Fan noise while on a very low CPU usage? (15-inch 2015 rMBP)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by drewjonn, Jul 9, 2016.

1. drewjonn macrumors regular

Something I literally wouldn't expect coming. I had only two applications opened by the time (Google Chrome and Spotify) I was even using it on a desk, I also happened to check the activity monitor to only find my CPU usage at around 11% including the usage for activity monitor. Noise lasted at around 1 minute btw. (probably less)

I have no clue what caused the fan noise honestly. Especially for a newly bought Macbook (I literally never thought such a small usage would affect the i7 core)

Anything I should check out probably?

2. MRxROBOT macrumors 6502

MRxROBOT

All you're missing is Adobe Flash and you'd have just named the trifecta of needlessly power hungry apps. Chrome and Spotify are your culprits here. Best advice is to switch to Safari and just close Spotify when not in use, even better to use Spotify via the Web GUI. I made a thread recently regarding Spotify's high CPU usage here.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Also, check that you are showing All Processes in your Activity Monitor, and not just "My Processes".

And, perhaps not related to actual CPU use - run one of the various system monitors that can show both your fan speed, and the temperatures reported by the various temp sensors. That can help you decide what is causing the fans to crank up. It will be one or more of the temp sensors, or CPU current. If the GPU is heating up, for example, that won't appear in your Activity monitor - but your fan will be cranked.

BTW - fans are a Good Thing™.
    It spins up for a bit to cool things down, then spins back to idle. That's how it's supposed to work.

4. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Chrome is definitely the problem.

It causes reduced battery life and the fans to run constantly.

Use Safari instead.