family pack

el_grapadora

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2004
USA
Ok, kind of a stupid question, but here goes...

So the family's thinking about getting a family pack for Tiger...'cept that I don't live at home any more, and I don't want to get into some weird situation for having a different address or something. Anyone have the Panther family pack? Do they control for the household or something?

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
el_grapadora said:
Ok, kind of a stupid question, but here goes...

So the family's thinking about getting a family pack for Tiger...'cept that I don't live at home any more, and I don't want to get into some weird situation for having a different address or something. Anyone have the Panther family pack? Do they control for the household or something?
From my understanding, when you buy a family pack, it comes with 5 CD's and 5 CD keys. You wouldn't need to live in the same house hold. What if I lived in a Duplex, and my mom and dad and sister lived on one side, and me and my brother on another side that's 2 different addresses, so would they come after us? I don't think so. I know you think its a stupid question, but I see Microsoft heading in that direction for making it SAME household. I think that was a good question, sorry if it sounds like my words are forming a duh, I don't know how else to phrase it. GL with that.

stuckwithme247

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2003
slooksterPSV said:
From my understanding, when you buy a family pack, it comes with 5 CD's and 5 CD keys. You wouldn't need to live in the same house hold. What if I lived in a Duplex, and my mom and dad and sister lived on one side, and me and my brother on another side that's 2 different addresses, so would they come after us? I don't think so. I know you think its a stupid question, but I see Microsoft heading in that direction for making it SAME household. I think that was a good question, sorry if it sounds like my words are forming a duh, I don't know how else to phrase it. GL with that.
Tiger requires a cd key?

el_grapadora

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2004
USA
Yeah, that's actually why I asked...I switched a little over a year ago, and I got used to XP's ridiculous activation process. I'm not all crazy about it being an invasion of my privacy or anything...I just think it's a pain in the neck.

Thanks for the reply, though.

Poeben

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2004
I think it is odd that Apple doesn't offer an education discount on the family pack. The edu price for the single license is $69. The family pack can be had from amazon for $149 after rebate. What gives? Also, the single license from amazon goes for $95 after rebate.

Guess amazon will be getting my order soon, as I have 3 macs.

tdhurst

macrumors 601
Dec 27, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah....

Poeben said:
I think it is odd that Apple doesn't offer an education discount on the family pack. The edu price for the single license is $69. The family pack can be had from amazon for $149 after rebate. What gives? Also, the single license from amazon goes for $95 after rebate.

Guess amazon will be getting my order soon, as I have 3 macs.
Yeah, I'm sure Apple is pretty mad about that...

You know that ANY Apple product is made by Apple...so any third parties that give discounts are only cutting into THEIR profit as they bought the stuff from Apple at a set price.

I remember a guy at an Apple store once REFUSED to purchase an iPod from the retail store because they did not offer the same free, cheap ass speakers that best buy did (they were like $20). He was a teacher who wanted to use his edu discount (which best buy did not offer) AND he wanted me to throw in a set of comparable speakers for free. I haggled with the guy for a while (you really think Apple sells cheap ass 2.1 speakers?) before he gave up, went to best buy and then came back telling me and my manager we had lost a sale.

It was great though...my manager simply asked what he bought (20 gig iPod at full retail price and the free cheap ass speakers) and thanked him for supporting the company. The BEST thing was...he came BACK two weeks later looking for new speakers because his free ones didn't have much bass (2.1...with no bass? who woulda thunk it?)

Sorry for the rant...Apple really doesn't care where you buy it, as long as you buy it.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I'm very happy that Apple offers the family pack, it's a good deal. Its called "Family Pack," thereby should be for a family. In our modern world there are many reasons for a family not always being under the same roof.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
From what I've heard, Tiger requires activation. When someone gets it on the 29th, let us know weather or not it requires Activation or not. I've just heard that it does require activation.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
I'm almost positive that Tiger does not require activation but I think it will have some form of security checker thing... maybe not - theres Archive and Install stuff like that and Apple, being smart, did not put activation so a user would not have to call them up just to use a computer (i.e., Microsoft)

The only real app that requires activation is Adobe CS2, one of the reasons a lot of people are not getting CS2 (also because it may not be such a big upgrade)

