Facetime = WiFi + 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JReynolds, Jun 14, 2010.

1. JReynolds macrumors 6502

I'm deploying in September and I plan on my wife and I both having iPhone 4's.

Currently she's is 38wks pregnant. When I leave my daughter will be around 3 months old.

I won't have cell service over there but I'm sure I'll find wifi. I know facetime says wifi only, but do I have to have cell service to initiate it? Will it work while my iPhone 4 is in airplane mode?

Thanks for the help!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

A question only Apple can answer. We have no details on Facetime yet or how to start it. Sorry.

And Wi-Fi can be turned back on independently.

4. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

You can have wifi and airplane mode on.

5. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

You can turn wifi back on and still have the phone in airplane mode.

6. JReynolds thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright, sounds like I'll just have to wait until the 24th and post again. Thanks tho!

7. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

Yes we do. You can initiate FaceTime during a call, or independent of a call through your contacts list.
    http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/facetime.html
    Let’s say you want to start a video call with your best friend. Just find her entry in your Contacts and tap the FaceTime button. Or maybe you’re already on a voice call with her and you want to switch to video. Just tap the FaceTime button on the Phone screen.

JR, thank you for your service.
    Signs are pointing to being able to start a FaceTime chat through wifi only, independent of cellular service, but we can't be 100% sure until the phone comes out.

8. fuzion macrumors 6502

9. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

It's not real clear that it's independent of a call, it says you can initiate it independently of a call. My impression was that it uses the call for audio and simultaneously routes the video over wifi.

I really hope this works for you, this is the kind of thing Face Time was meant for.

10. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Heh, your situation is like the follow-up to one of the couples in the FaceTime commercial!

Good luck and get home safe, and thank you for your service.

11. JReynolds thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome thank you for posting that.

12. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

You're welcome. But remember, like I said, we can't be 100% sure until the phone comes out.

Hopefully it doesn't need cellular service to initiate.

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I know that, but that is a best guess at best, the real definitive answer is held by Apple at this moment; which is why I refrain from guessing in such a complicated manner.

14. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

That was directed at JR, the person I quoted. According to what it says on Apple's website, that is most likely what we'll see.

15. Slovak macrumors regular

Facetime = WiFi + 3G?

From the promotional videos and Apple's web site specs, to use Facetime you first dial the person as a regular contact from your Contacts. As expected, the call is routed through the operator's cell towers.

To initiate Facetime and use it with the counterparty, both have to be on WiFi. Does that mean the voice and audio will travel through separate channels?

While in the US everyone using Facetime is on AT&T and therefore no minutes are deducted for the call, in other countries the callers will be hit with minute charges while relieving the provider's network of data traffic by providing their own internet routing for the video stream.

Either way, it seems like an awkward solution - hope it doesn't lead to many out of sync calls.

16. fuzion macrumors 6502

I would think if it was 3g for voice and wifi for video there'd be weird out of sync issues... like a badly dubbed movie.

I assume what we will end up seeing is a small transition time while the phone call ends and the facetime audio/video takes over. You can make a facetime call from your contacts without first calling the person on the phone, so it's somewhat safe to assume that voice and video are sent over WiFi during facetime sessions. :)

17. jtara macrumors 65816

Nobody knows.

Lots of people will know next Thursday.

18. Zcott macrumors 68020

Finding the whole thing a bit stupid, really. Myself and the other half live in different countries, so actually calling each other costs a fortune. Video calls over IP would be so much better, but we'd actually have to call each other to do a video call over wifi, which is a bit stupid.

19. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Not if you are trying to set a standard and entice the carriers to endorse and use FaceTime.;) If FaceTime is free and bypasses the carriers then what in it for them except lost revenue?

jtara says it best.

20. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

You can initiate a FaceTime call from the contacts directly using WiFi only. We talked about it in another thread just like this one.

21. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

FaceTime both the audio and video are sent over WiFi. I don't think you actually dial the other person's phone number to initiate the call. I believe it's done over the internet somehow with something similar to iChat where you have a username or handle.

22. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

That is not true. If both of your numbers are iPhone 4 numbers you can initiate a FaceTime call during a voice call or do it straight through your contacts. No set-up required.

23. fuzion macrumors 6502

No you don't.

You initiate a facetime call DIRECTLY from your contact list, that means no phone call prior to facetime.

24. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

....and you have done this and can positively confirm that the cell service isn't used?:D

25. M87 macrumors 65816

What I'm wondering is if it uses any minutes.