Fantastical Maker Flexibits Launches 'Cardhop' Interactive Contact Management App for Macs

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 18, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Flexibits, the company that makes popular calendar app Fantastical, today launched a new contacts management app, Cardhop. Designed to be more than just a simple contacts app, Cardhop is interactive and is designed to be your communications hub, allowing you to email, message, and interface with your contacts from one central location.

When developing Cardhop, Flexibits aimed to do the same thing for contacts that it did for the calendar - turn an app that can be dull, unintuitive, and slow into a robust, streamlined app that offers a lot more utility.

Cardhop imports all of your contacts from your Mac (which are typically also synced with iOS devices using iCloud) and it provides an interface that makes it easy to search for an existing contact or add a new one using the same natural language parsing that's available in Fantastical.

[​IMG]

A search for "Eric" for example, will bring up the card for a contact named Eric, with information like phone number, email address, birth date, home address, Twitter handle, Facebook profile, Skype username, and more. There are dozens of fields that can be added for each contact.

[​IMG]

Entering a phrase like "Eric 867-5309 work" will automatically add the phone number you entered to Eric's contact card under the work heading, and similar phrases can be used to quickly update or remove information for all contacts. Added information will sync to the default Apple Contacts app.

If you start typing a name that's not already in your contacts list, Cardhop will automatically add a new entry with the information. Groups of contacts are also supported, so you can create a group like "work" to automatically send an email or a message to everyone you work with.

[​IMG]

Cardhop's most useful feature is perhaps its quick actions. Every contact card in Cardhop features four customizable quick action buttons for interacting with contacts and performing tasks like placing a call, sending a tweet, or sending an email. The following quick actions are available: Call, Copy, Directions, Email, FaceTime, FaceTime Audio, Large Type, Message, Skype, Telegram, Twitter, URL, and VoIP.

Clicking on one of the quick action buttons performs the task assigned to the button, but typing a quick action like "Skype Eric" or "Message Eric" also works. When using the call feature, there's also an option to place the call on your iPhone from your Mac using Bluetooth. Cardhop has the potential to save time in a workflow because it automates tasks that would normally take several clicks.

[​IMG]

Cardhop also takes advantage of the underused "note" feature available in the default Contacts app, making a notes section front and center for each contact in the app. Notes can be used to add details about contacts that you want to remember, leading to richer interactions.
    Cardhop is normally priced at $19.99, but to celebrate its launch, Flexibits is offering it for $14.99 for a limited time. Cardhop can be downloaded from the Mac App Store.

Article Link: Fantastical Maker Flexibits Launches 'Cardhop' Interactive Contact Management App for Macs

2. Fran6cojL macrumors newbie

Fran6cojL

I need this! but! with a historical view of all communications with my contacts.

If it had a history / activity for each contact so i can neatly have all my emails organized it would be awesome.

We need a windows my people functionality like on mac

3. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

I'm a big, big fan of Fanstastical its a huge part of my workflow. I'd like to try this out but I'm not sure if i need it.

4. carrrrrlos macrumors 6502a

carrrrrlos

Because Two Door Cinema Club was too expensive?

5. RimasM macrumors newbie

I like how $14.99 becomes 16.99€ despite of 1USD ~ 0.85€

6. AJ Mac25 macrumors newbie

AJ Mac25

There is a free trial download on the company's webpage.

7. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

This seems to try to solve a problem I’m not sure I have.

8. polymersayb macrumors regular

Hate to be negative here because I strongly believe in paying for quality software, but I won't be getting this.

Fantastical 2 was such a disappointment for me. It tries to do everything (and is priced accordingly) but all I wanted was a modern-looking update to the menu bar dropdown. The worst thing is I had mysterious syncing bugs which I could never track down... events would just not be on my calendar on either my computer or phone even though I know I added them. That plus other minor annoyances (flaky notifications, random weird interpretation of the input text), slow support, and no apparent fixes after several updates just made me delete it. Still miss it (smart input and calendar sets were amazing) but such critical software needs to work flawlessly without effort. I don't want to risk anything like that with my contacts management, and unfortunately Flexibits has permanently lost my trust.

9. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Fantastical makes great products, but I don’t see this one being too useful to me. Apple’s Contacts works pretty well and is already integrated across all of my platforms.

10. nutmac macrumors 601

As to be expected from Flexibits, Cardhop feels and looks amazing.

I am a bit underwhelmed by depth of features, however. I was hoping for more feature parity with BusyContacts, which integrates and shows Calendar and Reminders events tied to each contact, along with recent email.

