Facebook's Evil New Algorithm

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by aaronvan, Sep 8, 2014.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

So the way I understand it, Facebook recently changed their algorithm so that now, if you don’t click "like" or reply to a friend often enough, then that particular friend’s posts will disappear from your feed. Apparently, Facebook wants to force click’s, or otherwise acknowledge all posts. This will effect lurkers and other people who don't feel the need to share every little moment with the public at large. Is this true and is there a workaround?

it was bad enough that FB tried to force to their messages app and are conducting psyops on unsuspecting users; now they are manipulating their users to force clicks.

2. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

It's likely been similar to that for a while. What happens to the person who doesn't like things? It'll go off level of interaction, and the relationship they can infer i'd imagine

3. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

4. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

We are agreed. Won't touch it.

5. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

But not nearly as satisfying as thwarting them. And let's face it (pun), some of our relatives are on FB and they're not going to switch to Google+ or anything else, so you're kind of forced into it. If you want to keep up with the nieces and nephews, that is.

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Also much agreed. My life is so much better not having Facebook. I speak with people all the time who tell me things about what they see and read on there and it reinforces my feeling and desire to never have an account on that site.

Very true and succinctly stated. :)

8. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Good. The friends I don't click "Like" to their posts or comment, I don't really care to see anyway. This just helps me avoid seeing people's pictures of their kids, their "Share if you l love jesus" shares, etc. Sounds awesome to me. :D

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Exactly. Agreed completely.

Neither will I; I don't have an account, and do not really see the need for one...

Excellent distinction. Very well said.

And once again, I am in full agreement with you on this. Must say that I never 'got' the idea of Facebook….

10. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

I thought this thread must have been bumped from 2011.

11. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Well, Facebook just killed themselves. Because now all of my friends will slowly disappear, and I'll be left with a blank wall. Totally what Facebook wants, right?

12. kolax macrumors G3

I use Twitter more than Facebook because of that. My local football (soccer) team posts Facebook updates, usually before kick off with the team selection, news, ticket updates etc. Sometimes these appear in my feed as highlights the following day and I don't see them when they are posted. Even though I've 'liked' them, I have no control over when I get to see them.

I only use Facebook for chat because I can use the web client or my phone. If Facebook didn't have the chat functionality, I would've left ages ago.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I don't get why I just can't see all the real wall posts from my friends in order of date posted, and none of the app bollocks crap that I have to block.

14. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

You may be correct, but I have never used it. I will digress, my entire family uses it and they know I don't.

I am the last to know everything, but I deal with it.:D

15. dianestory2 macrumors 6502

I guess this is why I only see the statuses of like a dozen people out of the 300 some friends I have

16. evoga macrumors member

evoga

I don't like Facebook but the Facebook paper app is excellent for reading news and checking on updates from companies instead of using regular Facebook. Plus messenger is built in so no need for a separate app.

17. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

For myself I have a love hate relationship with Facebook. It's a very good way to stay in touch with family members you don't live close to. However I have gotten sick of some family members, so much so that I defriended them.

However if what was posted in the OP, it's absolutely stupid. FB has no business encouraging participation by threading to remove friends posts from your feed just because you don't feel like acknowledging every post. They are shooting themselves in the foot. Removing news feeds should be the individuals decision, not Big Brother's.