MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

mzl.xlipgfgz.320x480-75.jpg

Facebook has updated their free Facebook App for iPhone tonight. Version 3.5 includes the following new features and improvements:
Made it easier to share with who you want
- Added the ability to tag friends and places in posts
- Added the ability to share external links from a web view
- Added new design for Profile and Group Walls
- Improved the sharing tool to add privacy controls on posts and match your settings on the web site

Improvements and bug fixes:
- Improved Notifications speed
- Fixed a number of Chat bugs
- Made it easier to select filters in News Feed
- Fixed a bug with the Notifications bar disappearing
- Fixed a number of Photos bugs
- Improved performance and stability overall
The new version still doesn't include iPad support, which was leaked in late July.

Article Link: Facebook's iOS App Updated to 3.5, No iPad Support Yet

iTim314

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2005
U.S.
Downloading.

For one of the most popular apps on the App Store, it's always been riddled and plagued with bugs and instability. Just seeing "Improved performance and stability overall" gives me a glimmer of hope.

/dramatic post

Comment

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California
About time. I can't believe that they've neglected these bugs for so long. They really need to step up their iOS development team.

Comment

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
They forgot to mention on the change log:
- Fired all devs who couldn't code themselves out of a paper bag and hired new ones that actually know what they're doing.

/sarcasm

Comment

Mochi Hana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Texas
Downloading.

For one of the most popular apps on the App Store, it's always been riddled and plagued with bugs and instability. Just seeing "Improved performance and stability overall" gives me a glimmer of hope.

/dramatic post
I hope they fixed these bugs. I haven't been using it because of how messed up it was.

Comment

TaterToT

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2009
OK
Can't figure out how to tag a friend in status... I tried using @ but it doesn't work. Anyone know?

Comment

mrockm01

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2007
NC
I like the added feature of adding locations to statuses by default. I was just thinking today how interesting it was to have it on the desktop version and not the mobile

Comment

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
The app is surprisingly much faster and FINALLY supports posting links! I'm very very pleased.
That was my favorite part. It actually works well ... for now. It always seems to go downhill a month later.

Also, you still can't use the system wide copy function. That's just plain lame. You also can't like individual comments app wide still (it doesn't show up if looking at comments from the notifications tray).

Uhhh not seeing it... Maybe I'm blind
Status > icon directly above Q and W keys to the left of the Places icon. It's the left most icon and looks like a person with a +

photops.png

Last edited:
Comment

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
Oh my gosh, the app actually feels usable now!

The copy/paste thing is pathetic though... Could Facebook really not implement this standard feature of iOS? It's one of the things the iPhone had over Android phones! ;o

Comment

TaterToT

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2009
OK
That was my favorite part. It actually works well ... for now. It always seems to go downhill a month later.

Also, you still can't use the system wide copy function. That's just plain lame.

Status > icon directly above Q and W keys to the left of the Places icon. It's the left most icon and looks like a person with a +

photops.png

That's weird... mine still looks like the old Facebook app

Comment

TaterToT

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2009
OK
They had a fully baked iPad app in the last version (it's been pulled from this one) but it was hidden.

I have half a mind that they want iPad users to use the website.

Delete and reinstall.

I did.. still have the old status update thing

Comment

genshi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Portland, Oregon
Not the best update for me. Is anyone else getting this? They moved the "Chat" icon to the next page and for some dumb reason, duplicated the "Photos" icon (both of which lead to the same group of albums.) Yes, I've deleted and reinstalled; same issue.

Attachments

• IMG_3560.jpg
    IMG_3560.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 130
Comment

30Two

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2011
New Zealand
Not the best update for me. Is anyone else getting this? They moved the "Chat" icon to the next page and for some dumb reason, duplicated the "Photos" icon (both of which lead to the same group of albums.) Yes, I've deleted and reinstalled; same issue.

I get the same problem. It's a pain having the chat icon on the second page. Especially because we don't have the separate message / chat app in New Zealand yet.

Comment

mdignen

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2009
I get the same problem. It's a pain having the chat icon on the second page. Especially because we don't have the separate message / chat app in New Zealand yet.

Press and hold on an icon, they will wiggle and you can move them just like on the iOS home screen.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.