Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
We have limited control over our health insofar as genes determine a good part of it. But if we’re totally honest we do have considerable control over our deaths, for those of us willing to take that step.

I’m entering my 60s. I’m in good health, but it’s time to face these issues. I have a pact with my wife - if the health goes south to such a degree that there is no real quality of life left, you throw a “birthday” party (regardless of whether you have a birthday on that date or not :)), and hang onto those helium balloons and use them to stage a discreet exit.

It’s not really a question of not wanting to be a burden onto others (we have no kids) - it’s that you *yourself* don’t want to carry on, if you are so disabled that activities of daily living are impossible, you are in pain etc., you take no pleasure in life anymore and are merely vegetating, not living.

Picking your own exit is more dignified (to our way of thinking - passing no judgment on anyone else’s views, so YMMV).

In other words, there are other options. It does however need the cooperation of a willing partner - in case of sudden incapacitating stroke etc. - that’s why we made a pact to help the other person, whoever needs it.

Of course, if one dies in one’s sleep all the better, but odds are you won’t get so lucky.

The advantage that I see in my personal life is that it gives me peace of mind, and I don’t have to fret “what if I get cancer and am trapped in hell (hospital bed cancer ward), my wife is distraught and gloom everywhere with no relief in sight”.

I find that comforting. We’ll see what happens, but that’s one less thing I want to fret over. YMMV.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
We have limited control over our health insofar as genes determine a good part of it. But if we’re totally honest we do have considerable control over our deaths, for those of us willing to take that step.

I’m entering my 60s. I’m in good health, but it’s time to face these issues. I have a pact with my wife - if the health goes south to such a degree that there is no real quality of life left, you throw a “birthday” party (regardless of whether you have a birthday on that date or not :)), and hang onto those helium balloons and use them to stage a discreet exit.

It’s not really a question of not wanting to be a burden onto others (we have no kids) - it’s that you *yourself* don’t want to carry on, if you are so disabled that activities of daily living are impossible, you are in pain etc., you take no pleasure in life anymore and are merely vegetating, not living.

Picking your own exit is more dignified (to our way of thinking - passing no judgment on anyone else’s views, so YMMV).

In other words, there are other options. It does however need the cooperation of a willing partner - in case of sudden incapacitating stroke etc. - that’s why we made a pact to help the other person, whoever needs it.

Of course, if one dies in one’s sleep all the better, but odds are you won’t get so lucky.

The advantage that I see in my personal life is that it gives me peace of mind, and I don’t have to fret “what if I get cancer and am trapped in hell (hospital bed cancer ward), my wife is distraught and gloom everywhere with no relief in sight”.

I find that comforting. We’ll see what happens, but that’s one less thing I want to fret over. YMMV.

I agree with this as a lucid option for self determination, yet most people seem horrified by the thought of a loved one terminating themselves. I think it is the violence that is typically associated. Drugs would be better, if you could get your hands on them.

I can tell since the event I described in post 1, my Father has been depressed, but we mostly offer encouragement, while I acknowledge there comes a point where encouragement can be hard to come by. My father is not yet at that point, he is mobile, is sharp for 91, but is now burdened a bit, by dragging a supply of O2 around with him. Yet, how long will the status quo remain, is an unknown. Him insisting on living 1000 miles away does not help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.