FaceTime over 3G comes with iOS 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chevy57, May 28, 2011.

1. chevy57 macrumors regular

http://www.limesn0w.us/2011/05/facetime-in-3g-finally-comes-with-ios-5.html

I hope FaceTime over 3G comes with iOS 5. not requesting Jailbreak. I will find out about WWDC on June 6.

2. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

FaceTime on 3G has more to do with carrier support than anything else. Even if Apple (officially) allows the feature doesn't mean your carrier will allow it.

3. chevy57 thread starter macrumors regular

Other video chat like Tango, Skype, Fring, and ooVoo have both 3G and WiFi to use but carriers don't allow FaceTime over 3G. Why? Unfair!

4. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Inb4 FaceTime rapes Verizon's EVDO network. I'm not sure anyone understands this but Verizon's 3G network has reached it's limits speed wise and there is no more way to improve speed unless they start rolling out EVDO rev B (9.3MB/s downlink) which the iPhone 4 DOES support along with increasing there already epic fibre backhaul. Check out my thread "PDF your 3G speeds" you'll see how much Verizon is lacking behind.

5. Surely Guest

Surely

This is a decision that needs to be made by the carriers, not Apple. It's their networks.

6. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

It will come when the iPhone supports 4G-LTE. Never on 3G.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I dont see why they couldnt. Its not like everyone is going to sit there and Facetime for hours. People use Skype, Sling, Pandora, the MLB app to watch games and many other data intensive apps.
    I dont think Facetime will cause such a drastic increase in traffic.

8. JASApplications macrumors 65816

9. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

I'd bet most people with iP4 don't have any of those apps and carriers know that. A lot of people think the only way to video chat on the iPhone is to use FaceTime.

10. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Those are small time apps and even though pandora is big there is no video. The idea of FaceTime is like an integrated part of the phone dialer meaning EVERYONE will have access to it just like the phone and it will be viewed as always there and not a paid app or something. I think FaceTime over 3G should be like tethering. Something carriers can choose to enable or disable in network settings or if we really want to get nit-picky choose WHERE you can use FaceTime based on where verizon thinks it has a strong EVDO network by using GPS. Just some suggestions.

11. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

I don't understand why people are supporting the carriers having control over this. If it is up to them it will never happen unless they can charge us extra for it.

Facetime would be using data... we already pay for the data on that device. If Apple can get Facetime to perform up to their standards over a 3G connection then it should be enabled.

12. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

The problem is if the carriers can't handle it then the quality will be ****. That gives Apple a bad rep...don't you remember when AT&T was at its worse (depends on the area) and people would dish at the iPhone for the service provider?

13. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

This post was obviously translated and poorly at that. It makes little sense.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Viewing Youtube videos, or watching TV on your phone for hours using Sling or Netflix would consume much more data than doing facetime calls IMO.
    I dont know but I dont think it would be such a big deal when it comes to bandwith. Same thing with Sling that was first released only for Wifi use but they eventually let it stream your TV content over carrier data.
    Just because its available it doesnt mean people will Facetime eachother all the time and for long periods of time. I have a JB iphone 4 and can do Facetime Over 3G now and I use it maybe a few times a week. I usually run it over Wifi cause its available most places I visit.

15. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

But there is still the latency issue...Real time services need like 0 latency to run well....200-400ms Latency seams to be the average I see on all carriers (correct me if I'm wrong) and that is just horrible for FaceTime..my home wifi is sitting at 150ms and that is even bad for my standards.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you.
    Its studders and freezes at times over 3G depending on your connection but its still doable.

17. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Like I get your point and I want it over 3G as well I don't care about quality issues as much as others and I won't go bitching to apple but I can see all the tech articles "Apple's FaceTime studders for success over carriers networks", "FaceTime technical issues, Apple doesn't respond", "FaceTime over carrier data raises questions", "Are 3G networks really ready for FaceTime?", etc.

18. kaifs macrumors member

I know it said 'un-jailbroken', however, my list of apps to have beautiful Face time (at the higher FPS rate also vs. stock app) experience via 3G:
    Face Time Mod
    FaceBreak
    FaceTime Hacktivator
    and, of course, My3G

Face Time Mod only works at higher FramePerSecond if it is installed on both iphones using it, which is not an issue :) since I usually jailbreak and load stuff for my friend anyhow, so it is one of the apps I always load.

19. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.13548/24.871; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Carriers would probably charge for it as a separate phone feature. :(

20. Surely Guest

Surely

I highly doubt that, especially considering there are other services (ie Skype) that already do video over 3G.

21. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

FaceTime needs 3G support and Windows version to really make it big.

22. saberahul macrumors 68040

Looks like we got a vzw hater on the forums. I have my iPhone JB and use facetime a lot on 3G on verizon... never had any issues with lagging or sound quality or video quality.

23. xparacha macrumors newbie

If we see a late 2011 or early 2012 launch then it is quite possible that iPhone 5 would be compatible with 4G which would throw the ball in court of carriers if they would like to have this option!

24. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Can't see it happening to many people out there with unlimited data like me!

25. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

No you just don't know anything other than your personal experience which is null and void in comparison to what we are discussing here. I'm putting down cold hard numbers and facts so people can have a better understanding behind the reasoning of why FaceTime is not currently usable on 3G stock.

Side note I'm curious what carriers that know they can handle it feel about this. For example Bell/Telus and Rogers with there HSPA+ probably have the bandwidth to handle a variety of services strickened to wifi only.