Fair Trade? XPS M1330 for MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rwskemer, Mar 5, 2008.

  1. rwskemer macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2008
    #1
    I just recently made the switch to Macs, by purchasing a MacBook. I've been trying to sell my Dell XPS M1330 on Craig's List. I just received an interesting offer today, to trade a MacBook Pro for the XPS M1330. I just wanted to know what you all thought of picking up a Mac this way and if it's possible to add AppleCare onto the machine ever though the original owner did not purchase a plan.

    My XPS M1330 listing is: http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/sys/595522728.html
    The MacBookPro for trade listing is: http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/sys/595672344.html

    At first I was rather happy about the proposed trade, as I was planning on purchasing a MBP and passing the MB to my wife, but I was planning on getting the MBP in the Fall, after the expected overhaul of the body and updated features, etc. I've also grown fond of the MacBook's keyboard. I'm just torn, I know by "trading" systems, I'll recover the majority of what I spent on the Dell... I don't know.

    Any suggestions or opinions would very welcome.

    Thanks...
     
  2. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

    brn2ski00

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2007
    #2
    Definitely trade.

    Its a Windows PC versus a Mac PC.... hmmm, tough one! :)
     
  3. aristobrat macrumors G4

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2005
    #3
    Your link to your listing doesn't work, ... looks like it's the link that allows you (the author) to update it, etc.

    The MBP looks like it was the $2499 model from before they were updated last week.

    I'm guessing your Dell didn't cost near that much. This deal sounds almost too good to be true? :eek:
     
  4. rwskemer thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2008
    #4
    I was thinking I'd be better off selling the Dell XPS M1330, taking whatever cash I can make off of it, taking a large loss of course, and then just waiting for the MBP in the Fall...

    I'm assuming the MBP that I would trade for is before the Penryn chips came out...
     
  5. rwskemer thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2008
    #5
    I just editted my link, you may have to refresh your browser. Sorry about that.

    My laptop was $2,200 when I purchased it back in late July, but since had a new one shipped to me that has the 2.4 Penryn in it.

    The MBP is a much better machine obviously, but should I get this knowing the new MBPs are coming in the Fall? I have a MacBook right now... The wife might like going Mac now rather than later. Can I add AppleCare to this machine as well?
     
  6. idonotliketostu macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2008
    #6
    I don't think this is a place to ask, dell vs mac.
    You should find the average price on eBay for both of these and compare =)
     
  7. rwskemer thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2008
    #7
    I think you misunderstand me, I'm not asking what machine is better. I'm asking, should I take the deal and have a pretty loaded machine or sell it for cash and wait for future MBP in the Fall with all the expected additions and enhancements...
     
  8. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2007
    #8
    Seems like a good trade to me. The MBP is better specs-wise than your Dell, and you should be able to sell it for more on ebay.

    As always, just make sure to fully inspect the computer before completing the transaction, to be sure there is no hidden damage.
     
  9. BlueScreenX macrumors member

    BlueScreenX

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2008
    Location:
    San Antonio TX
    #9
    The "new" MBPs are ALWAYS going to be coming out in 6 months. :) The next update likely wont be a huge deal. Get the MBP and sell it when the time comes. Apple products resale for more. (also the MBP version that you would be getting is the same speed(or slightly faster) than the base NEW MBP.....
     
  10. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2007
    #10
    I have a MBP and i also had an XPS m1330 for a couple of weeks as i got it real cheap with some vouchers. I then sold it and got a refurb MB and made £200 profit.

    Im real happy i did sell it but my only negatives with the MB to the XPS are:

    The screen on the XPS M1330 is SO much better.
    The Keyboard on XPS is way better also
    The macbook seems to lag a little re touchpad input/mouse input, but this could be due to the screen refresh, i havent tried it with an external monitor yet to rule it out.

    BTW, did you know the m1330 does actually run leopard quite well, albeit with no sleep working yet, i had to try it while i had it!

    In comparison to a Macbook PRO however ( woops i misread the original mail) The macbook pro screen is still real nice and doesnt really weight an awful lot more in reality if you have the 9cell battery for the m1330.

    I'd GO FOR IT!
     
  11. netdog macrumors 603

    netdog

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #11
    You get much more in value by taking the MBP than you would in selling the Dell to raise cash.
     
  12. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

    Adokimus

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2007
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #12
    I guess I'll be the first one to say it.... be warry of a scammer. Make sure you meet in a public place and check out what you're getting first. And by public place I mean in a mall or coffee shop, not a parking lot where you might get jumped. I've heard a couple of craigslist horror stories, so I'm always a little cautious. Make sure you get a name, phone number, etc. before going forward with the purchase. Right now, honestly, it's a pretty fair trade considering the specs. Your m1330 is pretty maxed out. But, the MBP will hold it's value MUCH better over time. Without going into a Dell vs. Apple debate (which is pointless as I imagine you know what you are getting into with either machine/OS), then I would make the trade assuming his machine works as advertised. If it were me, I would rather sell the Dell for cash and buy a refurb from Apple. My reasoning is that this was a trade suggested by a stranger. And it seems to be a good deal for you. That makes me think there is a hidden factor (maybe a problem with the MBP) that is making the trade favorable to him.

