Fail to carry driver's license violation

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by coolwater, Sep 9, 2010.

1. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Come to think of it, considering today's technology, isn't it time to change this old law?

I am not 100% sure but I'd assume the laptop in the police vehicle can easily verify the driver's legal status and photo with the driver's SSN and address.

When will we see this change?

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

That might work within a single state but once you go out of state no dice I'd think.

It's not that big a deal to carry it with you and I think most states give you a few days to bring it in if you forgot it. Although you might get a ticket I guess.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Not sure we will ever see it go away. What is the big deal about having to carry your driver's license with you when you drive?

4. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

One more responsibility to pass off on someone else. What's ironic is people will carry a cell phone or other electronic device without blinking an eye.

5. coolwater thread starter macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Who says carrying your driver's license is a big deal?? :rolleyes:

I was thinking about one of those unlucky days that simply your wallet is unintentionally or unknowingly left home.

6. coolwater thread starter macrumors 6502a

coolwater

One more comment to bash someone who tries to hear what others think about the topic. :rolleyes:

7. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

That's different. I have been pulled over without a license and the statie was very cooperative.
    Since then I photocopy my license and stick it the booklet with my registration.
    I do this in the event that I lose my wallet in a jetskiing rollover and the cargo door comes open and the contents sink

8. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

I was pulled over, arrested on the spot, and had my bike towed when I forgot my wallet one night. ;)

9. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

It's pretty ancient to have to carry around a drivers license anymore especially with all of the technology we advance. Getting asked to produce a DL is the modern day version of "Can i see your papers?"

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Wow, that is harsh.:eek:

11. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

happened to me once...not fun. the ticket for no license on person cost more than my damn speeding ticket :eek:

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Not really as it is not a right to drive. If you operate a vehicle, be able to provide documentation enabling that privilege or be prepared for the potential consequences. It's a little different than being asked for papers for merely being out and about on foot

But I assume you know that already

13. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Fixed.

14. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

I know its a privilege but it's still strange to ask for documentation. I mean in most big cities there are cameras that scan peoples faces to see maybe if they are on a watch list or have outstanding warrants. Things that at one time required ID to be presented.

So why can't this same technology be used to check the validity of drivers licenses?

15. 184550 Guest

Yet if it was all computerized we'd have people complaining about Big Brother... :rolleyes:

Would you prefer to live in the past or future?

16. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

I guess it's subjective. Which is the lesser of the evil's?

17. 184550 Guest

Personally, I'd rather 'present my papers' than 'present my face'.

18. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

In the UK a lot of police cars are equipped with cameras which check whether a vehicle is taxed, insured, has a valid MOT and the registered driver has a license based on the number plate. All without having to pull the car over.

19. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Agreed. Although I have never been pulled over when I didn't have my wallet (with driver's license), I have driven way too many times without it. It's not a burden to carry your license. It's just that you may sometimes forget it. In those rare occasions, technology should allow you to prove that you are indeed licensed to drive.

20. coolwater thread starter macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Very well said.

21. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

oh please. hardly. how hard is it to carry your id...you already carry a cell phone, and more than likely credit cards and atm cards.

Im all for less gov't intrusion, but carrying Id just makes sense. Say the cops are after someone who resembles you, being able to produce Id on the spot clearly identifies you are you and not the suspect.

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If anything, we'll be required to carry more proof of identity.

Besides the driver's license is the de-facto standard for identification, for alcohol, to opening a bank account. I always need to carry it, even if I'm not driving a car.

23. TruthBeTold macrumors newbie

I completely agree with the second portion of your statement. The driver's license is used for a lot more than when we're driving. It's not a big deal to carry it, but I've found myself plenty of times leaving the house without it.

Eventually, I think there will be a way to make sure your driver's license is valid if you get pulled over and happen to not have it.

Hell I got into a wreck last week. I didn't have my insurance on me. They should have given me a ticket, but they validated it on their computer and let me go scotch free! :)

24. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

References?

25. snberk103 macrumors 603

To turn the question around. How much more in taxes are you willing to spend to buy and maintain the technology to allow people to forget to carry their licences? Remember that adding this ability costs money. As someone who hasn't had to show their licence in, oh... decades at least, to a police officer why should I pay more taxes so you can not carry yours?

I remember a number of years ago reading about Oklahoma issuing driver's licenses to blind people. With the restriction that the person not drive. The initiative was seen as an efficient way to give that demographic an ID that was recognized as the de-facto standard for identifying yourself. I wish more government departments would think outside the box like this. Why create a whole new ID card when you are already set up to issue driver's licenses.