Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ashleykaryl

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
UK
A quick follow up on this. I've reinstalled all the apps and somehow gained a staggering 100 gigs in drive space with the clean install. I tried a restart with the option key pressed to see if the recovery drive would show up and it's still not appearing, although disk utility shows a space of 1.21 gigs listed as other, which may well be the recovery drive.

The only real pain is that for some weird reason Mail is now refusing to read the data that I copied over from Time Machine. The accounts were all set up automatically when I signed into to iCloud, but none of my archived messages are showing up now. It's really perplexing and the first time I've had an issue like this in over 15 years with Mail.

applCore

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Found a solution. Apparently the SSD AHCI card that I had in the computer was causing some kind of issue. After taking it out and plugging the SSD directly into the Mac Pro's onboard SATA controller the firmware update proceeded and the system went on to allow the installation of 10.13!

After the upgrade finished I put the AHCI card back in and everything worked fine as it did in 10.12.6, etc.

Reactions: h9826790

OS-SEX

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2012
For what it's worth, my 2010 Mac Pro has never run as well or as fast as it has since I upgraded to High Sierra. My video card is a GTX 680.

ashleykaryl

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
UK
Found a solution. Apparently the SSD AHCI card that I had in the computer was causing some kind of issue. After taking it out and plugging the SSD directly into the Mac Pro's onboard SATA controller the firmware update proceeded and the system went on to allow the installation of 10.13!

After the upgrade finished I put the AHCI card back in and everything worked fine as it did in 10.12.6, etc.

That's something that should be reported to Apple. I finally seem to have my system sorted out, though I still find it odd that the recovery drive can only be reached by pressing cmd + R, while using a wired keyboard and mouse. My daughter has a new MacBook Pro and I've advised her to wait for a few months, until High Sierra has more time to mature.

applCore

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Good to hear @ashleykaryl and already done. Same here @OS-SEX we are all more than pleased with the performance improvements of High Sierra. I still would like to see Apple replace the kernel with a system with superior memory management (eg, Solaris or Linux or even FBSD itself; or just rewrite that area of the kernel to emulate those or QNX), but this is an improvement I've not seen from Apple for probably close to 10 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.