Fallout 3 and Crysis

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by CheeseIsGood, Dec 7, 2008.

1. CheeseIsGood macrumors newbie

Hi, I was wondering how well Fallout 3 and Crysis (if possible) would run and how well it would run on the newest mbp. It has the following:
    2.8GHz Intel Core Duo
    320GB at 7200rpm
    4GB DDR3 SDRAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB
    Feel free to ask if you need to know more. If they work, I would just have to buy a version of windows (Vista or XP right?), install it using bootcamp ( I don't know too much about that, but it can't be too hard...), then install the game while running windows right? Sorry, I'm pretty knew new to this whole whole kind of thing. I'm using an original G5 on 10.3 right now that can barley run WC3 by the way. Thanks for reading! (Sorry!!!! I'm sure this has been asked many times before!!)

2. Skonix macrumors newbie

Your good to go!

The new MBPs run Fallout 3 REALLY well, and Crysis should run ok.

Fallout 3 on the new MBP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GBWPfft3NY

Crysis on a Macbook Pro http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXlejyKD1_Y

I'm not entirely sure of the specs on the computer in the Crysis video but from the performance I believe its a high end previous model, 4 gigs ram, 8600gt 512...etc.

My question is how would fallout 3 run on a previous Gen Macbook Pro with 2 gigs of Ram, 256mb 8600gt, and running windows xp on bootcamp?

3. CheeseIsGood thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Skonix! You're now my favorite person on this board! (1st person to reply to my 1st thread). Sadly, I have another question. How big of a difference would the 2.8Ghz processor be compared to the 2.53 or 2.4? The only difference I know of right now is that it costs about 180$ more. I'm not very tech savvy to be honest.

4. Skonix macrumors newbie

Likewise!

That was my first post as well, and to be honest my first post was going to ask almost the same exact question about Fallout 3 on a MBP.
    I really want to know if its worth getting for my own macbook which is previous model at 2.4GHz, 2gigs ram, and the 8600gt 256mb card. I think it will run alright, I'm hoping on medium settings.

As far as the GHz go, if you plan on running games, the faster the better. Not much of a difference between the 2.4 and the 2.5 GHz, so personally if you don't get the 2.8 GHz, save yourself some extra dough and just get the 2.4 GHz.

Also, in order to keep things cool for games or other graphic intensive macbook programs, get a fan to put underneath it. I got one for for 20 bucks somewhere, can't remember, but they work wonders in keeping the MBP cool.
    http://www.officemax.com/omax/catalog/sku.jsp?skuId=20796523&searchString=laptop%20cooler&category_Id=null

5. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

F3 runs well on my hardware (see sig). Crysis runs acceptably for solo play. I've not tried any multiplayer with it.

6. cg165 macrumors regular

Here are my settings for crysis which run as smooth as it's going to get on this machine probably:

Here are the crysis settings that I just used which worked great for me. I'm using vista ultimate 64 bit and played on directx 10.

Resolution: 1280x720
    AA: off
    Full screen

Texture: High
    Objects: Medium
    Shadows: Medium
    Physics: High
    Shaders: Medium

Volumetrics effects: Medium
    Game effects: High
    Post Proc: High
    Particles: High
    Water: Very High
    Sound: Very High

Crysis runs alright, but even the best machine have a hard time running that game. I can't answer you about the rest, but I do have the 2.53ghz with 4gb ram, 320gb 7200 rpm hard drive and it's fast for everything.

I just got far cry 2 which looks and runs great on here. I've got the top 3 settings set to very high and the rest set to high in directx 9 with an average of 30 fps or so (also in native res 1440x900). It's actually pretty smooth even with lots of explosions. The orange box I can run at native resolution, everything high, vsync on, 2x AA, and 2x AF and it runs very smooth. I hope that helps. I recommend the 2.53ghz unless you really need that extra cpu speed. Get the faster hard drive too if you plan on running games.

Oh, I recommend vista 64 bit. I've got vista ultimate, but you can get home premium which is supposed to be good. I got the OEM version to save money which means it's tied to this machine only for life. You install it through bootcamp which is easy by the way...I never did it before but had no problems. Uninstall the bootcamp video drivers and get the latest www.laptopvideo2go.com drivers with the modified inf file also.

7. Skonix macrumors newbie

Awesome

Now I'm psyched that F3 will run well on a previous model, although I saw you have 4gigs of ram, and I've been thinking about upgrading myself, so I'll probably end up doing that. Does anyone know if the 4 gig DDR3 Memory from MacSales.com is a good way to go?

8. cg165 macrumors regular

9. CheeseIsGood thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank You!

Thanks everyone who has responded! I don't know if I will be getting Crysis, but I can get a good idea on how well a computer can run games from how well Crysis would run on it. I figure that if it can run these games, it should have no problem with Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 when they come out right? I plan on playing those games for years.

10. el.gringo macrumors newbie

just wanted to add my $0.02:

I have the exact setup you described (2.8/4/320@7200) and can basically confirm what people have said in the past: Fallout 3 runs great, and crysis runs pretty well for single player (haven't tried out multiplayer yet). i am running XP Pro SP3 via Boot Camp with the latest drivers.

11. Supaklaw macrumors regular

Fallout 3 isn't much of a memory or processor hog. Crysis is.