Fake dead pixel

Discussion in 'iMac' started by next, Nov 25, 2012.

1. next macrumors newbie

Hi all, i'd like to comment this with you maybe you have any suggestions:

I suddenly found a dead pixel on my screen which i just realized is fake! How can this be possible?? Let me tell you about it.

I'm the creator of imaclines.blogspot.com. To those who don't know, early 2006 imacs had manufacturing problems on the screen panels on certain iMac models.

Until they agreed to repair my mac, vertical dead pixel lines were multiplying on my screen rendering it useless one at a time. Apple eventually agreed to repair my mac free of charge, but i had already bought a 2nd display. They repaired it by 2008 and it worked great until a couple of months ago when I found a dead pixel on my screen.

My setup is like this:

iMac on the left + 2º monitor on the right acting as the main screen (since it's bigger).

So this is how i realized it's a fake dead pixel!

1) It shines ok during boot.
    2) It's definitely not dead on Windows through bootcamp
    3) Black filling of the mouse pointer turns it off (however placing a 100% black image behind it doesn't).
    4) It shows if I make a screen capture!

What happens if I align different my 2 screens? The dead pixel moves! yes, it changes position.

So i'm having difficulties to fix this. I tried cmd+opt+p+r, i tried OnyX... and none worked.

What's making this pixel show in such an odd position??

Thanx!

2. Ppq macrumors newbie

I would clone the screen onto 2nd screen an put it in front of iMac. Solved.

3. next thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, and it's even easier to put the mac on the right and the 2nd screen on its left, but that's my last resort if i can't find a solution leaving everything as is.

it doesn't kill me (i was even getting used to the vertical lines 4 years ago) but it could certainly go away :)

4. ifraaank macrumors regular

ifraaank

Please make a screen capture then! :D Seems odd...

5. brand macrumors 601

brand

Perhaps you don't know the definition of dead. It is either a dead pixel or it is not a dead pixel. You just thought that the pixel was playin' possum?

Dead or stuck pixels do not show up on screen captures.

6. pubjoe macrumors 6502

Er I think that's why he's asking about it and called it a "fake" dead pixel. He said it looks like a dead pixel but it can't be due to those tests.

It does sound strange. I guess the LCD is fine but the graphics card is rendering it for some reason. Where is it? On the desktop or menu item? Perhaps the speck is included on the image file due to file corruption? A screenshot would help. Attach one of your screen capture images that show it.

7. next thread starter macrumors newbie

here are a few attachments

1a my alignment properties
    1b screen cap on this alignment

2a changed alignment
    2b screencap shows "fake dead pixel" moves

3 how my screens align on my desk

Attached Files:

8. next thread starter macrumors newbie

(continue)

4 booting, no dead pixel

5 finished booting, still thinking

6 finished loading, dead pixel appears

7 dead pixel turns to black when arrow is over it (but not when a black image is placed behind)

Attached Files:

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

As brand said, dead pixels shouldn't show up in your screencaps as the video card thinks it displayed it correctly. Since whatever this is shows up in some screencaps, it must be some oddity of the video driver or other software/firmware.

Can you close all running apps. Does it still appear?

B

10. next thread starter macrumors newbie

i know it's not a dead pixel, it just looks like one and it acts like one, only that it isn't... ha! that's why i called it a fake dead pixel.

Once the system fully loaded, it's there forever. Whether I open thousands of apps (which i wouldn't try on an early 2006 mac -- (core duo, 1gb ram) or no apps

11. hughcanbefound, Nov 25, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2012

hughcanbefound macrumors newbie

hughcanbefound

Hi OP,

I had this exact same problem, and the Geniuses I spoke to at my local Store weren't much help. I diagnosed it but have completely forgotten the reason behind it or how I fixed in permanently.

The pixel will also disappear when you do Exposé, right?

Try Force Quitting System UI Server and letting it restart. Any change? Try logging into a Guest account. Still there?

Hope that's of some help.

EDIT: Btw, it was in exactly the same position on my external display.

EDIT 2: Also, it was using a MacBook Pro. It's 100% a software issue. Pretty sure it disappeared when I upgraded to 10.8.

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That's why I'm suspicious of some piece of software that may be creating a stray 1x1 px windows or something like that that looks like a stuck pixel in the grand scheme of things.

My 2006 iMac occasionally does strange stuff with the video card when it is cold booted in the cold, but otherwise is going strong.

B

13. next thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have guest accounts active, but the moment i closed my user session and it prompted for my pass, the pixel went off. Now that i'm back it's right there.

It's in some system layer (lower than the pointer) and higher than icons & dragged icons and windows.

14. hughcanbefound macrumors newbie

hughcanbefound

What third party menubar items do you have running? And did you try force quitting SystemUIServer as a whole?

15. next thread starter macrumors newbie

i'm on snow leopard, that's as many updates as it can deal with. Lion and mountain lion require 64bit processors

----------

only program that boots with my mac is smc fan control to speed my fans. it's noisier but summers in Spain are extremely hot

Force quitted SystemUIServer and nothing changed, sadly

16. next thread starter macrumors newbie

i activated guest accounts and can confirm the dead pixel doesn't appear there... now what? :confused:

17. mchoffa macrumors 6502a

I'd make a new account, make it admin, copy your stuff over there, then remove the first account

18. SR20DETDOG macrumors regular

I can't be of much help sorry, but I just thought I would chime in as I had the same problem with a "fake" stuck pixel.

It was a single white pixel on my 2nd display that went away when I put the mouse over it and was also in the exact same position as yours. However, I seem to be lucky and mine fixed itself some how, I don't see it anymore at least.

19. Lucianrider macrumors member

Sounds like a plan to me!!! A hell of a lot easier than trying to chase an itinerant pixel around the screen.. LOL!:D

20. tuxedobyrd macrumors newbie

21. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

Dead pixel ?

Attached Files: