Fare thee well Verizon...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by karleaglemac, Dec 31, 2008.

1. karleaglemac macrumors regular

karleaglemac

Fare thee well Verizon, I hardly knew ye.

Although our relationship lasted over four years of service agreement contracts, I’ve decided to move on. You never dropped a call for me, your charges were always well within reason, and your customer service was nothing less than top-notch. However, you couldn’t give me what I wanted.

Now I’m with another carrier, but more importantly I’m with the mobile device that I waited so long for you to provide; the iPhone. Sure AT&T’s service is spotty and I’ve already dropped more calls in two weeks than I ever have with you. Yes, surfing Safari on 3G drains my battery faster than a ’87 Volvo with the headlights left on. But I finally have an iPhone! And it’s beautiful!

Yes it has it’s downfalls (AT&T and battery life), but it’s also an iPod, a camera, a browser, a calendar/planner (that I can actually use), and pretty much any thing else that I need it to be thanks to the App Store. You had your chance. Apple pitched an offer to you, but you couldn’t do it. You wanted too much, and now you’ve lost me.

It’s interesting how things work out sometimes. Goodbye Verizon.

2. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

I bet it's hard leaving such a nice network like Verizon.
    But most importantly- you've got the iPhone of your dreams. You will enjoy every bit of it- despite AT&T.
    Nice ode of farewell to Verizon by the way. :)

3. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

i'm stuck with Verizon so i'm going to cope with my problems with a Voyager that i'm impatiently waiting my Dad to get for me. i don't mean to sound like i'm an ass, but he promised he'd take me to Verizon like a week ago and he has no intentions of going in the next couple days.

4. karleaglemac thread starter macrumors regular

karleaglemac

It is hard. Especially after how great their coverage is. I'm thinking (hoping) that AT&T's coverage is only going to improve as time goes on. In the meantime, I've got an incredible mobile device.

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'm not at all impressed with Verizon after I found out my aunt and uncle had a pair of phone lines with them that weren't put under a family plan. They were paying $100/month for 2 lines. I'm paying $100/month for an iPhone and 2 other lines. Someone should've told them about the family plan and saved them $30/month.

People rave about Verizon's network, but I seriously can't think of many places that aren't extremely boondocky that AT&T has any problems. AT&T makes up for those shortcomings with the rollover minutes. There's no need for me to EVER get more than 550 minutes with them. I can't even use that spread out over 3 lines!

6. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I live in Phoenix, and I don't notice any difference in coverage using any cell phone network here. I've tried AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, and Sprint, and they all get great coverage here. The only one that has crappy coverage in this area would be Cricket, IMO., Though T-Mobile & AT&T seems to have trouble when I am riding the light rail...does the train move too fast for the cell tower to keep up...I highly doubt it, the train runs on surface streets above ground, and goes the posted speed limit, and to top it off, I was in the center of downtown phoenix on the train, so I do not see why my iPhone gets only one bar when I am on the train, but when I am off the train, I get full. Can anyone answer this question for me?, I do not think it is the material of the light rail, because Verizon users get a decent amount of bars while riding it.

7. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Thank you and welcome to what the iPhone is exactly about. Not the best service, but surely the best devise.

8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I left verizon after 2 or 3 years and have now been with AT&T for a year and a half (since the original iphone release). Honestly, I see no difference. Same number of dropped calls (very low), same coverage (excellent), same prices (pretty high). The only advantage verizon ever had for me was service underground on DC's metro, but now that I no longer live there...

9. Resist macrumors 68030

Just goes to show you that a company can have lousy service yet people will still sign up with them.

While I want an iPhone, I don't want AT&T service or their pricing structure. The iPhone isn't enough to get my business.

10. notintheleast macrumors 6502

notintheleast

Just because I live in the woods means I shouldn't get service? :p
    Its kind of unfair really. It's not even like its that rural where I live.

Verizon phones can make and recieve calls and texts at my house and all the way in between here and town, but no other carriers in the area can...

