Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kwanbis

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2008
kwanbis,
This version is specifically made for the Mac Pro. I have no idea how or if it will work on a MacBook new old or otherwise.
Hi. I'm talking about http://www.derman.com/Download/Special/MBpFanControl.html

First off, your MacBook has only one fan, not two. Reason Fan Control says you have two is so it is compatible with the MacBook Pro which has two fans.
Perfect.

The lower threshold is the minimum temperature you want the fans to start speeding up (it is a graph, visualise it) and the upper threshold is the temperature you'd want the fan to be going full blast. Obviously, the lower the threshold is the steeper the graph will be. If your CPU was 60'C, then the fan would be at xxxx RPM.
Any "best practices" for MacBooks?

Thanks.

justit

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
I hate having a quiet studio and hearing fans constantly - sooo annoying!

With SMC Fan Control, you could create an applescript or just run terminal /Applications/smcFanControl.app/Contents/Resources/smc -k F0Mx -w xxxx

the last 4 is the hex speed value. There's a thread somewhere on all speeds. Works great for mbooks

Cancelled
Jan 19, 2008
ok now I'm confused

whats the best fancontrol to have for a Mac Pro (8core xeon) ?

I have version 2.1.3.1 now

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Any "best practices" for MacBooks?

For my MacBook Pro, these are my settings.

fan_c.png

sOwL

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2007
Nerd Cave
The latest version of smcFanControl (2.1.3.1) still shows the pop up saying it's not been tested on a MacPro. I like to report that on occasions the Fans get stuck regardless of what setting you set them too... Now, I wonder is there a programming glitch...

i have 2.1.3.1 on a macpro1,1 and it works perfectly fine

RoeIncarnate

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2008
Mac Pro Fancontrol

ok now I'm confused

whats the best fancontrol to have for a Mac Pro (8core xeon) ?

I have version 2.1.3.1 now

Attached is a version that I built to use on my Mac Pro (8core xeon - MacPro1,1).

I built it to use the "Memory Module" Temperatures since those get the hottest on my computer.

Attachments

• Source Code Mac Pro.zip
    124 KB · Views: 265
  • Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    36.2 KB · Views: 144

Cancelled
Jan 19, 2008
Attached is a version that I built to use on my Mac Pro (8core xeon - MacPro1,1).

I built it to use the "Memory Module" Temperatures since those get the hottest on my computer.

is it better than this:
fan.png

also how can I install yours ? (I'm pretty n00b at installing sourcecodes/terminal) this is my first mac

[esit] picture says 2900 but thats not the setting I'm using, I've set everything to 900RPM

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
is it better than this:

also how can I install yours ? (I'm pretty n00b at installing sourcecodes/terminal) this is my first mac

[esit] picture says 2900 but thats not the setting I'm using, I've set everything to 900RPM

Setting my system to 900rpm will make it over heat!! Last thing I want are 4 dead HD's

smcFanControl can run the fans to max and cause so much annoyance in the cooling process.
Most annoying when your office/studio is working with sound.

RoeIncarnate

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2008
Why Not smcFanControl

Why didn't you use smcFanControl? Do you get more features with that one?

I used to use smcFanControl, but it just sets the fan speeds, you have manually adjust them when you computer gets too hot or you have just have to run the fans high all the time (which is loud and annoying).

With FanControl it adjusts the fan speeds based on the temperature so as the computer heats up, it increases the fan speed to cool the computer, but if the computer is cool (ie: no load or an A/C is on) the fans slow down and get quieter.

So YES FanControl has more features.

Cancelled
Jan 19, 2008
Setting my system to 900rpm will make it over heat!! Last thing I want are 4 dead HD's

smcFanControl can run the fans to max and cause so much annoyance in the cooling process.
Most annoying when your office/studio is working with sound.

wow..
I think something is wrong with your mac,
if you set minimum to 900RPM and it overheats you should call Apple

Mine is set to 900RPM and it's allways around 26C

Trip.Tucker

Mar 13, 2008
I used to use smcFanControl, but it just sets the fan speeds, you have manually adjust them when you computer gets too hot or you have just have to run the fans high all the time (which is loud and annoying).

With FanControl it adjusts the fan speeds based on the temperature so as the computer heats up, it increases the fan speed to cool the computer, but if the computer is cool (ie: no load or an A/C is on) the fans slow down and get quieter.

So YES FanControl has more features.

Awesome. I'm switching! :D

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
I have a new interest in fan control as my fans in my mac pro are ALL RUNNING AT FULL SPEED right now (have to yell as the room is so loud!).

The tech who apple sent out to swap the logic board clipped one of the heatsink wires so the machine has reverted to full fan speed I guess as a safety feature. But it's been a week and I'm waiting on a replacement from apple.

smcfancontrol is not working.

Is there a way to turn DOWN my fans- - I know it's not overheating, it's just a bad sensor report.

advTHANKSance!

Oh, and does this fan control program (looks very nice!) work on mac pro - it says iMac.

davepk

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2006
... clipped one of the heatsink wires ... Is there a way to turn DOWN my fans

Chances are none of these fan control programs are going to reduce your fan speeds.

Your best bet would be to fix the clipped wire. If the wire was clipped into two wires it should not be difficult to fix. However if it was pulled off the motherboard it will be much harder to fix.

With the exception of the power supply setting in my version of fan control these fan control programs work by regulating the Minimum fan speed. They dont change the commanded fan speed or the maximum fan speed.

Currently, your mac is commanding the fans to max speed and no amount of changing the minimum fan speed will affect that.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
DavePK,

I seem to be having a little problem with this, why is it just showing zeros for temps? and very odd and erratic fan speeds!!

I've downloaded the MacBookPro version from the site..

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    70.1 KB · Views: 126

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
DavePK,

I seem to be having a little problem with this, why is it just showing zeros for temps? and very odd and erratic fan speeds!!

I've downloaded the MacBookPro version from the site..

I had that issue too.

Try resetting the SMC.

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
Anyone had a crack at updating this for the 2009 mac pro?

I shall have mine along in a few days so I can help anyone who knows what they are doing.

I've used Xcode before but only with basic C++ :eek:

j2048b

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2009
Cali
just found this posting and was hoping to see any updates if there are any?

thanks!!

great program

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.