FAO: American users. How much data are you transferring a month via EDGE?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ascender, Oct 19, 2007.

1. ascender macrumors 68000

Just wondering if any of the American owners can help out please. In the UK we're debating the pros and cons of the announced "unlimited" data plan, which, like most unlimited plans is anything but.

Are any of you able to give us a rough idea of how much data you're transferring in a typical month via the EDGE connection?

Thanks,

Mike.

2. dr_lha macrumors 68000

On my phone I would say about 20Mb per month combining in and out data. That said, the US has far more free WiFi access than the UK. I get free WiFi almost everywhere I go in town here, but on a recent trip to the UK, could I get free WiFi anywhere I tried (and I tried a lot as I turned off EDGE roaming), could I bollocks.

3. BigDaddy5 macrumors member

so far, less than 50 megs. But like the previous user, I use a lot of wifi. Probalby 2-3x as much. I still have a week left in my billing cycle, though.

4. Morgo macrumors member

I'm a UK user with O2 using the data bolt on. in the last two weeks i've notched up 72Mb of use which is email checking (auto check every 5 mins) and light web browsing (10mins a day perhaps).

5. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

I average between 250MB to about 500MB per month. I get my money's worth ;)

6. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

Apparently just shy of 100MB they way I'm going.

7. ascender thread starter macrumors 68000

Interesting that 4 out of the 5 replies all come under the 200Mb limit which O2 are wanting to impose. I realise this isn't very scientific and that everyone's needs will differ, but at least its actual data from actual users instead of just speculation.

8. ~Phi macrumors regular

Usually around 400 - 500mb. I use a lot of EDGE while at work.

9. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

20 mb or less, but I have a lot of access to wifi so I don't use it that often.

10. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

About 150 meg sent/received since the 1.1.1 update (which required a hard restore bc of some, um, things I had done with the phone...).

So, from whenever that was made available (pretty sure I did it the first day it was), do the math.

11. Project macrumors 68020

Yes it is interesting.

While the 200MB limit sucks I have to say that the vast majority of my time is spent either at home or at uni, and I will be using Wifi at both. So actual EDGE usage would be minimal... perhaps just Mail checking and when I need to find a telephone number in Google Maps

12. spicoli macrumors member

230 meg for Aug
    239 meg for Sept
    243 meg for Oct

email check every five minutes, occasional web browse (10 min a day), weather lookup (few times a week), and occasional google maps lookup (a few times a week).

13. mkjj macrumors 6502a

mkjj

With McDonald's now offering free Wi-Fi (should be all units by end of year) and Weatherspoons/Lloyds No1 also offering freeish (you have to buy at least a drink) EDGE use may be kept under the 200mb mark for most.

Add that to the Cloud 60 hrs per month.

You'll end up being a fat b*@tard or an alcholic though!:D

14. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Me too. My bill hasn't come home with less that 400mb of use yet (exlcuding the the first month which was prorated).

I don't use very much wifi.

15. Twinkie macrumors regular

105.8 mb, and that's polling e-mail from three different accounts every 15 minutes, and pulling up a few web pages every day.

I use my wireless connection at home, but typically don't do anything with data on my iPhone when I'm home (other than it checking for mail).

16. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'm at 50.8 MB Received...

and 3.5 MB sent, with the bulk of that with EDGE. I've had my iPhone since October 11, 2007. I've found that EDGE has been amazing v. WiFi, and much faster.:cool:

17. artemka macrumors member

same here, not even bothering WiFi plus it eats battery much faster. I'm taking full advantage of what i'm paying for. LOL

18. Vegeta-san macrumors 6502

actually, that is a rampant but incorrect assumption. I was recently linked to a study done with iPhone wifi on/off and data consumption. Leaving wifi on, even if you are not actually around a wifi signal got much better battery life than strictly using EDGE. I was in disbelief(as my PSP used to get horrible battery life when using wifi) , but I
    have since left my wifi on to test what I read and I can say now that the study was right. One gets much better battery life leaving wifi on and letting the iPhone choose for itself whether to use a faster, available network (wifi) or use EDGE when wifi is not available. If there's interest, I'll attempt to find the study I am referring to. Later

19. roblawton macrumors 6502

I'm interested in the study... sounds intriguing!

It kinda makes sense though, Rather than be connected to EDGE constantly, just let iPhone make the wise choice as to which would be better, and less power-hungry! :cool:

20. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

How are people checking for mail every 5 minutes? My phones only options are Manual, Every 15 Minutes, Every 30 Minutes and Every Hour. Running 1.1.1

21. Vegeta-san macrumors 6502

Here's teh link: http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=3036

First two graphs lies the data in question. Third graph says EDGE is better than WIFI for Youtube viewing...Hope it helps! later

22. dogtanian macrumors 6502

dogtanian

Great post!

Thanks yanks ;) We Brits need some real world tests to make sure we're not going to be buying a useless brick with our restrictive data tariff. Looks like a mixed bag of answers really.

I expect the Germans and the French users would find this useful too. Nice one Ascender.

23. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

Just have OCD and do it manually.

24. RL600 macrumors member

25. amemoryoncelost macrumors 6502

sent: 142mb
    received: 1.1GB

Not sure when that's from. I've never reset the phone and I'm running 1.0.2, you're guess is as good as mine. Was a production asst. on a feature film recently and spent a lot of time watching equipment, which meant lots of time sitting around with nothing but an iphone.