FAN accounts and buying iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by weezite, Jun 5, 2010.

1. weezite macrumors regular

Hey guys, I just have a quick question about buying an iPhone with a FAN account. I have a student discount FAN applied to my account. When I bought my iPhone 3G at the Apple store, this caused a problem. I had to call up ATT and remove the FAN before I could buy my phone. Does anyone know if that's still the case when buying iPhones? Thanks for your time.

2. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

You can sign up / buy the phone as a normal Joe and than go to the ATT site and have them mail you a link to activate your FAN. That's what I'm going to do for my work FAN. So long as your school email address is legitimate they'll send a special link to your addie - click it, sign up, and you're good to go. I'm not sure if the educational link area is diff't from the business link area though.

3. cobie454 macrumors regular

cobie454

The same thing happened to me when I bought my 3G, the Apple worker called AT&T and they cancelled it but I had to call back when I got the phone and get them to apply it back to my account, I don't know if that's still the case though, I would like to hope not cuz its a hassle and is really unnecessary

4. elephunkman macrumors 65816

It's not a problem anymore. My account has the student fan discount, but when I upgraded one of my lines to a 3GS, it didn't cause any trouble.

5. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Also make sure that you have the FAN account activated ASAP. If you try to activate it later on down the road, they require you sign another two-year contract at the time of activation.

6. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Where did you hear this at? My FAN account was set up later and I did not have to sign a 2 year contract in order to set it up. The only thing that requires a contract, is when you purchase a phone at the discounted price.

7. Raska macrumors 6502

The FAN discount can be applied at any time on your account as long as you are eligible. I'm not exactly sure how it will work with the new iPhone if you have to upgrade at an AT&T store or if an Apple Store can retain the FAN as well (I've seen conflicting information) but at present you can activate a phone and account without applying for the FAN right away.

8. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Student FANs are only applied to the voice plan, they have no issue with the data plans.

9. Raska macrumors 6502

Ah I didn't realize there were different types of FAN accounts.

10. walds11 macrumors 6502a

I have a FAN account through my employer. I had absolutely no issues pre-ordering my 3GS directly through Apple last June. I get a discount on voice and data, but no discount on text plans.

11. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Exactly. Currently, the only FAN programs that will run into some issues are if the ones where your employers pay the bill for you or buy the device for you. If you have an Individual FAN where you get a discount off the bill, then you are good to go.

12. Raska macrumors 6502

That's good to know. Like I said above I've seen so much information, much of it conflicting, about where to go and how painful it will be to upgrade a FAN account if you go to Apple.

13. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

Will you be able to use your FAN discount on the new data plans like some could do on the old?

14. me2000 macrumors 6502

Nope. Anything under $30 isn't eligible for the discount. Which is why I won't be changing my plan because I pay $23 for my data plan with the discount.

15. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

happened to me on the 3g didnt on the 3gs. so i guess they fixed it.

16. weezite thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome, glad to know that they fixed this. Thanks for your help everyone.

17. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

This is how my FAN account is set up also.

18. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

How do I find out if I can get a student FAN discount, I go to college and I wanna see if its possible to get any kind of discount on my monthly bill.

19. elephunkman macrumors 65816

20. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

Mine as well. My company doesn't pay for my phone line, but I do get a discount though them at AT&T. I just gave them a call to see if they could shed any light on the info and it seems they have fixed all of the weird problems in the past. The rep told me that I could get the phone anywhere and activate it as normal (plus the 18 Dollar upgrade fee that every one pays). Craziest thing is that she also said that the Data Pro plan (2gb for $25) was also eligible for a discount. I was shocked when I heard that.

21. walds11 macrumors 6502a

I emailed customer care about the discount once they drop the unlimited plan. They said that the $25 plan will be eligible for the discount. I get 28% off, so net $21.60 for the unlimited data plan. I am keeping the unlimited plan. Why wouldn't I? Duh!

22. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

They told me the same thing on the phone. Unfortuantly, the 4G/HD/whaterver will be my first iPhone so i get stuck with the new plans. At least I can still get a discount :cool:

23. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

Good to know you can get a discount on the data plans. Makes it more enticing..

24. walds11 macrumors 6502a

Discount only applies to the $25 plan, not that $15 plan.

25. elephunkman macrumors 65816

You never know... AT&T could pull something out of their a$$.