FaceID at an angle

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DaBlackMamba, Nov 5, 2017.

1. DaBlackMamba macrumors member

My FaceID really only works well when the phone is facing me directly. If it’s laying flat on the table in front of me, it won’t work unless I lift it up a little. Is something wrong?

I didn’t upgrade from the 7 plus to move to something inferior. I can live with this for a year but they better put touchID in the screen next year as we knew they definitely wanted to do but couldn’t.

2. Payton34 macrumors member

Payton34

I’m finding the same to be true. Tried it laying down at night and it had a hard time recognizing.

3. aacealo, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017

aacealo macrumors member

I turned off the attention aware feature on mine because waking up and opening both eyes while looking at a bright screen wasn’t going to work. Same goes for steepish angles. Like... laying flat on the table in front of me. That’s not a particularly unusual case.

All in all the system works okay, but Touch ID was more reliable. Face ID has the convenience advantage. I love that it just attempts to authenticate and fill fields. That makes the experience seamless, but it also needs to be reliable and it currently is not.

4. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

Reset FaceID and set it up like you will be unlocking. If you’re not unlocking from eye level, don’t set it up that way.

5. aacealo macrumors member

Works fine for me during the day, but it’s Apple’s job to understand that users may utilize the feature in many ways. The goal of making magical devices that “just work” can’t turn into beautiful devices that punk out more than the feature they replaced. Certain aspects may be more spontaneous, but using the phone in bed in a dark room or lying on a table versus holding the device squared to the eyes are variations that should just work and currently they’re intermittent at best.

6. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

I must be lucky. It failed for me once on Friday. I put my passcode in, and FaceID hasn’t failed again. It works in my car mount and on my desk at work. TouchID failed a couple of times on my iPad today though.

7. rkoshack macrumors regular

I would assume it can only work if the camera can see you no?

Turn on the camera app front facing and if your face isn’t in the frame at that angle I would assume face Id won’t work at that angle either

8. nheilweil macrumors 6502a

nheilweil

Absolutely correct! Turn your front-facing camera on and see how much tilt of the phone (or craning of your neck) you’ll need to get in the shot. FaceID wants at least half my face to determine it’s me.

This is the minimum I need to be in the shot for FaceID to work:

D9764D85-10FC-4DC6-80A4-0C44B2FAE47F.jpeg

Damn I’m good looking!

9. flat five, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017

flat five macrumors 603

flat five

it uses a different system than the front facing camera.. the range for faceID is wider than the faceTime lens..

[edit] see picture above my post.. if that was faceID, it would fail but he's saying faceID works when the front camera sees that much..

[edit 2].. i just tried that.. i think you can be a little more outside of the example shown above.. my eyes were just inside the view of the faceTime camera and it unlocked with faceID..

if i tried it with just my eyebrows showing, it failed..

that said, there may be some other factors at play if trying this yourself.. different distances from the phone will likely show variances in how much the selfie cam can see during a successful face scan..
    i was doing it while sitting in a chair with my phone on the desk.

10. Rahul katara macrumors newbie

the only problem is the face ID stopped working after the phone dropped from the head hieght.its camera was still intact and had no issues whatsoever.
    So be careful
    http://www.thehelicals.com/iphone-x-drop-test-simply-impressive/

11. jettie1767 macrumors 6502

I have this problem as well. I've boxed up my X and went back to my 8 Plus. But, tonight, I decided I will give it another try and see if I can make it work for me.