Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patearrings

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
Hey guys,

I sold an ipad 2 on ebay a couple of weeks ago. Before selling it i factory reset it so it shows the white "hello" screen and asks you to slide to set it up. I didn't test it any further than this.

Today the buyer has been in touch saying they cant get in to the ipad as it requires a passcode and they think it is stolen and are going to contact the police and ebay.

My question is, at what point does a factory resetted (sic) ipad ask for a passcode and does it require the previous passcode that was on it before it was reset?, or doesn't it ask for one at all and you have to set a new one?

I cant for the life of me remember and i dont have any other devices to try it with, but i am pretty sure that once its reset, you don't need a passcode anymore.

I am worried it could be some sort of scam.

Many thanks!

Nobbynobbs

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2018
Ankh Morpork
Did you remove it from your iTunes account and thereby remove the activation lock?

I recently found that although I had reset my old iPad with the passwords etc, bizarrely it still was linked to my iTunes account.

If you have a pc, go to icloud.com and login. Click on Find iPhone and see if it is still showing. If it is you can remove it by clicking the link that says some like I have sold/given away my device.

I am not at a PC at the moment so don’t know the exact wording.

Last edited:

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I think @Newtons Apple is spot on. If the device was removed from iCloud it could be reset. Check your iCloud account to make sure.

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
Isn’t this just another reason why the iPad won’t replace a computer? I run into these seemingly small reasons all the time when trying to stop using my MBP (in hopes of not having to replace MBP when it is non supported)

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Isn’t this just another reason why the iPad won’t replace a computer? I run into these seemingly small reasons all the time when trying to stop using my MBP (in hopes of not having to replace MBP when it is non supported)

1) iPads are computers. iPhone is too. They may not qualify as PCs but nobody claimed that they would.

2) Passcodes and encryption is on the Mac as well, you can even find your Mac via iCloud I believe. I don’t see why this would make a particular negative case for iPad.

Reactions: jdogg836
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.