iPhone X FaceID and surgical masks

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dlbmacfan, Jun 29, 2018.

1. dlbmacfan macrumors regular

I'm going to be upgrading to the iPhone X successor this fall, and I work in an operating room. What kind of experience do people have with FaceID and surgical masks? I've seen conflicting reports on the internet.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I doubt it would work with a surgical mask. I can just cover my mouth with my hand and it stops FaceID from working. The mask would cover even more.

3. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

This

Surgical mask covers the whole face almost. Too low on datapoints to validate.

4. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

They allow you to have a cell phone in an operating room?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Do you think once iOS12 comes out with its ability to store multiple faces, OP would be able to store a second face with the surgical mask on and that would work?

I don't have an iPhone X or iOS12, so was just wondering.

6. dlbmacfan thread starter macrumors regular

Weaselboy, that's kind of what I was wondering.

7. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Geez, haven't you ever watched Grey's Anatomy?

8. dlbmacfan thread starter macrumors regular

Yes they do. In my line of work they are essential, because that's how my partners and I communicate with one another during the day.

9. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

It might work but I wouldn't count on it (storing multiples in iOS 12 using a mask and no mask). The mask would have to be in the same position and look the same (no wrinkles, creases, etc. moving around). Face ID plots points on your face and if they are moving around it may not work in my mostly uneducated opinion. :)

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

They just do not want US to have cell phones. Times I have been there I used my phone, even the nurses and cleaner use their cell phone.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 29, 2018 ---
    I would think that would be a possibility for sure. Anyone could find out by putting on a mask and going through the FaceID activation. I am thinking it would work.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 29, 2018 ---
    How does one sterilize the cell phone for the surgical room?

11. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

12. faceless_man macrumors newbie

faceless_man

You don’t necessarily need everything to be sterile to be in the OR. In the ORs I’ve worked in, docs, techs, and nurses carry their phones, pagers, ID’s and either keep them in their pockets under their sterile gowns, or leave them on a (non-sterile) table somewhere away from the operating field. I’ve even been asked to check pages and texts while docs are operating in case of an emergency.

(Source: med student)

As for the OPs question, it may be worth trying to store as a second face in iOS 12 but as it stands it definitely does not work with a mask on.

13. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

14. Gav2k, Jun 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2018

Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

iOS 12 does solve the issue. Just add a second face scan with your mast on. Simple as that

15. Mrbobb macrumors 601

That's like asking if you can register a fingerprint with gloves. Wait for next technology.

16. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

Now that iOS 12 is here has anyone tried to use FaceID with a surgical mask on to see if it works? This is the one thing keeping me from buying a new phone. I am a surgeon in a spay/neuter facility and have a surgical mask on for many hours every day. However, I change gloves between each surgery, and this is when I check my phone, using touchID. I currently use a 6, and I’d love to upgrade to a new phone, but I don’t "need" to. The 6 works just fine, and if I can’t use FaceID with the mask on I will probably keep the 6 and spend my money on a different new toy.

17. GlenK, Oct 28, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2018

GlenK macrumors 6502a

GlenK

I haven't tried this yet but you may be able to set up an "alternate appearance" in Face ID settings. I'm going to try that with/without glasses and lower light. I noticed last night that with real low lighting it had a hard time reading my face.

Not sure if alternate appearances will work or not but going to try it.

18. msooffutt macrumors member

Wearing a mask, with iOS 12 alternate appearance, doesn’t work. It tells you to remove the obstruction from your face. When iOS 11 first came out, it allowed me to do this. Only problem with that, as you can guess, was you would always have to wear the mask to open the phone. I was happy to hear that iOS 12 allowed an alternative appearance, but unfortunately apple made it impossible to use with a mask on. I’m guessing they had to do it for security reasons, because it would make it easier for people to fool it.

19. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the response. It makes sense but is very unfortunate. Oh well! Maybe in some future update they’ll fix the security issue. I may still pick up an XR to see if there’s any way to make it work. I’d really love an upgraded camera and better battery.

20. GlenK macrumors 6502a

GlenK

Thanks for the reply msooffutt, saved me some time. I didn't know that since I'm new to face ID. Came from 8+..

21. msooffutt macrumors member

Yes, I was very disappointed as well. It’s the only thing I miss about touchid. Other than that, faceid works great. You could try taking your mask to the apple store and see if they will let you try it on a demo unit. I doubt very much it’ll work. I will admit that the mask I use is a large one, but I’ve tried it many times and even took off the two filters, leaving just the mask, and it still didn’t work. I even called apple support, and they agreed it was a security issue. If I have a smaller mask, I’ll see if that works.

22. msooffutt macrumors member

[​IMG]

Ok, I tried with this smaller mask and this is what you will see.

23. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

That’s more than 50% of Face covered. Such mask with Face ID will definitely not work. It just doesn’t have enough data points to match with any existing data. This is the same reason when you take passport pictures, you’re not allowed to cover faces.

24. msooffutt, Oct 28, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2018

msooffutt macrumors member

Yes, I agree. I just remember all of the news outlets saying that this would work great for surgeons wearing masks, but I doubt it will work for them either. As you point out, there isn’t enough data points. As I mentioned in my other post, this did work in iOS 11. I tried it with a much bigger mask and it worked. This was in the first version of iOS 11. I never bothered trying with the other versions since I knew I would never use it like this since you could only use one face to open the phone. I’m sure they changed it for security reasons. I just put this pic up so others could see, so they don’t buy just for this feature. I guess the alternative face is for people that sometimes wear makeup and to put in a family member's faceid.

25. terraphantm macrumors 68040

As long as you’re not scrubbed in (which is usually the surgeon(s), scrub nurses, and occasionally students), it’s fine.