Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Some Messenger and Instagram features are temporarily unavailable to users in Europe in order to comply with new rules on data usage currently being rolled out in EU countries.

instagram-features-missing-eu.jpeg

Affected users are seeing alerts in the Facebook-owned apps that some features aren’t available to "respect new rules for messaging services in Europe."

The alert doesn't specify what the missing features are, but The Verge notes that polls on both Messenger and Instagram are currently disabled in Europe, while stickers in Instagram are unavailable, as are personalized replies in Messenger. Each support page for the above features currently carries the notice:
This feature may be unavailable if you're located in Europe or messaging an account based in Europe to respect new messaging service rules. We're working to bring it back.
The temporary changes are said to be Facebook's compliance with the national implementations of the 2002 Privacy and Electronic Communications Directive (ePrivacy Directive), which imposes stricter rules on data use across communications services that operate in countries that are part of the EU.

Other missing features may include a disabling of file sending on Messenger, missing nicknames, and the ability to share AR effects in DMs on Instagram.

Users in the United Kingdom are also missing the features, because EU law continues to apply to the U.K. during the Brexit transition period (currently due to last until 31 December 2020).

Facebook has not given a specific timeframe for reinstating the missing features, but told The Verge they would return "very soon."

Article Link: Facebook Temporarily Disables Some Messenger and Instagram Features in Europe to Comply With EU Data Rules

Last edited:

dschulian

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2015
Germany
I’m so happy that I’ve got rid of Facebook and Instagram a long time ago.
The last ****** app I’ve installed is WhatsApp because no one I know except my gf is actually using iMessage.
It’s a shame Facetime and iMessage never opened their gates to Android/Windows to conquer the spying ad industry.

SWAON

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2017
Europe
Great, I'm trying to find a good reason not to use the messenger as well. FB is using the directive just to make fuss and disable those features, instead of making them secure (meaning without collecting data).

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...
You can't make this up, the same day they are running ads blaming Apple for trying to notify customers when companies want to take your data? Karma?

It's much less esoteric than that.

It's Facebook telling the world that it's about "Facebook's compliance with the national implementations of the 2002 Privacy and Electronic Communications Directive".

Read that again; "the 2002 Privacy and Electronic Communications Directive"

2002 ?

EmotionalSnow

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
Linz, Austria
More political overreach by the EU. I hate Facebook as much as the next guy, but come on. These new EU rules are complete bull.
If you are talking about the DSA and DMA, those two are not even passed yet. By the way, for anyone interested - here's what the EFF thinks about them:

European Commission’s Proposed Digital Services Act Got Several Things Right, But Improvements Are Necessary to Put Users in Control

The EU’s Digital Markets Act: There Is A Lot To Like, but Room for Improvement

Last edited:
Reactions: bousozoku

[AUT] Thomas

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2016
Graz [Austria]
They must been audited and threatened with a hefty fine to literally pull the plug... Usually you get a period to rectify non-compliance. And that usually gets extended once or twice if you can't meet it. The background would really be of interest here.

Facebook probably: "If you don't want your privacy violated less just move to Europe, suckers!"
I fixed it for you. ;)
Google is a close contender.
Google is probably worse... they are just more professional at spying on people and are much better at actually protecting the data. FB sells out the data (obviously, see Cambridge Analytica) and also isn't so smart when it comes to safeguarding the data (FB API...).

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Americans are in general always benefitting from Europes ability to leash big tech because American politicians have too much financially at stake to do it. Sad but true.

Don't forget about Apple. The things protecting Americans' data right now is EU laws and the third largest megacorporation on the planet choosing to do the right thing.

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
Facebook blaming others again it seems
I’m on the anti-Facebook camp, just in case, but what I find crazy is that all these features: stickers, file sending, etc seem quite basic and expected by now? Also the laws are from 2002 (if there are no typos), there were not even iPhones until 5+ years later.

or somehow Facebook is so heads over heel over privacy collection that even sending a damn sticker exposes you?

contacos

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
How so? They have to comply with the laws and it's not unreasonable to explain why theey've had to disable features that may violate them.

That updated law (the current one is from 2002!) has not even passed yet and there are even ongoing and internal discussions to loosen it up. This is pretty much Facebook trying to cause an outcry by limiting features to users to get them to complain before it comes to that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.