Facetime, why no iChat?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MBX, Jun 7, 2010.

1. MBX macrumors 68000

Why didn't they include iChat-AV on the new iPhone, don't understand it.

Does that mean you can only do Facetime by calling somebody but not just using the WiFi?

2. Ljohnson72 macrumors 6502a

Ljohnson72

You call another iPhone 4 to use it but you need to be on WiFi (for now). I'd imagine an iChat app for 4.1

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I bet it'll eventually show up. I really think Apple rushed Video Chat out because of Gizmodo's leak. So they had to show something or loose the crowd.

That or they just left it up to the developer.

4. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

5. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

+1, that would be pretty awesome. Or, if apps like Beejive could use the camera, that'd be great too.

6. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

yeah, expect it soon either from apple....probably as a free iChat app soon. or third party developers (like beejive) will come out with something I'm sure..

I've looked on apples website and it mentions nothing on how many megapixels the front facing camera is....does anyone have a random guess?

7. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

Because Facetime isnt iChat. iChat is more tied up to textual ways of messaging. Facetime is just that, face time, no configuration video messaging. This is something that is very different than iChat, no account needed of any sort to call someone else and video chat with them. If you are looking for a more traditional account based video chat system, im sure there will be a developer out there who will use the API's to integrate it with AIM (which is what iChat basically is...)

8. Cougarcat macrumors 604

AIM and Skype will undoubtedly update their apps, but I found this the strangest announcement today. Far more people have webcams on their computer than people will have iPhone 4's. They could have easily had a no-configuration for iPhone alongside AIM/gmail/jabber for iChat.

9. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

Couldn't the front facing camera be used by other apps, such as Skype or an AIM app with video chat in addition to using it for the Facetime app?

10. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Exactly! Kind of wish we could video chat with all those iSight-enabled Macs out of the box.

I don't know...I would think so, I mean, 3rd-party apps can use the back camera so I don't see why not...time will tell I guess

11. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Wrong way round I reckon.

Facetime is based around an open standard that Apple's going to try and get accepted on a wider basis. It won't be iChat that goes to the iPhone, it's Facetime that'll go to OSX as the video layer to iChat.

12. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

From what I've read, there were pointers to it in beta versions, so I'm sure there will be APIs supporting it.

13. PhoneI macrumors 68000

Strangest announcement? Now you will buy two iPhones instead of one to use the video chat feature. Apple is laughing all the way to the bank.

14. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Exactly they aren't going to turn any form of ichat into an open standard for use on other devices so they went with face time instead

15. tuna macrumors 6502

I'm wondering the same thing.

16. Pared macrumors 65816

This makes sense. They have the API to call the camera, and the camera simply has the button to record an image or video.

Unless Facetime is an entirely new API that Apple won't allow access to... which defeats the whole "Open standard" thing they touted.

17. mjaco002 macrumors member

In my view Apple is just waiting it out. They are testing to see how facetime will be adopted by customers and plus the video chat concept on a phone is new.

I think you would see something from Apple around September time frame regarding an iChat or similar app.