Family Vacations

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
Looking for ideas for a shared family vacation for my wife, my three kids (15,11,8) and my brothers family (two kids, 13 &11). Cruises are out. Hawaii is too expensive. Some place warm in the USA (we are in NJ, he is in Georgia). Trying to keep costs down but we want to stay someplace nice. Where have you gone that you would recommend, maybe some hidden gem of a beach town.....We will be traveling in June 2019.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
What are you looking at for entertainment? Or are you just looking for a nice quiet relaxing time with some dining options? Or would you like to cook your own food? Regardless, I'd suggest a house rental in the Outer Banks of North Carolina. If you want a more crowded and touristy place Nags Head and Kitty Hawk at the north end are nice. They have stores and theatres and lots of tourist activities, as well as nice beaches.

If you're looking for a more relaxing time and not a ton of tourists, I'd suggest heading down the Outer Banks to Avon, Rodanthe, or even Buxton. These are smaller towns with less crowded beaches. There are some really good restaurants there (Nino's Pizza in Avon is great!). There are a couple of grocery stores if you want to cook at home. House rentals are a good deal and cost less than a decent hotel in other places.

Edit: Take a look here for some places down island.

http://www.hatterasrealty.com/

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac'nCheese

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Looking for ideas for a shared family vacation for my wife, my three kids (15,11,8) and my brothers family (two kids, 13 &11). Cruises are out. Hawaii is too expensive. Some place warm in the USA (we are in NJ, he is in Georgia). Trying to keep costs down but we want to stay someplace nice. Where have you gone that you would recommend, maybe some hidden gem of a beach town.....We will be traveling in June 2019.
Has anyone any specific interests? What about your wife? Is there anything in particular that she would like to do or see?

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
What are you looking at for entertainment? Or are you just looking for a nice quiet relaxing time with some dining options? Or would you like to cook your own food? Regardless, I'd suggest a house rental in the Outer Banks of North Carolina. If you want a more crowded and touristy place Nags Head and Kitty Hawk at the north end are nice. They have stores and theatres and lots of tourist activities, as well as nice beaches.

If you're looking for a more relaxing time and not a ton of tourists, I'd suggest heading down the Outer Banks to Avon, Rodanthe, or even Buxton. These are smaller towns with less crowded beaches. There are some really good restaurants there (Nino's Pizza in Avon is great!). There are a couple of grocery stores if you want to cook at home. House rentals are a good deal and cost less than a decent hotel in other places.

Edit: Take a look here for some places down island.

http://www.hatterasrealty.com/
We did the Outer Banks two years ago it was fun. We are looking for a place to relax but not just chill on a beach all the time. We want to do something, see something, just not sure what.

Would you consider crossing the border and heading south? The Caribbean coast of Mexico is beautiful, especially if any of you do water sports.
I'll check that out but I think we are trying to stay in the 48 states,

Has anyone any specific interests? What about your wife? Is there anything in particular that she would like to do or see?
My daughter and I are more adventurous than my wife and sons. I want to do something new.....I just am finding it hard to figure out what that is!

Reactions: SoggyCheese

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
My daughter and I are more adventurous than my wife and sons. I want to do something new.....I just am finding it hard to figure out what that is!
Just ensure that it is something (or someplace) your wife likes, as well. Holidays as work, or an endurance test, are no fun for people who don't much care for that.

Or, split up for a few days; why not take a few days with your daughter and bond together?

nospleen

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
What about San Antonio? You could go to Fiesta Texas (Six Flags), Sea World, and even mix in some history and visit the Alamo, Riverwalk, and the missions .They have a nice Hyatt resort with a water park, lazy river, golf course, etc...

Many small towns around SA too where you can ride horses, camp, etc...

Then you could drive to South Padre for a few days of a nice beach.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
What kind of distance limits do you have, are you driving or is flying an option? When you say someplace nice, do you mean upscale? Looking for resort action, theme parks, or low key?

We’ve spent several enjoyable vacations in the Black Hills of South Dakota in the vicinity of the Big Heads as my Grandson used to call them. :)

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
Just ensure that it is something (or someplace) your wife likes, as well. Holidays as work, or an endurance test, are no fun for people who don't much care for that.

Or, split up for a few days; why not take a few days with your daughter and bond together?
I think I want to take my daughter to Vegas just to do the cool zip lining; jumping off buildings etc rides they have there.
What about San Antonio? You could go to Fiesta Texas (Six Flags), Sea World, and even mix in some history and visit the Alamo, Riverwalk, and the missions .They have a nice Hyatt resort with a water park, lazy river, golf course, etc...

Many small towns around SA too where you can ride horses, camp, etc...

Then you could drive to South Padre for a few days of a nice beach.
That’s a great idea. My wife loves history and me and the kids love water parks and rides. I will def look into that.
What kind of distance limits do you have, are you driving or is flying an option? When you say someplace nice, do you mean upscale? Looking for resort action, theme parks, or low key?

We’ve spent several enjoyable vacations in the Black Hills of South Dakota in the vicinity of the Big Heads as my Grandson used to call them. :)
Oh no not upscale. I think the post I quoted above nails it. Some beach relaxing some theme parks. That sounds like the best mix. Flying is almost def gonna happen. We are in NJ And my brothers family will join us from GA

Reactions: Huntn

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Paddleboarding in gator rich waters.
No.

Just, no.

My parents had different, but also intersecting, needs and preferences on holiday.

In their earlier times abroad together, my father wanted sea and sun; my mother sun and culture/history. So, their holidays, ended up taking place in countries such as Greece, Italy, and Turkey where they had sun, sea and culture/history.

They would split up during the day; he to the beach, to sun-bathe and swim, and stroll around, look at some shops, maybe have a beer, she on historical and cultural tours.

They both said to me, that while other couples might have thought they were not on speaking terms, - as they didn't always hang around together during the day - they had plenty of stuff to talk about and tell one another about in the evening which brought a freshness to their time together.

Others were constantly amazed at how much space (and respect) they gave one another, - at home as well - but they both said that space - and respecting each other's interests - was one of the reasons their marriage and relationship worked so well.

Last edited: