Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dermike

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
With the phone I prefer Touch ID. I could just have my finger resting on the button and put the phone over the terminal and it would trigger Apple Pay automatically. With Face ID it’s more work involved to actually look at it first. Apple Watch rules though :)

Reactions: CaptMarvel and Tim7

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
Worked a lot better than I thought it would! Tried it last night at McDonald’s and it got my face on the first try. I was worried about having to double click, but it’s more reliable than TouchID on my 6 Plus. The cashier was pretty excited to see it in action.

Reactions: BvizioN

AppleZombie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
SoCal
With the phone I prefer Touch ID. I could just have my finger resting on the button and put the phone over the terminal and it would trigger automatically. With Face ID it’s more work involved. Apple Watch rules though :)

Yeah Apple Watch is the best option even if using Touch ID.
[doublepost=1509902839][/doublepost]
Worked a lot better than I thought it would! Tried it last night at McDonald’s and it got my face on the first try. I was worried about having to double click, but it’s more reliable than TouchID on my 6 Plus. The cashier was pretty excited to see it in action.

So was it pretty much pushing the side button and that's it?

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
fwiw.. i've seen a few comments and a video where people assume your phone has to be near the reader during authentication (ala touchID).. which, imo, is awkward.

• double-click the side button
• let it read your face
• move phone to reader.

-----
you can test this right now.. without being near a reader.. do steps 1 & 2 (it's actually 1 step.. but still)

if you were trying to pay, you then move the phone over to the reader for step 3

anticipate

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2013
Apple Watch is by far the best. Double click and done. Apple Pay on Face ID is close though - double click and boom, ready.

AppleZombie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
SoCal
fwiw.. i've seen a few comments and a video where people assume your phone has to be near the reader during authentication.. which, imo, is awkward.

• double-click the side button
• let it read your face
• move phone to reader.

-----
you can test this right now.. without being near a reader.. do steps 1 & 2..
if you were trying to pay, you then move the phone over to the reader for step 3

The second step is what I am curious about. I am assuming that as you double tap the side button it has already read your face. So really it's just double tap near the reader and thats it.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
The second step is what I am curious about. I am assuming that as you double tap the side button it has already read your face. So really it's just double tap near the reader and thats it.

no.. it re-reads your face at that point.

(meaning, if you've already unlocked your phone with faceID, you still need to re-scan prior to using ApplePay)

but it's super fast.. maybe 1 second to do steps 1&2

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
see this video at 2:20

in reality, it's faster than what's shown there since they're being so exact/clear in the demo.. but the point i was trying to make earlier is shown there..

do the authentication first.. then move the phone to the reader..

instead of trying to put the phone near the reader first then trying to get authentication from that position. (as you would with touchID)

Reactions: AdonisSMU

mainomega

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
I take my phone out of my pocket. Double click on the side. I’ll look down to make sure the appple pay interface is up and then action also verifies my I’d. Then tap the reader.

It’s a lot easier because it’s all done instantly. Take phone,double click,look,pay. If you live somewhere where winter is a thing you know how annoying it is having to take off your gloves to use Apple Pay.

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
Don't have the iPhone X yet, but I can see a potential issue. At our apartment basement we have a electric vehicle charing station (which we use). To prevent cars for hitting the charing station, there is a vertical beam to protect the charing station. The beam's height is as hight as the NFC sensing area for the station and there is a good five inch spacing between the NFC sensing area to the beam.

So first of all even without the beam I'd have to put the phone at the NFC sensor area of the station, once the phone senses the NFC I then have to kneel down and use Face ID to pay authorize (the sensor area on these charing station is typically chest height). Now WITH the beam there is no way for the iPhone X to see me without seeing the protected beam, due to the small clearance.

This has not been an issue with touch id. Certainly not saying is a deal breaker but it's something to think about.

just saw the video posted by flat five, I guess with face id you can do the authentication first, then pay. That's good to know.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Anyone pay with their X yet? How was the process compared to Touch ID? Thanks!
The faceID is definitely easier. You also don't have to time your thumb to be perfectly aligned on your device for it to work. You just double tap the side button look at the phone and point it at the terminal. It happens all in one movement.

