iPhone 11 Pro FaceID v3.0 = Touch ID finally in performance?

UBS28

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
So according to Apple, they say that the iPhone 11 Pro has improved angles for Face ID. Does that mean I can finally have Face ID that works when it is on my desk, rather than me having to lean over it like with the iPhone X?

Reactions: eyeseeyou

JPack

macrumors 601
Mar 27, 2017
The fact that Apple will be adopting in-display fingerprint in 2020 or 2021 hints at what Apple thinks vs. what Apple marketing says.

Mr.Blacky

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2016
Austria
The fact that Apple will be adopting in-display fingerprint in 2020 or 2021 hints at what Apple thinks vs. what Apple marketing says.
It's amazing to see, that there are still people who think to know, that Apple quickly developed FaceID as a secondary solution, because they couldn't get in-screen TouchID right.
Where is the "fact" in-screen TouchID is coming?

Reactions: doboy and nrvna76

JPack

macrumors 601
Mar 27, 2017
It's amazing to see, that there are still people who think to know, that Apple quickly developed FaceID as a secondary solution, because they couldn't get in-screen TouchID right.
Where is the "fact" in-screen TouchID is coming?
The fact that the two most credible and accurate Apple analysts have said so.

Reactions: EM2013 and balaplus

JPack

macrumors 601
Mar 27, 2017
Chances are the in-display reader is for their lower end phones.
The TrueDepth camera module is estimated to cost $13.50 in the iPhone XS. The low-cost iPhone next year is expected to have a Home button. I would say the "cost" angle doesn't add up given what we know.

Pug72

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
England
Though I found TouchID pretty good, it's not a patch on FaceID. Was out in the sun walking the dog yesterday and instant unlock with shades on.

Ralfi

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
It’s brilliant on the X. Can only be better on the 11.

Speed of detection/animation match that of the iPad Pro 11” now.

dan9700

Suspended
May 28, 2015
It’s same as Xs max the iOS 13 is the difference in speed angles are same as well

MadCar

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2014
The internet
Many are young on here and the population shift is getting older. Ask someone who is older to use touch ID and look at there hands.

They have virtually no fingerprint, for them and this demographic Face ID is perfect.

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
Many are young on here and the population shift is getting older. Ask someone who is older to use touch ID and look at there hands.

They have virtually no fingerprint, for them and this demographic Face ID is perfect.
That is true. My mother falls in that demography and TouchID is useless for her. im excited to hand my Xs Max down to her this weekend.

Reactions: Azathoth123

Broken Hope

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2015
I for one love FaceID, it works pretty well for me more than TouchID did.
- - Post merged: - -

What? That doesn’t make any sense.
It makes perfect sense, gets rid of the home button, full screen with small bezels without the cost of Face ID.

Apple aren’t going to go on about how secure Face ID is on their flagship phones only to go back to a fingerprint reader.

aFlockaCgulz

Suspended
Aug 21, 2019
So according to Apple, they say that the iPhone 11 Pro has improved angles for Face ID. Does that mean I can finally have Face ID that works when it is on my desk, rather than me having to lean over it like with the iPhone X?
It's not v3.0. It's not even v2.0 It's just been slightly upgraded.

Mike82

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
It makes perfect sense, gets rid of the home button, full screen with small bezels without the cost of Face ID.

Apple aren’t going to go on about how secure Face ID is on their flagship phones only to go back to a fingerprint reader.
So you think a lower end iPhone will have a full screen display while the higher end will still have a notch of some sort? Seems unlikely to me.

CNebs

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2018
Northern VA
Face ID is a superior methodology over fingerprint for multiple reasons:

1. As you age your prints wear down and may become unreadable.
2. Depending on your profession damage to fingerprints can also cause them to become unreadable.
3. I had a student who played with liquid nitrogen when young and her fingerprints are unreadable.
4. The belief of everyone having a unique fingerprint is a fallacy and actually isn’t rooted in science. It’s a belief that’s been held on far too long. Might as well believe in phrenology.

Face ID is far better at protecting what’s important to you.

Reactions: aFlockaCgulz

sky87

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2015

My mom had an iPhone 7 and was never able to use the touch ID feature due to fingerprint issues, so she always had to key in her passcode each time she wanted to use her phone. She just switched to an iPhone XR and face ID works great for her.

For myself - touch ID was faster, but I can live with face ID on my X (and I still get a bit of a thrill seeing the lock unlock when I look at my phone).

jkozlow3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
I for one love FaceID, it works pretty well for me more than TouchID did.
Same. FaceID works MUCH, MUCH better for me that TouchID ever has. I've owned multiple iPhones & iPads with TouchID over the years and ALL of them sucked. I always had to try TouchID multiple times and ended up having to enter my passcode probably 30-50% of the time. Must be my fingers or something. But I've never had an issue with FaceID at all.

CE3

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
There’s no improving Face ID. It’s flawed and will never be perfect. Touch ID, on the other hand, is the best Apple invention, and billions of people can’t wait for its return.
I prefer Touch ID but I've had no issues with Face ID on the XR. It works as well Touch ID did for me, and no wet finger issues now. I even keep my selfie cam covered most of the time, so it's just using the IR camera.