Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
LoL....come on dude, worlds largest ai provider, do you know what ai is? How would having peoples personal data make them good at ai?
Imagine that they've been using bots driven by AI to follow each user, to learn their patterns, to emulate people, and eventually, to replace them. Oops.

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
More fundamentally, Facebook has a serious issue here they think they can just handwave away. It‘s similar to Google’s largest issue. Google and Facebook both earned a reputation as firms that give things away for free. The problem with that is that if you get known for giving goods/services away for free or low price, it’s so much harder to move up-market. It’s like saying “well, why would I pay $40 for a premium meal from McDonald’s or $10,000 for a Dell computer or something-something premium something-something WalMart?” Neither firm has a reputation that allows it to sell things at a premium price point. Facebook and Google give away so much (in exchange for data) that paying money for Facebook or Google goods and services just wouldn’t occur to most people. In fact, both of their major “successes” with getting people to pay money for products are with other brands that they have acquired (Oculus and Android). What brand would Facebook sell this watch under? The Facebook brand? If so, it’ll be a tough sell getting people to pay $150-$400 for Facebook, it’s the same reason the Snapchat glasses failed.

Reactions: Captain Trips

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
This will be a nice addition to the very successful facebook phone.

Hushpuppy!

macrumors member
May 25, 2016
People laughing about this don’t understand that this is ultimately a good thing for competition and thus a good thing for us. Super glad you lot aren’t in charge of any major decisions :)
The competition this watch will bring to the market will be about as much as the Facebook phone brought ?
Do you remember the Facebook phone? And where is that now…

davidjschloss

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2015
People laughing about this don’t understand that this is ultimately a good thing for competition and thus a good thing for us. Super glad you lot aren’t in charge of any major decisions :)
You can understand how competition works and still laugh at the companies and their competition. The Zune was great in that it spurred on better iPod development. It was bad in that it was a buggy POS.

Possible to laugh at the Zune and still appreciate it kept Apple on its toes.

• Haha
Reactions: Suckfest 9001

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Possible to laugh at the Zune and still appreciate it kept Apple on its toes.
Did it though?

By the time the Zune was released in 2006, we know that Apple was already working on the iPhone, and I doubt they saw anything about it that prompted them to change course with respect to what they were already doing. I struggle to see anything in the iPod that can be attributed to the Zune.

Like I said, there is "competition" and there is meaningful competition. It probably elicited a few chuckles from Steve Jobs and his team and then they just went back to working on the iPhone.

Reactions: Captain Trips

Captain Trips

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2020
It probably elicited a few chuckles from Steve Jobs and his team and then they just went back to working on the iPhone.
Overheard at the Apple complex at the time:
"Man, what a piece of ****!"
"Yeah, but it is Microsoft, did you really expect any better?"
"Best of all, that **** brown color, so even the clueless people know the Zune is a POS."
:cool:

Reactions: Abazigal

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
The competition this watch will bring to the market will be about as much as the Facebook phone brought ?
Do you remember the Facebook phone? And where is that now…
yeah, so? Do you remember Ping? Newton? 2018 MacBook Pros? Just because a company released a garbage product doesn’t mean they forever will. Money can solve these kinds of quality/effort problems, and they got more than enough money if they cared enough.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
yeah, so? Do you remember Ping? Newton? 2018 MacBook Pros? Just because a company released a garbage product doesn’t mean they forever will. Money can solve these kinds of quality/effort problems, and they got more than enough money if they cared enough.

It’s not about money. It’s about Facebook lacking the design-led product culture needed to make a product category like wearables succeed. Without the right mindset and processes in place, you can throw all the money you want at trying to make a smart watch work, and it still won’t.

MowgliWolf

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2020
So a watch that may one the future require a Facebook account or it may refuse to tell the time, or work?

if it’s anything like the Oculus debacle a little while ago, I’m not 100% sure this is going to go well...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I’d still be curious to see what it has to offer. Not that this would be a product segment for me from Facebook, [as I think the Apple Watch is the obvious choice for iPhone compatibility], but this is one of those products I feel will either completely fall flat or do really well. Nobody here knows what this company can actually produce. Time will tell. (<— Pun intended.)

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Dear Baby Yoda that thing is horrifying. It makes me grumpy just reading about the idea of having something on my wrist I have to talk nice to to earn gems or some garbage like that.

Rage is what keeps me awake when the caffeine wears off.

(I'm joking of course, but who on earth wants to be goaded to be nice by an ugly cuff on the wrist. It sounds like something out of Brave New World.)
Considering that article is over 6 years old, I had completely forgotten about it, and have never seen a single person with one ... I doubt many people felt much differently than you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.