Family relationship question

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by puma1552, Oct 12, 2016.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

Quick question about a family relationship - what is the relationship to me of someone who is my dad's mom's sister's (basically my dad's aunt's) grandson?

1st cousin? 2nd cousin? Something else?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

I'm not sure, but I do know that being your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate would make us absolutely nothing.

3. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

I believe they're your second cousin, once removed.

Like the child of your Dad's Aunt is his 1st cousin, their child (his Aunt's grandchild) is his second cousin, so it's the same relationship position, 2nd, but once removed (since it's not a direct relationship).

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Second cousins.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 12, 2016 ---
    No.

The lines in the relationship on both sides are consistent; there are three generations in both.

The lady is the OP's grand-aunt, therefore her kids and his father would be first cousins. Thus, her grandkids and the OP - who is his father's offspring - are second cousins.

5. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

So what is his Dad to the Grandson?

Mom - Sister
    Dad Child (1st cousins to dad, right?)
    Puma GS

I saw someone post this on a genealogy board:

Oh are they the once removed, i.e., Dad to GS?

This has always baffled me with cousins :D

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The initial question asked was what is the relationship between the OP to the grandchildren of the sister of his father's mother, - i.e. - what was the relationship of the OP to the children of his father's aunt? They are second cousins.

Yours is a different question. His dad is a first cousin once removed to the grandchildren of his aunt.

7. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Clearly, I'm aware of the original question, and that my inquiry was different. I was simply asking for an additional clarification.

8. Huntn, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The correct answer: She is your Great Aunt, you are her great nephew. :)

Your father's/mother's sister is you aunt (you are the nephew), you grand mother's sister is your great aunt, making you her great nephew. You would be cousins with your aunts and great aunts kids.

9. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks guys, looks like second cousins it is. Was wondering as there is a funeral to be had, and I was trying to figure out the relationship to see if I can get bereavement leave at work, but it does not appear to be the case.

Thanks everyone.

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

11. Huntn, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Not picking fights here, but that's incorrect, unless terms are defined differently in Europe, she would be your great (or grand) aunt and you would be her great nephew, You are not cousins. Cousins would be the children of you aunt, uncle, great aunt, or great uncle. Each generation away from you adds a number. So my aunt's children are my first cousins, but their kids would be my second cousins. Look at the chart in post #4.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nephew_and_niece

http://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/2013/10/25/great-and-grand-aunts/

Edit: it seems like I over looked a word in the original post...grandson. Oops. Apologies. :oops:

12. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

13. Roller macrumors 68020

While the term "removed" may be correct genealogically, I've never heard anyone use it in an introduction. Having said that, I have a few relatives, not cousins, that I wish were further removed.

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

It is rarely used in conversations, or, as you say, when introductions are made.

Rather, on those occasions, you are much more likely to introduce someone as 'a cousin', 'some sort of a cousin', 'a cousin on my dad's side' or something similar. Or even - 'a distant cousin'.

The term 'removed' is usually used when chatting to kids, friends, or family to explain the exact nature of the relationship in question.

This is because a relationship that is described as 'removed' involves an explanation for the separation - or severance - of the links - because they are in a somewhat different place than expected - in the more standard version of the kind of vertical/horizontal tree which usually describes the intersecting links in family relationships.

15. BernyMac macrumors regular

BernyMac

Ah yeah, you need to change the combination to your luggage!

16. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Sorry for your loss.