Faith in people restored

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iTurbo, May 27, 2019.

1. iTurbo macrumors 6502

Wow, where to begin. I'll start from the beginning. I had ordered new wheels and tires for my car project. New Enkei wheels and Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires; so not cheap. It turns out both wheels and tires were going to be delivered the same day. I was at work and missed the UPS delivery guy by 10 minutes!!

So I get home and check the tracking numbers. Everything was supposedly delivered at 11:55 AM and I got home for lunch at 12:05. They were delivered to "back door", and signed by "driver release" (whatever that means). Except nothing was there! I have a lot of money spent on this so I am really really worried at this point about porch pirates or maybe the UPS driver just fudged things...

Well, today my fears were alleviated. My neighbor a block away personally delivered my new wheels and tires! They were delivered to the wrong address one block away. He could have easily sold them online and probably gotten away with it. Apparently he is looking for a job and I told him to apply where I work. We need 1 more person to complete our team. This guy displayed honesty and doing what is right and that goes a long way.

I have some pull as far as hiring and this guy is a good bet!

2. Ruggy macrumors regular

Good for you. Probably a better 'interview' than the usual stupid questions like, 'Why do you want to work at this company?'. You got to know the real person.
    Glad you had a good outcome.

3. HEALER FLAME macrumors 6502

HEALER FLAME

Well, a while ago my local supermarket credited my credit card $78 extra by mistake as they were trying to fix an error.

Next day i noticed the mistake, went to the store and asked for the manager and explained to her the error. The manager was in tears for my honesty and couldn't believe it. Her shock really surprised me.

4. iTurbo thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome! I would have done the same.

Let's keep this going. It's real life.
    --- Post Merged, May 27, 2019 ---
    If you think about it for just a second.....what you did was far more valuable than $78.

5. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

6. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I’m surprised they were not shipped signature required for something expensive like this.

In the last month, I had ordered an updated Apple TV. We have several group mailboxes in the neighborhood, 9 individual boxes all with keys, (residents each have their own personal key for their box) with a single large keyed box for larger packages. When a package arrives, you can observe that the key is out of the larger box, and the mailman/woman places that key in the smaller box of the person whom the package is intended for.

The day my package was announced to arrive, I went to the mailbox and saw the key was out of the package box, but my excitement was dampened when it was not in my personal mail box. Sometimes we get packages delivered to our door. So at that point, I had no idea what happened to it and started a claim with the vendor (Walmart marketplace).

Well, 9 days later, a box containing my Apple TV appears on my doorstep, with my name and address on the box. I can only assume the mail person put the package box key into the wrong personal box. Whoever the recipient was, took their time returning it to me. I might question 9 days later. ;)

But I have seen other acts of honesty, like when I left my iPhone in the shopping cart, in the parking lot of the grocery store and when I returned in a panic, I found it at customer service. A customer of the store, saw it and took it inside.

7. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

I've noticed Amazon drivers are starting to take photos of the package on the doorstep, I assume to prove that it was delivered.

UPS/FedEx should do the same. I've had a couple of instances where the driver claimed that they made a delivery attempt at a certain time, yet I was home and my doorbell camera shows that nobody ever showed up. It's a straight up lie.

8. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

But a photo doesn’t prove someone didn’t steal it before you got home.

9. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Then this would boil down to, is the shipper responsible for items stolen off the front porch? I know that some companies like Apple for their hardware require a signature during delivery. The vast majority of my shipped are items delivered without a signature. But for expensive items phone, computer, TV, if I am liable, I’d want a signature.

10. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

Yes, but it is still a big improvement in information. With GPS tagging, it proves that the package was delivered, and where and when it was delivered. It proves Amazon did their part. Their driver didn't steal it, or deliver it somewhere else, or fail to deliver it at all.

I assume this is the first step in no longer providing refunds for stolen goods.

No, they aren't responsible.

Something like this might be another solution:
    https://www.getboxlock.com/

...but reviews show that carrier acceptance is spotty, and without carrier acceptance it is fairly useless.

11. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

I think this is the key sentence here. Obviously an aggressive drunk!