    Whichever you choose, best of luck. Just be cautious on craigslist, just like eBay or anywhere else.

    Peace.
     
  13. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

    Fry-man22

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2007
    #13
    It doesn't matter what you paid for your Dell, the Dell has a lower resale % than a Mac, that's just the way it is. I had an XPS m1710 with all the top spec options (about 4 grand) before I got my MBP and it'd make you cry the amount that drops off from new to resale...

    I'd trade for the Mac immediately even if I was just going to turn right around and sell it; you could sell the Mac for more than the Dell.

    Good luck.
     
  14. rwskemer thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2008
    #14
    Can I still purchase AppleCare on this machine?

    I've read that sometimes you need your receipt to prove ownership. Is this the case? If I go through with this "trade" should I ask for the receipt?
     
  15. aristobrat macrumors G4

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2005
    #15
    I bought my AppleCare from a reputable seller on eBay.

    When you get the box, it tells you to go to a website where you enter in your AppleCare subscription number and the serial number of your machine.

    As long as your machine is less that one year old, there shouldn't be a problem. I didn't need a receipt or anything, but I guess if there ever was a question about how old my machine was, that'd be the ultimate proof. Couldn't hurt to ask the guy if he had one, right?

    Are you going to keep this MBP long term, or sell it when the redesigned one comes out? That'd factor into my decision on whether or not to purchase AppleCare, personally.
     
  16. cobbe1 macrumors member

    cobbe1

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2008
    #16
    Do It!!!!!

    This is too good a deal. Jump on it!

    Make sure to meet at a public place where you get WIFI. In that way you can check the serial number on the MBP too see if it is indeed unregistered with Apple. Better yet, meet at his house (provided it's not in a run down neighborhood), they are less likely to scam you if you know where they live.
     
  17. rwskemer thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2008
    #17
    How do I check if a serial # is registered through Apple?
     
  18. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

    mgargan1

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2003
    Location:
    Reston, VA
    #18
    I would, like people have already said... there's always going to be a new machine coming out... if you need a computer now, get it now. Really does sound like a good deal.

    And, to my knowledge, one can buy applecare and transfer ownership. I would call apple first, to find out the details.
     
  19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

    mkrishnan

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2004
    Location:
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    #19
    Be really careful for this very reason. Agreeing with everyone else, if I were a sensible trader, I would probably consider this deal to be weighted $300-400 or so in your direction (that is, I'd probably trade you the MBP for the XPS plus that much cash). It's not fair, but it's real, for the various reasons discussed (low Dell resale value, frequent Dell discounting, etc).

    That being said, the seller could be legitimate, but I would exercise extreme caution to make sure you don't get scammed....
     
  20. Freyqq macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2004
    #20
    specs are better on the mbp than the dell. You could keep the mbp and sell ur macbook.
     
  21. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #21
    No its not a fair trade~~!! You will get an excellent deal!! Do it before the guy realizes and makes his own thread asking the same questions~!

    Of course make sure to meet up at a local starbucks during the day time and let him check out your dell and you check out his mbp and check the specs of the mbp and play with it for 15 minutes or even 30 min before switching.
     
  22. rwskemer thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2008
    #22
    Just spoke with the seller\trader again. They said they purchased the MacBook Pro sealed, off Craig's List. They apparently have the original packaging.

    Anything I should for while using it for those 15-30 minutes?

    I'm going to ask for the serial number so I can check out the specs. There has to be a site that allows you to check that info...
     
  23. rwskemer thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2008
    #23
    Apparently this guy has now come to his senses and realizes his MBP is worth more than my M1330. He is asking for $400 more in cash. He claims to have an offer of $1700 on the MBP that he would keep unless we can come to a deal. I'm not sure if I should go through with this anymore... The M1330 is literally brand new, Penryn 2.4 over the Memron 2.4, 2 years and 7 months left of service, faster hard drive (7200 RPM). I think paying $400 is too much. Then again, nobody else is offering anything close for my laptop... Ugggh, any suggestions give this new info?
     
  24. Ryox macrumors 6502a

    Ryox

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2007
    Location:
    UK
    #24
    How much are you being offered on your M1330?
     
  25. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2007
    #25
    DEFINTELY PAY THE $400 EXTRA! This MacBook Pro that you are thinking of trading is WAY BETTER than the Dell you have. He probably just realized how dumb he was because he could sell it for a lot. So I say it's worth the $400 extra. Come on, it's a MAC!
     

Share This Page