I do like the roll over minutes, though. I barely ever get to use mine anyway. :rolleyes:

11. karleaglemac thread starter macrumors regular

karleaglemac

For the longest time, I didn't think so either, but it has proven me wrong. I don't consider myself to be an Apple Fan Boy by any means at all. As a matter of fact I tend to be more critical of Apple. But honestly, this device is incredible. It was enough for me to switch, and if service only improves, it will be enough for me to stay with AT&T (if Apple and the iPhone stay exclusive with them).

12. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

Personally, I would chose Verizon over ATT any day.
    I have a iPod Touch, and a LG Dare, and I couldn't be more happy.
    Boohoo for all the bitchers out there.

13. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Left Verizon on Monday, and I'm much happier with the call quality with AT&T. Also, I haven't had a dropped call yet, whereas I got at least 1 a day with Verizon. AT&T is far superior to Verizon, IMO.

Don

14. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

I was with Verizon for about nine months in 2004 and the only part of that sentence I agree with is the service. I don't remember a dropped call either, and the actual call quality was excellent, so I can empathize with your decision to leave that quality of service behind.

The iPhone is a great device, as you have found out, and I don't think I could ever go back to using just another phone.

Jude

15. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Are you on 3G when you have dropped calls? If so, turn 3G off and see if it makes a difference.

I'm curious, because I've been with Verizon for almost 8 years now and I'll be leaving it soon to get an iPhone.

16. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

So, all you AT&T haters out there: Would you pick T-Mobile or Sprint or any other company besides AT&T if they had a iPhone or does it go VZW>AT&T>T-Mobile/Sprint ?

17. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Glad I didn't have to make the choice! Verizon when I left it was quite bad at my home, didn't even get service 99% of the time. AT&T I now get 3G in some places at home, and EDGE in my some of basement

18. goodcow macrumors 6502a

I'm in Woodstock, NY for five days and have NO SERVICE.

Meanwhile, my other friends with Verizon all have service.

AT&T's network is sh't.

19. SmartIndianKid macrumors regular

SmartIndianKid

Interestingly enough, I'm in the exact opposite boat as you. I greatly enjoy apple products, except the iPhone. I'm also a fan of AT&T's coverage and options, but can't stand Verizon. Heh, to each his own I guess.

I'm glad your iPhone is working out for you.

20. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

:rolleyes:

All depends where you are!

21. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

First time I've ever seen someone be a fan of both apple and at&t and not go for an iphone! Almost all the people I know who don't have iphone don't have them because they don't want a smartphone at all (don't want to pay for data) or because they don't like AT&T. I've yet to meet someone who didn't find the actual iphone itself pretty incredible.

22. deneenco macrumors member

deneenco

I was with Verizon for around 4 years. I switched this past June to AT&T specifically for the iPhone. If I could do it over again, I would still be on Verizon, with my enV. Living with the iPhone requires patience, not just the subpar AT&T network, but also the VERY buggy iPhone.

I miss you Verizon.

OH.. and NO, I don't live in the middle of nowhere. I live in very populated Southeast michigan...

23. Branskins macrumors 65816

I live in Macomb and i get full 3G bars everywhere in the city. I also go to college in Ann Arbor and get great service down there.

Strange... =/

24. The Red Menace macrumors member

Just quit Verizon today after I got tired of a pair of Blackberry Pearl "smartphones" only doing half of what they were supposed to. Was with Verizon for 5 years, but they still got me for 280$ in ETF on the way out of the door. I had no problem with them the whole time I had the service, but the fact they charge the ETF on each phone in a family pln is BS :mad:

I love the iPhone so far. Finally a device that works seamlessly with my mac.

25. karleaglemac thread starter macrumors regular

karleaglemac

Therein lies one of the many reasons I will find myself "putting up" with AT&T service. To me, it only seems logical to have a mobile device that works seamlessly with my Mac.