 6502a

shanson27

3. kycophpd macrumors 6502a

kycophpd

Well it's still run by Facebook so there is nothing good about it.

4. ediks macrumors regular

finally, they said “soon” in may and it took them nearly 6 months

5. mattburley7 macrumors 68030

but now they are saying it will take weeks to roll out to everyone.. so the wait continues.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 23, 2018 ---
    im assuming an app update will be needed because they changed the icon slightly..

6. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

7. otternonsense, Oct 23, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2018

otternonsense macrumors 6502a

otternonsense

I wish they got rid of these space wasting story bubbles on top. It’s the kind of group-thought sloppy feature normalization across the board with FB and instagram that nobody asked for.

PS. I also wish FB retooled messenger and the FB app to take advantage of the iPad screen estate. And maybe release an instagram app for iPad too, ***** finally?

8. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 601

OldSchoolMacGuy

Nice to see. If they're making this change, it's based on thousands of tests to see what users respond the best too. Facebook tests the living heck out of every change they make. Argue all you like but they have PILES of data to backup these changes after testing them on millions of users. That data shows an increase in usage and engagement. Only then do they make any change across the board for their users.

Something about Facebook? MacRumors members will go on and on telling you how awesome they are because they got rid of it years ago. They're the one uniformed friend where all their other friends can connect and know what's happening with the others. The guy with the flip phone in 2018.

9. gigapocket1 macrumors 65816

Anybody remember when Facebook for mobile was an after thought.. I think their was only 1 guy working on the Facebook app for iPhone for the first few years.

10. chfilm macrumors 68000

chfilm

11. Eorlas macrumors 6502

"In the near future, Facebook also plans to roll out a Dark Mode that will cut down on glare from the phone at night."

this is the only thing that matters

12. mattburley7 macrumors 68030

took them long enough.. this was first previewed back in may.

13. Remy149 macrumors regular

Ironically Facebook messenger is the only app I use to chat besides iMessage. It’s a place I chat with people I usually don’t interact with often in real life. Mostly child hood friends and old acquaintances. Like it or not everyone has Facebook

14. ktecac macrumors regular

ktecac

I would fn love to have me some other options for coloured iMessage bubbles that doesn’t involve jailbreak. Am surprised Apple hasn’t added at least a couple different colours by now. Super insignificant but would make iMessage feel newer whenever you change a contacts message color.

15. dan9700 macrumors 68020

dan9700

Facebook needs a redesign not just messager so much clutter and plz add iphone max support

16. BruceEBonus macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

Me like funny faces. Me thick. As two short planks. Me like being thick. Me like Facebook. Facebook told me.

17. MrGunnyPT macrumors regular

MrGunnyPT

Indeed... Waking up at 6 am and being blasted by this amount of White is insanity

18. BWhaler macrumors 68030

BWhaler

Facebook. So creepy. So gross.

Zuck and Sheryl Sandberhg are the tobacco CEOs of the digital age.

19. puma1552 macrumors 603

i refuse to install a second app fpr a feature that could - and used to be - part of the main app.

2 apps for 1 is stupid.

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

Perhaps not for those that might use the Messenger app to communicate with some people but don't care about Facebook itself.

21. Captain Nougat macrumors member

I agree with the other poster. I used to hate it too, but after a while I realized I used Messenger more than I use the main facebook service, so it's a lot easier to just message people. I have Messenger on the first page of my iPhone but Facebook is not even installed.

22. martyjmclean macrumors regular

martyjmclean

An Update isn’t needed to change an App icon.

23. tehStickMan macrumors regular

tehStickMan

Where's the Dark Mode? This was teased 6 months ago in a beta.

24. 212rikanmofo macrumors 68000

It's Facebook, what do you expect. Nothing good comes out of companies like Facebook and Google.

25. MrJeffreyGee macrumors regular

MrJeffreyGee

I don't use this app at all. Still hoping that they will integrate it back into the Facebook app even though my profile is deactivated.