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012
Anyone pay with their X yet? How was the process compared to Touch ID? Thanks!

I thought it would be worse than Touch ID, but now that I understand the flow with FaceID and Apple Pay, it's actually better. You double click the side button and face ID authenticates, then hold to reader (BANG!) - it's done. It seems faster than touch ID. With touch ID there was always an awkward little pause while you held your finger over the home button and it authenticated. Here, you are already authenticated as you hold it to the reader. And since Face ID is super fast, once you doubleclick to bring up Apple Pay, the whole process is better.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
Don't have the iPhone X yet, but I can see a potential issue. At our apartment basement we have a electric vehicle charing station (which we use). To prevent cars for hitting the charing station, there is a vertical beam to protect the charing station. The beam's height is as hight as the NFC sensing area for the station and there is a good five inch spacing between the NFC sensing area to the beam.

So first of all even without the beam I'd have to put the phone at the NFC sensor area of the station, once the phone senses the NFC I then have to kneel down and use Face ID to pay authorize (the sensor area on these charing station is typically chest height). Now WITH the beam there is no way for the iPhone X to see me without seeing the protected beam, due to the small clearance.

This has not been an issue with touch id. Certainly not saying is a deal breaker but it's something to think about.
heh.. i've tried outlining in this thread-- twice now.. that your phone doesn't have to see you while the transaction is occurring..

oh well.. people will figure it out eventually.. it's super easy anyway.. i guess you just have to use it instead of theorize over it.

:)

----
[edit]
just saw your edit..
you got it now..
i actually think you'll like or prefer faceID in the situation you describe.
;)

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
Yes tried it this morning as treated myself to a McDonalds brekky.

Straight forward and easy.

Picked the phone up, double tap the side and it read my face then moved it out the window onto the machine and bam

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012
heh.. i've tried outlining in this thread-- twice now.. that your phone doesn't have to see you while the transaction is occurring..

oh well.. people will figure it out eventually.. it's super easy anyway.. i guess you just have to use it instead of theorize over it.

Yeah, you are already authenticated when you hold the phone to the reader. (unlike TouchID where you are authenticated AT the reader). TouchID is worse for this process. Face ID is the bees knees, all around.

Reactions: jamin00

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010

So I do have a follow up question. With the touch id, the phone can be a sleep and I put it against the sensor and it would wake up and "auto select" the right payment method for me (in this case is my charing card). Then I just use touch id. But with the face id, won't I have to select which payment I want to use every time instead of just let the phone auto select for me?

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
So I do have a follow up question. With the touch id, the phone can be a sleep and I put it against the sensor and it would wake up and "auto select" the right payment method for me (in this case is my charing card). Then I just use touch id. But with the face id, won't I have to select which payment I want to use every time instead of just let the phone auto select for me?
When you double tap the button, the default card still shows up. Swipe down to bring up other cards.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
So I do have a follow up question. With the touch id, the phone can be a sleep and I put it against the sensor and it would " auto select" the right payment method for me (in this case is my charing card). Then I just use touch id. But with the face id, won't I have to select which payment I want to use every time instead of just let the phone auto select for me?
hmm..
i'm not sure.

i only have one debit card connected to ApplePay.. i don't know about selecting different options.

-----------------
that said, if your X is sleeping.. you don't have to unlock it first in order to use ApplePay.. just double-click the side button on a sleeping phone and ApplePay comes up.

Reactions: aajeevlin

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
When you double tap the button, the default card still shows up. Swipe down to bring up other cards.

These are not default cards. They are application specific automatically selected by the phone upon putting it close to the charing station sensor.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
These are not default cards. They are application specific automatically selected by the phone upon putting it close to the charing station sensor.
So the charging station actually has Apple Pay cards that aren't credit cards? That is kind of cool, and I would like to see a screenshot. I don't drive an electric car, but I have always wondered how these worked. I have always thought you could use a regular credit card with them.

alee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
New York, NY
Touch to sensor (default card pops), tilt up to see your face, tilt back to sensor

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.