Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Facebook has expressed additional criticism towards Apple over an upcoming iOS 14 privacy measure that will require users to grant permission for their activity to be tracked for personalized advertising purposes.

apple-vs-free-internet-facebook-ad.jpg

For the second consecutive day, Facebook is running a full-page ad in The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, and The Washington Post that claims Apple's tracking change will harm not only small businesses, but the internet as a whole. Facebook says that due to Apple's new policy, many apps and websites will have to start charging subscription fees or add more in-app purchase options to make ends meet, making the internet "much more expensive."

The full text from the ad:
Apple vs. the free internet

Apple plans to roll out a forced software update that will change the internet as we know it—for the worse.

Take your favorite cooking sites or sports blogs. Most are free because they show advertisements.

Apple's change will limit their ability to run personalized ads. To make ends meet, many will have to start charging you subscription fees or adding more in-app purchases, making the internet much more expensive and reducing high-quality free content.

Beyond hurting apps and websites, many in the small business community say this change will be devastating for them too, at a time when they face enormous challenges. They need to be able to effectively reach the people most interested in their products and services to grow.

Forty-four percent of small to medium businesses started or increased their usage of personalized ads on social media during the pandemic, according to a new Deloitte
study. Without personalized ads, Facebook data shows that the average small business advertiser stands to see a cut of over 60% in their sales for every dollar they spend.

Small businesses deserve to be heard. We're standing up to Apple for our small business customers and our communities.
Facebook's ad concludes with a link to its new "Speak Up For Small Business" page where small business owners express concerns about Apple's change.

In an email, a Facebook spokesperson said Apple's move "isn't about privacy, it's about profit," echoing comments the company shared yesterday. "Paying for content may be fine for some, but most people, especially during these challenging times, don't have room in their budget for these fees," the spokesperson added.

"We disagree with Apple's approach and solution, yet we have no choice but to show Apple's prompt," Facebook said yesterday. "If we don't, they will block Facebook from the App Store, which would only further harm the people and businesses that rely on our services. We cannot take this risk on behalf of the millions of businesses who use our platform to grow."

In a statement responding to Facebook, Apple said "we believe that this is a simple matter of standing up for our users," adding that "users should know when their data is being collected and shared across other apps and websites — and they should have the choice to allow that or not." Specifically, users will be prompted to allow or deny ad tracking as necessary when opening apps on iOS 14 starting early next year.

Apple said it welcomes in-app advertising and is not prohibiting tracking, but simply requiring apps to obtain explicit user consent in order to track users for personalized advertising purposes, providing users with more control and transparency.

apple-vs-free-internet-full-ad.jpg

Article Link: Facebook Runs Second Full-Page Ad Criticizing Apple, Says Opt-In Tracking Will Make the Internet Worse

kopaszmercis

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2011
For what it's worth, if this isn't a sign that Apple takes your privacy seriously, then nothing is. Clearly it's part of the business model, but like casnios not cheating because of how much money they're bound to make playing clean, Apple will protect your privacy because it makes too much money for them.

babarambi

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2018
It‘s really starting to get desperate with facebook. They‘ve preyed on billions of people for years and used more than questionable methods to invade people’s privacy. And now they have the guts to tell people that they should be allowed to continue these practices and that efforts to increase privacy are bad? Even if it is just transparency?

contacos

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
so stupid, its not like Apple is forcing an opt-in, hidden somewhere in the settings or none at all! they simply give the users a pop up to decide for themselves but of course Facebook feels threatened to get their business "model" exposed to the tech handicapped world.

If they truly cared about small businesses, they wouldn't hide their organic posts somewhere in the feed or not show it at all unless they pay for more exposure. Hypocrites

mariusignorello

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2013
Small business owner here, Facebook ads did nothing for me. Same with my business partner who used to run ads for his previous separate company before we merged. They're complicated and don't return on investment unless you really know what you're doing and are prepared to pay.

insomniac86

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2015
Perth, Western Australia
The Facebook Advert is stretching the truth. Facebook are trying to pretend that everyone will lose money because Apple is removing something they need. But the truth is, Apple are NOT removing anything.
Apple are simply giving users a choice.....to use the feature or not.

In essence, Facebook are basically saying, we believe that most users won't want to be tracked as it's been against their will the entire time. Most users will probably say no, which hurts us.....

Well **** you Facebook and to all the companies/people that say it will hurt their business. You don't need to FORCE target ads on people. I'm sure a lot will want targeted ads.

Last edited:

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
My attention isn’t free. Ads are an expense and the free market will decide how much your product is worth. If your content is good than charge for it, or at least offer the option to pay. Facebook would be a lot more successful if they started offering the web ‘ad free’ for $5 or $10 a month.

Oh, but that’s not where we are. Facebook and google want the web to be free ‘with ads’ because they can not control the content directly. As long as people accept ads then they can charge those small businesses for a share of our attention. All this on top of what content producers are asking for.

When I started telling people that the Netflix button on the Roku was an ad and they should get a discount for having to use it I was called crazy. People said ‘it’s a feature’ that makes the device better. When I said car dealerships should pay me if they want to put their lots name on my bumper (or gosh, back window) people said ‘no, it’s cool’ or ‘no one even notices it’.

When Amazon started charging to get rid of the coupons on kindle screen savers I shouted “coupons are just ads”. And yet, people bought them in packs to give as gifts. One reason you don’t give a puppy as a gift is because it comes with future expense.

Don’t gift ads.

Ads are a cost you pay the brand every time you give them attention. If you find subscription apps insulting than Facebook should feel like a knife wound. Facebook, I don’t have sympathy for lost revenue caused by Apple’s privacy policy because you don’t want me to have control over how much I pay.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.