As it stands, it's a beautiful version of Contacts app.

11. zhang96 macrumors member

Two things with this company:
    Their apps are overpriced.
    Their apps are f**king amazing.

12. ahmadof macrumors member

Does this scan a card? If the contacts app did this, I wouldn't need anything else

13. morcutt11 macrumors 6502

morcutt11

Using Spotlight to find and launch contacts seems just fine. I'm not see where this really gains me anything. I already use Fantastical, which is a great (albeit expensive) product, but I'm not seeing it here with CardHop.

14. soco71 macrumors newbie

soco71

They made another app specifically for chat history called, Chatology, which is available for trial and purchase on their website.

15. kissmo macrumors 6502a

I agree.
    But at least they have no subscription based thing.

16. Kaibelf macrumors 68020

Kaibelf

Is there some kind of tariff in play? Certainly it’s not as simple as basic exchange rates.

17. GIZBUG macrumors 68000

GIZBUG

Wonder if this will come to IOS anytime in the near future.

18. jphall macrumors member

I've been using BusyContacts since it came out, very full featured app with an Activity pane for Calendar/Mail/Messages/Twitter history if you so desire.

https://www.busymac.com/busycontacts/index.html

I've been using BusyMac apps for well over a decade, really great apps!

19. Fran6cojL macrumors newbie

Fran6cojL

YOU ARE THE MAN!! i have been looking for something like this for a while now!!!

20. nutmac macrumors 601

There are essentially 3 tiers of highly native Mac contacts management apps.
    1. Cardhop ($14.99): Prettier and more intuitive reimagining of Apple's Contacts app.
    2. BusyContacts ($49.99): More Outlook-like all-in-one CRM style contacts app that integrate with Contacts, Calendar, Reminders, Mail.
    3. Daylite ($345.95 or $24/month): Full featured CRM solution, with lead and project management.
    I was hoping Cardhop would at least integrate with Flexibit's own Fantastical and Chatology, but alas, its functionalities in the first version remains focused and limited.

21. GIZBUG macrumors 68000

GIZBUG

Does this app make it easy to import / sync contact pictures (especially with Facebook?). That is the one area I'm concerned about; have all these contacts, no pictures. Don't want to enable sync with Facebook as most have fake #'s and email addresses on FB, and don't want them mixing/messing up the real info I have on the phone....

22. Bwat23 macrumors newbie

Bwat23

I love Fantastical 2, have it on all of my devices, and use it daily. The price for the desktop version was worth it for me as it allows me to see appointments and tasks in one place. Here are my first thoughts on Cardhop:

1) For what it does, it is great. Well-designed (no surprise there), intuitive, and user friendly.

2) For the price, I was expecting a full stand-alone contacts app, not just a menu bar utility. This seems more like a $9.99 item that should launch for $4.99. (I still think Flexibits should "part out" Fantastical and sell the menu bar portion separately for $9.99 as an option for those who don't need the full app)

3) For me, this would have been better launched on iOS first. Most of the time that I need access to my contacts is when I am out and about, not in front of my computer. The "front and center notes pane" would be super helpful heading into appointments. If they had hooked me there first, ponying up for the full app on the desktop might not have seemed such a leap.

I'll use the demo until it expires and then see if I want to go all in. Here's hoping the iOS version is coming sooner rather than later.

23. dumastudetto macrumors 68040

These are the innovations you just don't see on other legacy computing platforms anymore. Even though I continue to believe the Mac is not long for this world, iOS 11 and iPad is all you truly need, there's still a good amount of quality software being developed for the Mac.

Compare macOS to Windows 10 which feels like the world has stood still for a decade and all the old Windows developers retired or went elsewhere (many did, they embraced iOS development) with nothing ever happening anymore.

24. LDNA macrumors newbie

LDNA

So they literally made a Contacts version of Fantastical that no one asked for and it has fewer features and it’s only on macOS and costs almost $30 (AUD). I see.

Import taxes.

25. vjl323 macrumors regular

I just wanted to second the opinion of someone else - BusyContacts is what you need.
    https://www.busymac.com/busycontacts/index.html

They also make a great calendar that I like over Fantastical, but you don't have to use it with BusyContacts - it's a standalone product that is basically a power user's version of Contacts ....gives you all kinds of info about each contact, e.mail history, messages history, etc. I really like it [i'm not an employee there - just a very happy customer of both of their products, though i wish their BusyCal for iOS was a bit snappier].