FaceID working as expected?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Aibocyrus, Nov 5, 2017.

?

Is FaceID working well all the time for you?

1. Yes

78.1%
  2. No

6.3%
  3. Sometimes

15.6%
  1. Aibocyrus macrumors 6502a

Aibocyrus

im noticing FaceID is working well sometimes but other times not as much. I’m curious how it’s going for everyone else now that we’ve had plenty of chances to use it. I did a search in the forums but nothing came up with a topic like this.

2. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

It’s certainly way better than I thought it would ever be. I was skeptical and figured it’d suck in comparison to Touch ID but now there’s no way in hell I’d wanna go back to Touch ID.

Does it work 100% of the time when I’m trying to unlock my phone? No. But neither did Touch ID. I find it’s about the same ratio of success/failure. Where I’m finding it struggles a little bit is If i have the phone laying flat on a table but other than that, no issues whatsoever.

3. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Mine has been outstanding. Inside, outdoors in the sun, at night in pretty much pitch black in the bedroom.

Something I just did that was a little surprising. My X is charging on our kitchen counter (where we charge our devices), a raised area like a bar, I was standing off angle both vertically +AND+ horizontally. Maybe 30º on each, and it worked. I did several tests standing slightly back and to the side (there's a clear zone where it works), but it's not like you have to hold it, exactly at X length perfectly perpendicular to your face, eye level.

4. jettie1767 macrumors 6502

Sometimes it doesn't unlock for me when it's on my desk and my face is at a steep angle from the phone when I'm sitting. I have to pick it up to get it to unlock.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Mine has worked well. Even with glass and even sunglasses. I set my faceID up in the car outside the Apple store and could not be more happy. You forget it is working after a while.

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

That's a valid point about touch ID, it worked well, but if your fingerprint wasn't exactly place as it should, it would not unlock the phone. Similarly tell Face ID would still require the right angle for to be successfully unlocking your phone.

7. walex19 macrumors regular

walex19

8. sky87 macrumors member

Works well for me, the failure rate is probably similar to with Touch ID.

I like how the notifications now are hidden until you look at the phone. Also like that I can tap anywhere on the screen to wake it.

Downside is that it's harder to check notifications/unlock if phone is sitting on a table

9. macsplusmacs macrumors 6502

even better then expected.

I face' id into my phone, and I had 1password as the foremost app, and it auto faceID'd to open 1password.

FaceID = GOLD

10. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

It’s marvelous tech. Very impressive and miles ahead of anything similar on the market.

11. Carilyn macrumors member

Carilyn

Face id kinda blows me away actually. I love it and it’s working flawlessly so far.

12. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

Haven’t tried with glasses yet but I’m impressed when it worked in the dark on my bed. Lols

13. TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

Been working like a champ for me so far regardless of lighting conditions.

You need not believe me, I care not, but I’ve yet to have a fail. No doubt I will at some point, but it hasn’t happened yet.

I’m loving it tbh, especially the logging into apps and websites without having to put my thumb on Touch ID. A small thing yes, but I completely love it.

14. Blondie&Dagwood macrumors 6502

Blondie&Dagwood

I found it to be inconsistent until I turned off the “Require Attention feature”. Once I turned that off, it’s been working 9 out of 10 times

15. JD2015 macrumors 6502a

Working brilliantly for me. Tried it today with the sunlight really shining directly at me and worked just fine. Apple Pay is something I found unreliable and not quick with touch ID. However, tried it today with Face ID and involved less hassle I thought. Also impressed with safari and how it won't automatically populate your passwords until it has verified Face ID. Couldn't be happier with Face ID and its implementation is superb.

16. woo macrumors newbie

Registered my face without my glasses on. I always wear one of two pairs of glasses (regular and computer) and FaceID always works when looking directly at the phone. At first it was hit or miss when the phone was lying horizontal on the desk, but it seems that over time it has become better at horizontal recognition and is now almost 100% when glancing at it on the desk...

17. LD Curb macrumors 6502

LD Curb

18. Allyance macrumors regular

Allyance

19. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

I’m surprised that FaceID works on twins and brothers yet can’t read my face 100% of the time. I originally registered it while wearing glasses, and it was particularly bad at identifying me when I was not wearing them, then redid it without my glasses. The accuracy has improved, but it’s still not 100%. Will see if accuracy improves over time.

20. anticipate macrumors 6502

anticipate

Except at extreme angles, like when it’s in the dock and I have to lift it up a little, i fund it works exceedingly well, maybe even TOO well (it unlocks a lot). The best thing by far is a by app or keychain that needed Touch ID to unlock, it’s just instant now. Super fast, faster than Touch ID in that respect. You don’t have to do anything - it just happens. So nice. Biggest improvement so far for me.

21. predation macrumors 65816

Working well here. Was at a bar last night with a buddy who had the note 8.
    He always had to either finger print or passcode.

Faceid worked every time for me.

22. Ernst Krenek macrumors newbie

Ernst Krenek

Across the world, users rejoice in Face ID, while poor me despair. For me, Face ID is slow and occasionally failing. I've set it up anew several times – close to my face, further away from my face, slowly rotating my face, even more slowly, in light, in darkness, clockwise and counterclockwise … Faulty device or faulty face?

23. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

24. DiveKitty macrumors 6502

Yes, is working brilliantly. Even passed the following:

1. Wearing toque & with chin covered
    2. Wearing a toque & sunglasses (tried three different pairs including polarized aviators)
    3. Me laying in bed in the dark
    4. X flat on desk and me standing “over” it

25. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

I did the same, now I just glance as I’m swiping up to go to the home screen. Not one failure with reading glasses or sun glasses. I’m happy with it now.