Facetime doesnt work? Getting a refund.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Steviejobz, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

Will give it a week. I mean, let's face it. The front camera was one of the biggest new features that drew people in. I cant use it with ichat or any app so face time is my only route. Have tried in 5 different location with 3 other iphone 4 users.

gets stuck on "connecting" and eventually fails. So Apple - you can either approve an App that lest me chat with an ichat user or give me money for the iphone 4 + another phone since I sold my old phone.

Thanks

2. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

I don't seem have a problem, and I'm using it over Wi-Fi made possible using my jailbroken iPad 3G and the MyWi software.

Even smooth there!

3. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

Facetime worked perfect for me in the two different people I called. Really nice feature.

4. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Lest you be thinking. :cool: :eek: :( :confused: :mad:
    OMG (Oh my, grow up!)./

5. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

mine works amazingly well. sorry to hear yours doesn't

6. Steviejobz thread starter macrumors 68000

What does that have to do with an iPhone 4? I'm confused. You saying you can facetime between your iphone 4 and your ipad?

7. dmurray14 macrumors member

8. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

No problems here. I've used it about 10 times since I got my phone yesterday.

9. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

LMAO puns :D

10. Steviejobz thread starter macrumors 68000

Glad it works for some. But for $600, it probably should work for everyone.

11. Whiteknight55 macrumors newbie

His iPad is sharing its 3G connection over wifi using MyWi. The iPhone connects via wifi to the iPad, thus enabling Facetime over 3G.

12. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Just asking -- did you turn it on in the (phone) settings? It was not on by default in my phone.

13. bina12834 macrumors regular

no...hes saying hes using the MyWi app (turns your 3G signal into a Wifi hotspot) on his jailbroken iPad 3G, to make a wifi connection with his iPhone 4 to use facetime.....basically he can use facetime wherever his iPad 3G has 3G signal. We'll be able to get the MyWi app on our iPhone 4's whenever it gets jailbroken and then we'll be able to facetime wherever we have a 3G signal.

14. randomerratum macrumors 6502

It could also be your, or the other person's firewall settings on their router. I've heard some people running into that... it's worked perfectly for me and my wife so far though.

15. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

16. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Word is you need to check in the phone settings that Caller ID is set to show. If that somehow got turned off. No Facetime.

17. Munitalp macrumors 65816

FaceTime uses WiFi, the problem is probably with your network

18. jallenclark macrumors regular

I have made multiple facetime calls with people around the country in different areas and have no issues at all.

I agree with the users about the wifi you are on, have you tried it from a different wireless network?

19. street89 macrumors newbie

Actually there is an app you can use the front facing camera with even if the whole mobile network system shut down. Its called the camera and you press the icon on the top right. Jesus, how desperate are you to see these people anyway?

20. Steviejobz thread starter macrumors 68000

i mean, i am using an Apple time capsule as my router. Dont think any ports would be closed. I also went to a local starbucks to try.

As for the other 3 people, I dont think they have Apple. One was at a starbucks, one was home using wifi via cable modem, and the other was a t-mo hotspot.

I mean there is a chance that i happen to hit some random combination that doesnt work.

Were all of you in a private location (i.e. home) when it worked?

I will have it checked at Apple store once madness dies down.

21. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Relax for a bit. Skype will doubtless be releasing video chat soon. The camera's not locked for Facetime use only.

22. the-oz-man macrumors 6502

the-oz-man

Works amazing well for me and my wife! Used it at home, at work, and in the park where there is free wifi. It just works!

23. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

go to settings - > phone make sure facetime is on

24. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

We got 2 iPhones, and one wouldn't work with FaceTime at all. We tried enabling it in the options, but it said it failed.

I would try turning it off in settings, and then restarting the phone. Then try again.

Did you back up your iPhone from an old one? I believe this might of caused the misshaps.