Fan Of Green Day?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ouimetnick, Mar 21, 2010.

1. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

So talking about music, i think Green day is my favorite band... well it's the only band I listen to these days. Are any of you fans of them? Do you think they suck, or are decent? Do you have any albums/songs by them?

Opinions please.

2. splitpea macrumors 6502a

I like their early stuff, but they sort of drifted into bland power-pop after teir first album or two... and I can skip that.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think in order to last 15 years they had to sort of become over-produced. I do like them still, but their music took a definite shift towards being very produced. I believe they still have it in them and they've managed to stay fairly strong over time. Their fate could have been similar to Blink 182 when they tossed out an emo-pop album that I believe may have ended their reign.

4. BigTroll macrumors member

"the Longview" i swear thats the song to my life.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I haven't really listened to their stuff in years. It was big when I was in school but I gave up on following the latest music when we lost Sky TV. Now I just really don't like their sound, can tolerate their old stuff though. Barely.

6. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

They're ok. I'm indifferent towards them. This thread reminded me I have 21st Century Breakdown which I just listened through :)

7. canes960 macrumors 6502

I used to like them but now know they are a bunch of punks

8. gibbz macrumors 68030

9. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

21st Cent. is meh. I though half of American Idiot was decent tho.

10. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I think they suck. They're just American faux punk soccer mom music.

11. Alston.Alfred macrumors newbie

Restless Heart Syndrome and Last Night on Earth. Both are from the album 21st Century Breakdown. Hope I helped!

12. ouimetnick thread starter macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

I only have 2 songs from 21st Century Breakdown. Last Night On Earth, and 21 Guns. Last Night On Earth is my favorite from that Album. I also have the "delux" version of American Idiot, and love almost all those songs, esp Wake Me Up When September Ends,American Idiot, Boulevard Of Broken Dreams.

I prefer Last Night On Earth Live: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcE-WaSyw2g It sounds more relaxing.

Thanks for all you opinions everybody. Keep them coming

13. Nitromaster macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Nokia N70-3 Ireland-Opera: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

I love them :)
    both the older stuff...and new :)
    bands change, it's called evolution. Doesn't mean they get worse.
    I'm sure we all know of those extremely generic bands...whose all albums sound the same. Now that's bad music.
    I'm going to see them 4 times in June as well .D

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I've been a fan for years and bought most of their albums. Once the Ramones were through, someone needed to pick up the slack and Green Day did an admirable job.

Who's the next band I should be paying attention to? At 49 I've lost track of what's the latest and greatest. Anybody want to give an old man a clue?

15. bort737 macrumors newbie

16. dado1 macrumors member

17. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

Hard to believe they're still the same band I saw playing my college quad in front of maybe 100 people back in 1991, but they're still pretty decent for such a mainstream band.

Now if I could go back and tell my 1991 self that those guys would go on to sell millions and millions of records...

18. Ramonesmania macrumors newbie

Yep, they're a great band, saw em last october, fantastic show. But I much prefer their older albums, the new one got old fairly fast, american idiot was pretty good though. The compilation 1039/smoothed out slappy hours is ****ing gold, especially some of the guitar solos.

19. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

They are a bit naff if I'm honest. This so called Punk Rock they do is a bit tame.

20. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

yeah.. it's more pop-rock.

21. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

It's as far from punk, which is all DIY, as you can get.

22. PandaOnslaught macrumors regular

PandaOnslaught

i'm 100% with this guy, they make really horrible music, if you searched more you would find some way more deserving bands of their fame, green day broken down is so bad, the singing is HORRIBLE, guitar riffs are lame, bass = lol wut, and drums are the same thing every single time, i mean most generic awful music that i've heard in a long time. they are talentless and got really famous, almost like every band that makes it big, only in the 80s did talented mean anything to the general public, now Kie$ha get famous, lil wayne gets famous, they don't even have a live show where they don't lip sync, please save the music, listen to real stuff.

if your in it for the signing try bands like - circa surive, isles $ glaciers, stuff like that

if you in it for guitar - the faceless, necrophagist, decrepit birth

drums - nile, anything with Frost in it

bass- good luck finding anything that promotes bass unless you like primus

23. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

I think Greenday is quite... well... horrible, to be honest. They make this über standard American mainstream rock pop music that I can't stand. I thought Dookie was okay, though. But nothing more than that.

24. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

To be honest, I had no idea they were still around. When I first heard them in the 90's I thought they were ok, not great. The put on English accent is kind of lame IMO

25. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I had no idea they made more than one album or were still around. So going by the first album which is all that I own of their music they are decent. I only really ever listened to them during high school.

My favorite artist/band is a toss up between Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Ozzy Osbourne, Frank Sinatra and Mozart.