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
dotdotdot said:
I'm almost positive that Tiger does not require activation but I think it will have some form of security checker thing...
THis is from apple's website under the tiger upgrade section (step 6) link
After registering your copy of Tiger, you can start enjoying your new operating system. Spotlight search, cool Dashboard widgets, Safari RSS and over 200 more new features await.
WHo knows what that regsitering means, we will know in 13 days

appleretailguy said:
you really think Apple sells cheap ass 2.1 speakers?
This from a company that sells socks for $30 :eek: ;)

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
wdlove said:
I'm very happy that Apple offers the family pack, it's a good deal. Its called "Family Pack," thereby should be for a family. In our modern world there are many reasons for a family not always being under the same roof.
Except that Apple specifically defines the family pack as being for up to 5 computers that are under one roof being used by people resident at that address. It specifically excludes students in the same family if they live at school, and any type of business or office use.

Doesn't matter what anybody else thinks "family" should mean.

Apple:
"Family Pack Software License Agreement allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on up to a maximum of five (5) Apple-labeled computers at a time as long as those computers are located in the same household and used by persons who occupy that same household. By "household" we mean a person or persons sharing the same housing unit such as a home, apartment, mobile home or condominium. This license does not extend to students who reside at a separate on-campus location or to business or commercial users."

stoid

macrumors 601
If 'registration' means the same thing as is has for previous versions of Mac OS X, it's a simple (and optional) uplink to Apple so that they have a record of installations.

And SlooksterPSV, I am so dead certain that Tiger absolutely positively will NOT require activation that if it does, I will PayPal you $5. There are no CD-keys, serial numbers, activations, or even required registration (gives you the option to skip that step) in the Mac OS. Apple makes profit primarily on hardware, and uses software sales to push their hardware. Hence they don't put too much effort into making their apps theft deterrent.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
So if I install the family pack on my laptop then take it out of the house will Apple come after me. :rolleyes:

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68030
May 18, 2004
slooksterPSV said:
EDIT: So I wasn't losing, it, I was right, they do require activation.
where did you get this information?

I called the Apple store and asked....they said that it doesn't require activation of any sort.....the guy swore he was absolutley positively certain it doesn't require activation so if you have a source for your information, it would be interesting to know?

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/

Last step - step 6, read it

EDIT: AND I QUOTE
Apple.com said:

See how simple the installation process really is:

First, insert your Mac OS X disc and double-click the Install Mac OS X icon, then click Restart. The Installer opens automatically when your computer restarts. Next...

Select the language you want to use, then read the Welcome page to learn about system requirements and other information you may need to know before installing. Next...

Select the volume where you want to install Tiger and choose what kind of installation you want: Upgrade, Archive and Install, or Erase and Install. Next...

Now you can choose an Easy Install, which is recommended for most people, or a Custom Install, which lets you install additional software on the disc like fonts and printer drivers. Next...

You’re in the home stretch. After the installation, your Mac will reboot automatically and you’ll see another Welcome page. Next...

After registering your copy of Tiger, you can start enjoying your new operating system. Spotlight search, cool Dashboard widgets, Safari RSS and over 200 more new features await.

Copyright © 2005 Apple Computer, Inc. All rights reserved.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Registering is not the same as activation... :rolleyes:

All versions of Mac OS (at least since 7.1) has had some sort of registration, but this has always been voluntary, and if you choose not to register (or register as Donald Duck) Mac OS has always worked just fine...
Well it's still registering. I know its not activation, but you have to register to activate it so you can use it. I've been through panther install 4 times, jaguar install 3 times, OS 7.5.3 install 5 times (OS 7.5.3 didn't require registration), OS 9 install 4 times (OS 9 didn't require registration). - Maybe you are right though, I could have bypassed them... don't remember all too well now.

sjpetry

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2004
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
slooksterPSV said:
Well it's still registering. I know its not activation, but you have to register to activate it so you can use it. I've been through panther install 4 times, jaguar install 3 times, OS 7.5.3 install 5 times (OS 7.5.3 didn't require registration), OS 9 install 4 times (OS 9 didn't require registration). - Maybe you are right though, I could have bypassed them... don't remember all too well now.
Nice way to backtrack. ;)