Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Popular iOS apps including Spotify, SoundCloud, Waze, Imgur, and many more are reporting crashing and freezing issues this morning, as pointed out by users on Reddit and in the MacRumors forums. The issue appears to be related to Facebook's iOS SDK, which is used by many apps for login purposes.

facebook-800x450.jpg

On Facebook's developer website, the company confirmed that it is aware of the issue and is investigating it. Reports of crashing apps appeared today across social media, with users reporting that while some apps are freezing, others crash completely when opened, including Spotify.

These issues are appearing even for users who don't use the Facebook SDK when logging into the affected apps. Additionally, some users are reporting that they are able to access apps like Spotify using Airplane mode, while others suggest using a VPN.

This same issue happened two months ago in May.

Article Link: Facebook SDK Issue Again Causing Numerous iOS Apps to Crash or Freeze

Bokito

macrumors regular
May 29, 2007
Netherlands
I once found code that looks like this issue in a website's main index.php:

PHP:
if (!$x = file_get_contents('https://api.facebook.com')) {
    exit;
}

Facebook is likely doing something similar to this. They likely raise an exception that they didn't document when something server side is not what it is expected to be. This is really bad behavior.

Apple should ban applications that use versions of the Facebook SDK that are causing these kind of issues.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2012
If you are logging in w Facebook you are doing it wrong (I expect the app developer is getting a kickback from FB for offering this button) as you are making it easier for FB to track you.

secondly, if the app developer isn’t offering you sign in with Apple you need to wonder why the developer wants to know about you, how are they monetizing you?

finally, if you are still using Facebook you are enabling a Sociopathic megalomaniac to generate profit while damaging society and you should consider deleting Facebook.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
If you are logging in w Facebook you are doing it wrong (I expect the app developer is getting a kickback from FB for offering this button) as you are making it easier for FB to track you.

secondly, if the app developer isn’t offering you sign in with Apple you need to wonder why the developer wants to know about you, how are they monetizing you?

finally, if you are still using Facebook you are enabling a Sociopathic megalomaniac to generate profit while damaging society and you should consider deleting Facebook.

i never used Facebook login in my life and Spotify still crashes. I think they inject the fb code even before launching the app itself.

AdmiralTriggerH

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2011
i never used Facebook login in my life and Spotify still crashes. I think they inject the fb code even before launching the app itself.

Yeah most of the apps will run the API code even if its not being used.

There is a easy way to fix this, a Try Catch Block around the Facebook API calls, assuming Facebook does the right and throws a documented exception, even they you can still try catch any other errors.
That should be a given when relying on someone else's code base

Vspruce

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2019
Sweden
And i just filed a bugreport that Spotify wasn’t working with CarPlay in iOS 14 🥱

So seems like it’s working now again

Adreitz

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2013
I had this exact issue this morning. I was reading some comics on the Webtoon app this morning with no issues. After stopping to get ready for work, I unlocked my phone to see that Webtoon had crashed. Trying to reopen it just resulted in a crash every time. I was then horrified to see Waze crash on opening immediately afterward. Hunting around in other apps, I also saw StarWalk 2 crash repeatedly. Sky crashed three times on opening, but advanced more each time, and successfully opened on the fourth attempt.

I was freaking out. I had to drive to work without GPS this morning. I thought something had failed or gotten corrupted in my new iPhone SE. Glad that I'm not the only one.

I was eventually able to open Waze and Webtoon once I got to work. Maybe Facebook temporarily patched the issue or maybe it was the result of what I did. Deleting and reinstalling the apps didn't immediately fix the problem. I also tried toggling Airplane mode on and off, but that didn't do anything. I then disconnected from WiFi using Control Center and suddenly Waze opened and I logged in (strangely, it rejected my password several times before accepting). Webtoon was similar.

Aditya rathee

macrumors regular
May 1, 2019
India
Marrow app also keep closing again and again after opening in few seconds plus another game of mine named bleach brave souls also kept closing so i think it is because of this ... but i have not installed either fb or fb messenger

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
Tor gives you anonymity, not privacy. When you log in to Facebook there, they still know exactly who you are.
It hides my IP and the onion browser does not contain my other cookies that safari would its a blank slate each time. Even the geo location section under security cant give you a location. Its a million times better than Safari. Im also not hiding my name I use most of my real information im more concerned about ip location tracking since I work in a lot of secure locations. China and Russia are in my threat model unlike the average person.

Reactions: icanhazmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.