Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MatthewAMEL

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
Orlando, FL
Anyone running FO3 or NV on a Sandy Bridge MBP?

I get smooth framerates on my i7 iMac and I'm about to replace my C2D 2.33 with a 2.3 (Sandy Bridge) and wondering what to expect from the Gamebryo engine.

Thanks all.

deadwulfe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
Saw your question and decided to load up NV again. I'm running this on the ATI 6750 GPU with the 2.2 Sandy Bridge. The game auto-detected my settings and set it at high, with AA at 4 and AF at 8, but kept resolution at 1280x800. I changed it to native 1440x900. In the game, I played with the actor/item/object fade distances I moved them on full distance. I also changed the distance for the other default items that were less than half to half. There can be a bit of a stutter when traveling through the world with the distances extended so far. I may play with my settings the next time I decide to actually play through another character.

Moving around in Novac with the doctor, the mercs, and the brahmin in view, I was getting between 45-60 fps (v-sync is on so 60 would be my max). Then I decided to start launching grenades at people, figuring the explosions would cause some dips and sure enough, they did. Lowest dip in fps I saw was down to 35 fps.

Running around slicing the NCR troopers at Camp Golf really showed a slowdown. Between the building, tents, and surrounding troopers and rangers the GPU showed slowing like it does when launching a bunch of grenades. Most of the time fps floated between 35-45 during action moments and even went as low as 30.

Killing everyone at the 188 Trading post with just guns showed better performance. I don't think fps dropped below 50 and most of the time when I looked, it was at 60. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.